Review Highlights

from $31.80
from $45.10
from $20.80
More Info
All reviews coat check sound quality awesome concert membership fee front row venue for live music amazing sound music lovers stage gigs rnb acts tickets euros cloakroom factory performance
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Visited to attend 2 gigs. The set up was excellent. Great accoustics and lighting. Quite small giving a personal feel to a gig.
It's up there with other great venues such as Ifor Bach in Cardiff.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Cosy and still quite big. Good logistics. Sound is also ok. Beer selection is missing local beers. Easy to reach

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We went here a month ago to Cam in the Sugar Factory. The Sugar Factory is part of the Melkweg. Cam's show was in the small room downstairs, it was perfect, she gave a good show, sound and light were fantastic.

Reviewed October 4, 2018

Granted, the linup in the Melkweg seldomly offers something that interests me. However once in a blue moon, it does feature an artist I follow and that is the only way to see that artist in the Netherlands. Because of that, I've visited the Melkweg twice - for a concert and a standup show - and both times it has been a less than great experience.

Both times the show started about one hour later than it what was indicated in the ticket. To be fair to the Melkweg, I did clear up with a very grumpy staff member that the time in the ticket is for the doors to open and that the show time is announced on their calendar. Indeed I verified in their website that that was the case: the show start was announced below the fold and not in a very prominent place either. It sure looks like the Melkweg is interested in having everyone arriving earlier and stick around the bar to stock up on overpriced beer. One hour may sound like little, but given that I live 1h30 away from Amsterdam and have to wake up early to come back to Amsterdam to work, it makes a big difference.

This venue also forces users to buy a "membership", a ridiculous way for a venue to charge extra. I'm fine if the price of the ticket is higher - in both cases I would have paid double to see these artists. Just don't find excuses to hide fees for services I'm not interested in.

The first show - the concert - not only started late but the announced support artist never came up. This was in no way explained by the Melkweg (I expected it to be mentioned before the band came on stage).

For a standup show, this is definitely not the place. The height of the stage is ridiculously high, making even the artist uncomfortable. Because the music was too loud to be able to keep a conversation, me and my girlfriend decided to get some work done in our phones. However, soon as we sat down and pulled them out we were met with this very aggressive security person who told us that we couldn't use them. So we had to sit there for an hour, staring at the stage while every single other person looked at their phones (for some reason it seemed ok for them to use their devices).

2  Thank xassbit
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

Lively spacious club, where you can get your vibe on as the music is pumping, good atmosphere, people just enjoying the hip hop and other music flavours. Saturday I’d hip hop night. Lots of dus on rotation. Good age spread here......

Reviewed September 17, 2018

I suffered a knee injury shortly before the gig and wasn't sure that I could attend until that date. When I called the venue on the day of the gig to ask for assistance in the form of a barstool or chair, I was told that I was very late and that I should write an email. I did and was subsequently told to arrive 10 minutes before the doors would open or else this wouldn't be possible to arrange. Considering I don't live all that close to Amsterdam, that would mean a significant change in plans. So instead, I asked the band's tourmanager if he could help me out and (surprise, surprise) that was no problem at all.
Upon arrival there were issues with the guestlist (this is the only venue I've ever had this problem - even in Slovakia this is handled better) and the staff, who noticed my crutches, mistook my frustration due to severe pain for rudeness and decided I wasn't "worth" helping, due to my "attitude". I don't think I've ever been treated with less consideration.

Add to that the lack of toilet facilities for disabled people when visiting OZ (I actually had to climb very narrow stairs with crutches to get to the toilet) and the fact the bar closes before curfew and we couldn't get anything to drink after the gig and you'll understand I'll think long and hard before I ever visit this place again.

1  Thank PaulineO1986
Reviewed September 16, 2018

Went to see Fokofpolisiekar in August and Melkweg delivered in heaps on a first time visit. Great sound quality, great lights, video screens etc. Not to mention easy logistics (read: in/afterparty/out), efficient bar service, amenities & everything.

The compact layout makes this a great place for "smaller" bands. As for tix, everything's super easy online — although that obligatory "membership fee" is a bit of a hey-what's-this-now.

Anyway, this is definitely *the* place to enjoy your favorite act — front row center.

1  Thank willisika
Reviewed August 26, 2018

Went to watch Fokofpolisiekar on Friday 24/8. Online booking of tickets was a breeze, although the one month membership is a weird charge. Close enough to public transport ant lots of hotels and hostels.

Getting in the door, coat storage and bar was very efficient. The venue itself, although small compared to Ziggo etc, is perfect for lesser known acts. Sound, lighting etc was just about perfect. A couple of dBs would have been awesome, but that is a sound engineer's decision. All in all, I will be following to see other acts here.

1  Thank martinstander
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

This one of my favourite venues, superb sound system, great space and friendly staff. Looking forward to a return visit this November for Frank Turner show

Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

Went on a Monday to cheeky Monday d’n’b event, did not disappoint.
The lights were crazy adding to the cool vibe of the venue.
Met loads of lovely people and a good space for dancing the night away.
Water was layed out at the bar for quenching the thirst of fellow ravers.