“A Great Day Out In Amsterdam”

ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo
Ranked #20 of 526 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Stroll among the shady trees, admire the diversity of plants and animals, travel to the stars, enjoy our heritage. Visit ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo and experience nature right in the city centre.
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We went to the zoo weds morning by tram from Centraal station,line 9.We bought a tram saver strip for 6.8euro covering 3 of us.Entry was 16.2euro after a discount.
The zoo was very clean and had a great array of animals,including a gorgeous black panther.
There was a great reptile house and monkey house.
Lunch was very reasonably priced in a modern restaurant with very clean toilets.
Staff were very helpfull and happy to discuss the animals.
Altogether a very happy experience and highly recommended,
especially if you have children,for which there were plenty of activities and numerous climbing frames.
There is also a very good aquarium with a crocodile pit.
I have been to Paris zoo and this is superior,although Paris is only 5euros.
Enjoy,
Terry.

2  Thank terryo1

Reviewed October 25, 2007

Myself and my husband have visited amsterdam and artis zoo on a few occasions now and it is just as enjoyable as the first time.The people are friendly the places are clean and i love the shopping,although i dont think my husband likes that much,we are planning a visit at the end of october for christmas shopping.quality time together and cant wait to come, the only problem ,is we have to come home.Great place lots to see and do and lovely to sit in dam square and watch the world go by.

Reviewed October 10, 2007

I went with my boyfriend to the Artis Zoo on our last trip to Amsterdam. I was so disappointed. The big cats (lions etc) were pacing up and down their small enclosures looking very depressed. The sealions were in such small pools too. Some elephants were rocking back and forth and the wolves did not seem very happy either. The animals areas are not any where near big enough for them.
It is a lovely looking Zoo but I would not go again and I certainly above anything else would not recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who loves animals.
On the plus side the staff spoke all different languages as you would expect at a major tourist attraction and were happy and helpful. Just a shame about the animals. :(

I took pictures whilst I was there so if anyone would like to see them then I would be happy to help. It was not a pleasant trip and I will not be going to the Zoo again.

11  Thank princess-layla
Reviewed October 2, 2007

After reading some of the reviews before our trip we were unsure as to wheather we should visit the zoo. As it was the last day of our trip, the weather was nice and we had visited all the major sites we thought we would pay the zoo a visit. We decided to walk from our hotel which was opposite central station, this took about 15 mins.
It cost around 14 Euros to get in, once we were in there was lots of see and do. Some of the animals, Polar bear and Hippo in particular were in a confined area and the poor polar bear was pacing up and down, looking very bored. The Hippo was in a tiny indoor pool, which didnt look very deep, they may of had him in there while they were cleaning his outside area,who knows.
When i saw this poor animals in tiny enclosures i felt guilty for visiting. I wouldnt recommend it to animal lovers.

7  Thank groovychick21
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Almost ruined my trip - nearly cried at the polar bear who looks like he's lost his marbles, pacing and swaying in continuous circles, and the gorilla that just wanted to hide away but there was nowhere to go. Big cats, tiny barred cages. I normally don't mind zoo's - most do great conservation work, but this just seemed to be everything it shouldn't be. I'd never go back.

10  Thank nikkicattrell