“A Wonderful Zoo”

Ranked #19 of 521 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Stroll among the shady trees, admire the diversity of plants and animals, travel to the stars, enjoy our heritage. Visit ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo and experience nature right in the city centre.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a wonderful day at the Artis Zoo. It is a nice size and considering it is one of the oldest zoos and it is very clean and well maintained. There is so much to see, many animals and great exhibits such as the wonderful butterfly exhibit where you are in the exhibit with the butterflies.
Don't let the rain stop you, it rained very heavy for a while when we were there and everyone managed to find shelter in an exhibit or restaurant. The grounds are lovely and it was an easy walk to get there. It was a wonderful oasis in the city. You might also find discount admission tickets online. Go and Enjoy it.

1  Thank Vjay7374
There are newer reviews for ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Arttis belongs to the oldest zoos in Europa and exists since 1832, we spent there many hours and if we would have had more time, we would spend there a couple of days but like they say, there are so many attractions in Amsterdam and you want to see them all, but in Amsterdam go and visit Artis.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went in the summer with our 2 children and had a very nice afternoon. The staff around the place were very nice and friendly. It is well laid out, with lots of variety and extemely clean BUT it is undeniably small. The enclosures for me were far too small. Although they were natural looking the pure lack of space was upsetting. I know it is a city zoo but I was still disappointed by this. Chester Zoo in the UK manages to have much larger enclosures. As I said though, the children had a lovely time and were able to see many animals up close.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Lots of different animals, they got giraffes too (i thought they were warm temp animals). The monkey from the lion king is here, haha. The panther is amazing. The birds are free all over the zoo, and u can take pictures from a close distance (1 mts)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was years since I visited a zoo. I went to visit the resistance museum and was and hour to early (09:00), I found the Artis zoo right across the street and decided to visit (with my I Amsterdam Card). At the end I spent about 3 hours here instead of the intended 1 hour. I liked the animal collection and the nice buildings. It's also very nice to just walk around between the plants and trees. Nice to see this much green in Amsterdam (the Plantage district)