Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $64.20
from $46.70
from $23.40
6,350 results
All reviews butterfly house sea lions big cats lion enclosure animal enclosures wide variety of animals baby elephant animals seem few hours walk around sunny day monkeys planetarium species insectarium habitat jaguar
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I went with my boyfriend to the Artis Zoo on our last trip to Amsterdam. I was so disappointed. The big cats (lions etc) were pacing up and down their small enclosures looking very depressed. The sealions were in such small pools too. Some elephants were rocking back and forth and the wolves did not seem very happy either. The animals areas are not any where near big enough for them.
It is a lovely looking Zoo but I would not go again and I certainly above anything else would not recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who loves animals.
On the plus side the staff spoke all different languages as you would expect at a major tourist attraction and were happy and helpful. Just a shame about the animals. :(

I took pictures whilst I was there so if anyone would like to see them then I would be happy to help. It was not a pleasant trip and I will not be going to the Zoo again.

11  Thank princess-layla
Reviewed October 2, 2007

After reading some of the reviews before our trip we were unsure as to wheather we should visit the zoo. As it was the last day of our trip, the weather was nice and we had visited all the major sites we thought we would pay the zoo a visit. We decided to walk from our hotel which was opposite central station, this took about 15 mins.
It cost around 14 Euros to get in, once we were in there was lots of see and do. Some of the animals, Polar bear and Hippo in particular were in a confined area and the poor polar bear was pacing up and down, looking very bored. The Hippo was in a tiny indoor pool, which didnt look very deep, they may of had him in there while they were cleaning his outside area,who knows.
When i saw this poor animals in tiny enclosures i felt guilty for visiting. I wouldnt recommend it to animal lovers.

7  Thank groovychick21
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Almost ruined my trip - nearly cried at the polar bear who looks like he's lost his marbles, pacing and swaying in continuous circles, and the gorilla that just wanted to hide away but there was nowhere to go. Big cats, tiny barred cages. I normally don't mind zoo's - most do great conservation work, but this just seemed to be everything it shouldn't be. I'd never go back.

10  Thank nikkicattrell
Reviewed June 1, 2007

The zoo was nice but there were some animals that did not have big enough enclosures such as the Lions and other 'big cats'. The Polar bear was the saddest as she paced up and down in the same place for ages, her enclosure looked really small and she seemed like she was going out of her mind. It was sad to see and even my kids were not impressed!

4  Thank TDHenry
Reviewed February 22, 2007

My husband and I took our children to Artis during the summer of 2006 and it was a huge disappointment. As in previous comments, the polar bear was a heartbreaking sight. Just lying on top of brown soil / wood chips etc. Is that really what the Arctic looks like? The hippo was housed in a concrete tank that was only just larger than he was. The aquarium was dingy and the fish tanks just looked dirty. Our overall feeling was that the zoo was definitely showing its age and seemed very neglected. It was hard to feel that the animals were enjoying their enclosures, as they bore no resemblance to their natural habitats. Surely it would be in both the best interest of the animals, as well as that of the visiting public for the facilities to be upgraded. I appreciate the zoo is in the middle of a city, but it is not a positive experience to see animals cramped in old, dingy, concrete enclosures, as the last thing they seem to be is happy.

7  Thank momof3sweeties