“Not good in winter”

Botanical Garden (Hortus Botanicus)
Book In Advance
$77.92*
Amsterdam Small-Group City Segway Tour
Ranked #65 of 526 things to do in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Agree with previous reviewer that too much is missed when visiting in winter. We were disappointed. Probably lovely in summer.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My first mistake was going in the Winter, so most of the outdoor plants were dead! I have tried to take this into account when giving my rating. There was a small butterfly house which was nice, but not the best one I've been to; and a tropical house with some tropical trees and plants. The best bit was the larger tropical house divided into three rooms, tropical, desert, and rainforest. Fascinating with quite a bit of information about the environments and types of plants. It is quite small though. Still, it was a pleasant stroll around, peaceful and relaxing.
There is a small café selling hot drinks (very welcome on that day!) and a small selection of food. The staff were friendly.
Also look out for the cute little manx cat with no tail. Will allow you to stroke him but can turn on you as some poor girl found out!
It was about 8 Euros to get in, probably worth it in spring and summer, when I imagine the gardens to be beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it in Winter. Maybe if they offered a discount in the Winter months.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Wintertime beauty
Glaze of icicles bend leaves
Entombment of frost.

Had to use 100 characters, therefore, Haiku. Haiku when in doubt.

1  Thank Caried1
Reviewed October 31, 2013

we recently stayed in the Tropen hotel unfortunately the day we decided to take a stroll the heavens opened so we went to the botanical gardens which was within walking distance of our hotel what a worth while experience, would recommend this gem for a very relaxing time out . Loved the butterfly house and full of interesting information on plants .

1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed October 27, 2013

A very calm and green setting. The green houses were wonderful and they had stairs and bridges to get a birds eye view as well. This was a great way to take a break and enjoy natures beauty while in a city. I really enjoyed the lily pond.