“OK Room, but great location”

Conservatorium Hotel
Ranked #18 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel with my wife. First of all the interior design of the hotel is magnificent.The location is excellent. We had a suite facing the street, which was a little noisy due to the trams, but the view was great.

Room Tip: Make sure that you visit the Spa and the pool which are both excellent and rare in Amsterdam.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know how much you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. It is always our desire to provide a seamless experience for our guests and to ensure a memorable visit. We hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Conservatorium Hotel

Reviewed January 12, 2014

a great new hotel with all luxuries in the middle of Amsterdam, next to the musea. We were staying for our honymoon and my partner and I loved it. Great services, most beautiful room at a corner of the building, ceiling 8 metres up, windows at both sides overlooking town, great breakfast, cute staff, nice gym, sauna, pool etc etc. I think the best hotel there is in town. the staff arranged a nice present in the room and at lunch, just great, loved it!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all: congratulations on your wedding! We are very happy that we were able to host this special trip. Your kind words give us great encouragement and we thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your wonderful experience at the Conservatorium Hotel. We hope you have the chance to visit us again in the future for another great stay.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from 7 nights at the Conservatorium over New Years and it was outstanding. My new "go to" hotel in Amsterdam for sure. I had typically stayed at the Dylan for about a decade now (where my room was NEVER upgraded upon checking for loyal return customer), but Conservatorium has edged them out.

Room - I stayed in a Van Baerle Suite on the fifth floor. Large, soaring ceilings, huge windows, and the feeling of spaciousness. Bathroom and huge tub were amazing. Bed and pillows were superbly comfortable, and the bed sheets and towels of the highest quality for a hotel. Four televisions in the room (although the one built into the bathroom mirror not working). Room was serviced twice a day and housekeeping was the tops.

Service - From the doormen, to the warm greeting from front desk and concierge, to the staff in the hallways...all warm and welcoming.

Food - Had two meals in Tunes Restaurant, breakfast in the Brasserie, and drinks and snacks on Tunes bar. Tunes Restaurant was very memorable. Perfect service and comfortable atmosphere. Had the single best vegetarian meal in my life (8 course veg tasting menu) and I'm not even vegetarian. Great wine pairings. A view of the amazing staff in the open kitchen made my meal even better. My only feedback is that service in the Brasserie at breakfast was inconsistent depending on who was waiting on you. One day it was great, the next I would be completely ignored while those around me with different waiters were treated very well. Just like all the other reviews state, Brasserie needs some work in service.

Spa - Had a few spa treatments that were wonderful. The spa and gym facilities are top notch and extremely well designed. Very relaxing and zen atmosphere, and gracious and friendly staff. One of the best spa experiences of my life.

Building - The hotel building was grand, gracious, and beautifully done. They spent a ton on money on this place which is apparent. Nothing else like it in Amsterdam. Go in the winter and you will never need to leave...you have everything!

Room Tip: Van Baerle Suite is amazingly comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank frackit

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback on your recent experience at the Conservatorium Hotel. We are very pleased to know that you were able to enjoy so many of the conveniences of our property, including the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Center and the great culinary experience at Tunes Restaurant. We also thank you for highlighting the amazing room features, and the friendly and welcoming staff. We will surely share your kind comments with the entire team, and hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I returned to amsterdam on business and this hotel is still amazing. It is sophisticated and with a buzz.I love the gym and spa which is spotlessly clean.The pool is a joy. The zen spa is always a treat. The manager Tim and his first rate staff do a great job in fitness and spa therapy. It has a lot of NY vibes (my home town ) with a European flare. I would definitely come back again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NYCSBH

Dear guest,

We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your time at our hotel, and the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Center in particular. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to the spa team and it will be great source of motivation to continue their pursuit of the highest standards in spa services. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The decor and architecture are stunning. The spa is attractive, the gym is underequiped but nicely appointed, the showers smell musty and i found the changing area and sauna to have obviously not been cleaned for a few days.
The service is a hit and miss, so you can end up waiting half an hour to even order, or for your food, and that is across the board. Certainly not becoming a five star hotel, I would not return or recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank unklehenry
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience at our hotel. We find it disappointing that although you have shared an appreciation for our décor and architecture, we were not able to fully meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced. Your feedback will be reviewed with the responsible staff members as we are continuously improving our operations. Hopefully you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate the unparalleled service and experience you deserve.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Have stayed in this very nice hotel twice since it opened in 2011 but twice had a problem at arrival. In 2012, although I had informed that my wife was handicapped and uses a wheelchair, we were shown into a suite with a split level..... impossible of course and waited then for a very long time before another appropriate room was ready.
Last December, our suite was not ready on arrival in the afternoon, after check-in time.
We were offered to wait in the lounge where a coffee would be served. However the coffee didn't come because the coffee machine had broken down (?) ( this hotel has Nespresso machines in every room and was unable to serve us a coffee (?) After 1,5 hour waiting we were finally shown into our suite.

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us again and for informing us about your experience at our hotel. I do apologize that on both of your stays the check-in did not go as smoothly as it should. I can assure you that this is not the warm welcome that we want to extend to our guests. We hope that we may welcome you back for a third time on which I can assure you that you will not experience the same problems again.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've just returned from staying at this hotel for 3 nights (24-27 December) and wanted to write a fair review while all the details were still fresh in my mind.
I chose this hotel because I have stayed in it several times before and I truly love the outstanding decor, architecture and location of the hotel.
On this occasion I booked a deluxe duplex (room 519) on entering it was spacious, light and just how I remembered. Unfortunately there was a very strong musty/drainage smell present in both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. After calling guest services they sent a maintenance man who let himself in and tried to resolve the problem. We went out for the afternoon and came back to a smell which was much worse than before. After discussing the issue with Floris De Wit on Reception he offered to change our room and at the same time upgrade us which was a nice gesture. We moved to room 801 which is a rooftop suite, spacious, beautiful layout and most importantly odour free!
We settled in and started getting ready for dinner when all the lights went out! It made it somewhat tricky to get ready in the dark but we mentioned it to reception and on our return everything was fixed and back to normal.
Apart from the couple of issues we experienced everything with the room was perfect, a lovely note and bottle of wine and chocolates were left in the room from Floris which was a nice touch. It wouldn't put me off from returning because the issues were dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
I want to move onto the other areas that I visited in the hotel:

The pool area is beautiful, everything was exceptionally clean and I love the dried fruit and nuts, the water and the towels / slippers / robes they offer. It really is a place to relax and rejuvenate.

The Tunes bar is dark and atmospheric with an amazing selection of drinks. The service was hit or miss which is disappointing when there were 4 or more members of staff in what is quite a compact area. It seems quite a popular place for locals to have a drink so it can get pretty busy.

The Lounge (which is the area in between reception and the brasserie) is where I think the hotel has its biggest flaws. The area acts as hotel lobby seating and also a place for snacks and drinks, somewhere to 'lounge' and relax, maybe pre or post dinner but the area is too small and there isn't enough seating for it to accommodate all of these different requirements and all of its guests who are staying in the hotel or non residents. I found it difficult to even get a seat at any time of the day and was told by one waitress that I couldn't reserve, reservations were only for large parties. It was at this point that I decided to complain and they managed to find me a seat about 30 minutes later. This I appreciated as I didn't necessarily want to sit in the dimply lit Tunes bar. The layout of the seating is rather interesting, and I understand the concept but you will find yourself sitting on a sofa or in very close proximity with other people, so I guess it's not the place for a romantic drink or a business chat.

The brasserie is where I ate at breakfast which has a good selection of cold cuts, fruit, pastries etc. I couldn't say its amazing and at 24euros for continental I think its very overpriced. For 6 euros more you can have some hot food cooked to order, which was good but at 30 euros I would expect it to be! I asked for some yoghurt one morning and didn't get it, service on the whole was a tad slow and disorganised and the carpet was messy with food. Coffee and juices seemed to take quite a while to arrive which was disappointing and tables weren't cleared or cleaned even though there seemed to be quite a large number of staff. I also had Christmas day dinner here and I have to say that the service was much better and a really enjoyable experience. The food was good, there was live music/singer and the service was better although again the carpet wasn't cleaned, there were dried crackers and crayons on the floor and under the table. We also ate a late lunch there on the 27th Dec and the food was good, service was poor and the floor had food / crumbs all over it yet again. It's sad to see it in this state.

I mentioned all of my points to the person on reception when we checked out after he asked about our stay and he was apologetic and sincere in his response, however, he also said that the hotel is open to non residents because its such an old beautiful building and they want to give something back to the people of Amsterdam by letting them view it after the massive renovations. I though it to be quite sweet, however, the hotel is a business, not a charity, I understand it's there to make money, get people in and order drinks etc but please pay some preferential attention to the guests that are paying $500 + a night to stay there, and make sure there is enough seating and excellent service is delivered in all areas of your hotel.

I would return for sure as long as I got a good rate.

1  Thank Cheshire81
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear guest,

We are happy that you chose to stay with us during Christmas and thank you for your continued support. We thank you as well for giving us this detailed, step by step description on your findings. Your feedback is certainly very helpful for us, as it highlights the areas that need improvement. I can assure that I will be speaking to the responsible managers to address your issues and to make sure that we will fully meet your needs on your next stay.