We have traveled throughout Europe and stayed at many luxury hotels. Conservatorium is in the top 5% of those for multiple reasons:
1. Responsiveness of staff -- answered all of our questions promptly and politely, gave good advice on restaurants and sights in Amsterdam, were helpful in getting us our room early on the day of arrival after we flew in (exhausted) from the US. Doormen were always friendly and helped in getting cabs and giving directions. Our room was always clean and housekeeping staff were responsive and polite.
2. Design of rooms -- we had a Grand Duplex Suite with a elegant bathroom, closets and sitting area on the main floor and bedroom with another bathroom in the 2nd floor loft. Our windows spanned the height of the room on one side and overlooked the lobby/restaurant with a view to the outside. This gave a brightness to the room that was unmatchable. The curtains pulled down with an electronic mechanism (neat!) Lighting was also electronically amazing though a bit hard to figure out at first. Bathrooms were incredible! Bed was comfy.
3. Design of hotel -- The way that the hotel mixes the old historic building with modern accessories is impressive. I particularly liked the "mobile" of violins in the entrance hallway and the huge open lobby/restaurant.
4. Location -- right across the street from Van Gogh museum and about a block from the Rijksmuseum. Tram stops are right across the street to go to virtually every other part of the city. Many shops and restaurants as well as a full-service grocery store within a block or two.
1. Cost: Although we paid more for our room at the Conservatorium than any of the other hotel rooms on our 2 week trip, the hotel was clearly the best that we stayed in this year. And Amsterdam was the largest city that we stayed in so we expected to pay more. A comparable room in New York City would have cost at least as much and probably more. We knew what the room would cost when we made the reservation (and if we couldn't afford it, we would have stayed elsewhere). Overall, we thought it was a good value for the location and the overall experience.
2. Hotel food: We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but did have breakfast there each morning, having paid for it as part of our reservation. Though it was more costly than grabbing a bite at a local coffee shop, we liked the convenience and the variety of the buffet. The atmosphere was quiet and soothing with classical music overhead and interesting art to view in the nearby glass cases. Staff were always available and responsive in bringing drinks and replenishing the buffet.
3. Spa: We didn't have time to use the spa as we were too busy sightseeing but it looked very inviting.
4. Business Center: Several computers for guests to use as well as a printer, which made it easy to print tickets, maps and information about local sights. Unlike many hotel computers, these were new and worked well.
Conclusion: We really loved the Conservatorium and look forward to returning and to visiting other hotels of The Set!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Home in the Heart of Amsterdam The Conservatorium Hotel is Amsterdam's leading luxury lifestyle palace, evoking glamour and elegance for sophisticated, design-literate travellers. Located in Museum Square, the luxury centre and cultural heart of the city, the Conservatorium is an architectural masterpiece that combines a landmark heritage building with a graceful , contemporary design, offering guests a selection of restaurants, a bar, lounge and the 1,000 sq m Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Facility. A destination hotel with a real sense of place, the Conservatorium is known at home and abroad as 'Amsterdam's Living Room'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Amex, Orbitz, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Conservatorium Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.