“Best dinner we have had in Amsterdam”
Review of Van Speyk

Van Speyk
Ranked #205 of 4,358 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at some of the highest-rated (Michelin 1- & 2-star) restaurants in Amsterdam... The food here beats all of them. Definitely the best meal we have had all week, so far.

Service was very good... No complaints here, though I am accustomed to getting a second or even a third dinner roll (only one served here with no query about whether I wanted more). That's probably the most I can criticize the service, as it was otherwise perfect.

Atmosphere... We say out on the patio and had a great evening chatting up with the people on either side of our table. And we had a beautiful day to be out on the patio. Inside seating appeared to be equally intimate and I think we would have been just as happy inside.

On the food... Taste trumped presentation, which is fine by me. I loved my ribeye steak; my wife loved her lobster. No complaints at all about the food. It was great.

Compared to other places we have eaten here, this was a bargain. Probably half the cost, or less, than, say Bord'Eau, and we were more satisfied with what we got. To us, this was not an expensive dinner but it was MUCH better than other dinners we have had at some multiple of the cost.

If and when I return to Amsterdam, I will definitely come here again... Probably several times.

Make reservations WELL IN ADVANCE, though... This place books up.

1  Thank Keith H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Having read a handful of reviews and being directed by our concierge we arrived. Our reservation had not been properly oh angled (made by hotel) but we were graciously seated nevertheless. The waitstaff was most pleasant though our waiter was not well trained. His familiarity with the menu was oaky but for example when asked the size of the whole lobster it took him about 10 minutes to return from the kitchen to advise that they are between 500-600gms. We ordered appetizers which were both delicious. At the table next to us the scallops appetizer was delivered without key ingredients (shrimp).

For the main course my wife ordered the steak and I ordered the duo of lamb. Both arrived Luke warm on cold plates as though they had been sitting for a while so we sent them back. The second time they were hot but now medium was well done. Potatoes which were served as accompaniments were late too. The same was true for the couple next to us who go ordered the Lamb and settled for cool food.

Desserts were good.

In fairness to the waitstaff, a complementary glass of wine and aperitif were offered (had the wine, skipped the aperitif).

I would not return based on my experience alone but based on the reviews before me, might give them a second chance.

Robdewitte, Manager at Van Speyk, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review. We have contacted your hotel about your reservation, and explained that if they don't call, we will never know you're coming, regardless how many pieces of paper they'll give you. I hope they have apologized to you about not handling the reservation correctly. We also apologize, not for the reservation, but for your experience. Your waiter has been informed to contact the manager (me) next time and not the chefs, since they are busy and indeed may slow down the answer to your questions. I am proud of him handling your complaints correctly, and also about his knowledge of the menu considering he is a student like almost all of our waitstaff, not a professional waiter (a rare breed in Amsterdam unfortunately). However, this doesn't solve the problem regarding your dishes. You have the chef's sincere apologies about what went wrong, regardless how it happened (he was working that day), with a promise it won't happen again. Let us know next time you're coming, so we can compensate you. We hope to welcome you again!

Best regards,
the Van Speyk team

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

After being in Amsterdam for a week and hitting the most highly reviewed places I could find, only to be disappointed by... Let's say "overly creative" chefs, I was delighted to find a place that served a great meal at a great price and with great service. I would come back here many times again. My wife and I enjoyed and appreciated it very much.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

After a bad experience in another restaurant near the Dam Square we went to this lovely restaurant from on the moment we entered the restaurant it was clear we would have a nice meal.
The food was perfect and the staff was of great help. With a variety of choices but not to much there was something for everybody.
Although we were with a group of seven the managed to serve everything nicely in time.

Thank Martijn en Jess... S
Reviewed May 19, 2014

It was highly recommended by the concierge and it was definitely true to its name. I really enjoyed the steak and the red wine and service was definitely good.