“Amazing!”
Review of Van Speyk

Van Speyk
Reserve with
Van Speyk is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 4,046 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The service was impeccable and the food was amazing. It was the last night of our honeymoon and they did a wonderful job of making us feel special. The food was truly unique and was an experience I'll never forget!

1  Thank eraugirl

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Went here because my daughter used to know one of the chefs when she lived in the Netherlands. We got lucky because this was an excellent choice. The greeting was friendly and professional, the service professional but convivial with out lovely Waitress finding time to talk with us. The Merlot we had was very good and well priced too. The food was excellent. I had the beef, which was melt in the mouth and my wife did even better with the sea bream. Al lovely meal, great service in a nice atmosphere. I will definitely return when I go back to Amsterdam.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

The food, service and atmosphere was superb. Wandered in because it was close to our hotel, then later spoke with our concierge who recommended it. Very fair price for the quality.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wonderful small meal at the end of a big day touring Amsterdam. I had a salad and my wife had a great soup. We shared a nice little bottle of wine and then split a fabulous plate of local cheeses. We were able to see several dishes we wish we were hungry for.

Like everywhere we went in Amsterdam, the staff spoke wonderful English and were very attentive!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have to say that I don't recognise this restaurant from some of the recent poor reviews. We booked a table for dinner on the basis of the good reviews on this site and were glad that we did so. The food was very good without being totally top notch and the service was excellent. If anything spoilt the experience, it was that, with the location being fairly close to the centre of town (near the station), the restaurant attracted a fair number of tourists - and, unfortunately, a tourist group en masse can be rather boorish.

A first course of scallops with a salad mixed with tiny shrimps was thoughtfully created and utterly delicious; mains of halibut and sea bream were perfectly cooked, with the sea bream being particularly wonderful; the only criticism would be that the halibut was perhaps a little overpowered by its bed of potato. A superb cheese platter (largely French cheeses, however) rounded off an excellent meal.

Altogether, this was a memorable, if slightly expensive, meal.