“Really beautiful food”

Neighborhood: Centrum
Los Angeles, California
“Really beautiful food”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Found this place randomly as it was near the Renaissance. So glad we tried it. Really nice food with interesting and balanced flavors and a lovely decor. Great for couples, friend or business and you can book online which is nice. Not the best service I have had but the food more than makes up for this.

Had the caesar salad to start and the fish special - poached halibut that was so delicate and accented by rosti potatoe cakes. They also have one of the best olive oils I have tasted in a small can on the table - try it!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Emily V

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
“I just wish I could become a regular!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The unremarkable frontage of this building opens up to a beautiful little restaurant with high ceilings, gorgeous chandeliers and lovely brickwork.

I had reserved our table online and said it was for my husband's 40th birthday. When we arrived, much to his embarassment, he was immediately wished a 'Happy Birthday' and we were each handed a glass of champagne. His dessert was also presented on a plate with 'Happy 40th!' on it.

I was overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of the staff who all, without exception, could not have been more welcoming and friendly.

Our meals more than lived up to our expectations. My husband had the 'dutch beef stew' - a description that completely under-sells the dish. It was a sort of 'deconstructed' stew with each component separated and served with a sauce that, according to my husband, was one of the tastiest he had ever had. I had the venison which was one of the most succulent I have ever tasted and, again, served with an exceptional sauce. Our desserts of cheesecake and creme brulee completed a fabulous meal.

If this restaurant was in our home town we would be much poorer and fatter! Having said that, this exceptional meal came at a very average price.

Thank you Van Speyk for a wonderful night!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank LesleyEM22
“Van Speyk business Trip”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food and service. Wide selection of wines with correct decanting apparatus to ensure he very best flavours were attained.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Fantastic restaurant”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Went to this restaurant Friday 31 January 2014, and Saturday 1 Feb 2014, Me and my wife went here and just could not find any problems with this restaurant, service was excellent, food was wonderful, Fantastic restaurant, recommend this restaurant if you love good food and good service. We will be going back when we return to Amsterdam again in the near future..

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Bobby369
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful Restaurant”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We found Van Speyk by the reviews on Trip Advisor, and were happy to find on the rainy night that it was directly across the street from our hotel. Interior is beautiful, service was excellent. Menu is small-I would much prefer this than a giant menu where nothing is done well. We started with martinis (Crantini and Sidecar-very very good), the scallops (yes they are small but worth it!) and croquettes, had the venison and rib-eye for dinner, and finished with the cheesecake (enjoyable-different, not super sweet and we liked that). I don't understand the negative reviews trying to compare this to other places-food was very very good and presented very well. I also like the honest responses from the owners here-they are correct. If you are looking for a quick, cheap meal, Febo is a block down.
We would definitely come back!! This was a great experience.

• Visited January 2014
Robdewitte, Manager at Van Speyk, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear reviewer from Calgary,

Thank you very much for posting this review. We're happy to hear you've enjoyed your meal with us, and we especially wish to thank you for taking notice of some of the other reviews here on Tripadvisor. It's good to get positive confirmation of our ideas regarding what we aim to do and the standards we have at Van Speyk. We hope wholeheartedly to be able to welcome you back when you visit Amsterdam again!

Best regards,