“Slow slow slow service”
Review of Van Speyk

Van Speyk
Reserve with
Van Speyk is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Dutch
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centrum
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Came for dinner. Met well and good seating. Very slow service. Ran out of drinks, had to remind staff several times. Long gaps between average courses. All in all disappointed. After 3 hours stone cold sober as the wine had had sufficient time to be assimilated before we managed to obtain another glass. Will try elsewhere in future

Robdewitte, Manager at Van Speyk, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Evie,

We are sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed your meal at Van Speyk as much as others have before you. I assume you had dinner on the 11th, I was off work that day, and I have called my colleague for an explanation. Apparently it was busy that day, and that the food may take a while is by now a well known issue (fresh products), but the fact that you did not get good service by your waiter is something I find unforgivable and apologize deeply for. I would like to invite you to send us an email to info@vanspeyk.com, to elaborate who waited your table (or if you don't remember, to tell me where you sat), so I can do something about this problem. Again, my apologies, and we hope to see you back someday in the future to prove that we are worth our ranking here on Tripadvisor.

Best regards,

the Van Speyk team

There are newer reviews for Van Speyk

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel concierge recommended Van Speyk when we asked about Dutch fare. We had the Dutch beef stew, which is served over mashed potatoes mixed with greens. We weren't disappointed. Given it's location I was surprised to find it standing room only inside, so we ate outside. I think it's very popular with the locals, so we were happy to find it.

1  Thank Charles R
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The beef stew was amazing! Our waiter told us this was a typical meal for Dutch people at home. It was almost a little like Shepard's Pie with the potatoes underneath. Very filling. We had some of the raw oysters for dessert. These Swedish oysters were slightly sweet and not overly briny. I felt the service was excellent as we were frequently checked on. Also, I left my umbrella there and they kept it for me in the back until I came back. It was conveniently located across from my hotel, Crowne Plaza.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel and some folks we met on our cruise. The location is quite convenient. Although the food was good, it wasn't anything great. Our service was good, but again, nothing exceptional. If you're looking for some good food (albeit a somewhat limited menu), good service and a nice atmosphere, then you will enjoy Brasserie Van Speyk.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had dinner here with my colleagues recently and enjoyed it very much. I had an appetizer of Dutch shrimps and a main course called sudderlapjes that I really liked. We got a prime table at the front window looking out on Katengat. Nice location and an attentive service. It is somewhere between an eetcafe and a gourmet restaurant. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the meal very much, but I can't quite reconcile it's very high ranking. i think it is definitely a place to enjoy a nice Dutch meal in a great location, but it is not a life changing experience. That said, I will be back.

Dear George,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you've enjoyed your meal with us. Dining at Van Speyk is indeed not a lifechanging experience, and to be honest I don't think any restaurant in which you can have two three course menus and a bottle of wine for under 80 euros will offer you a once in a lifetime experience. The top 20 of Tripadvisor restaurants in our experience is a list of restaurants who are good at what they do, in all sorts of categories. Van Speyk is a good brasserie (I dare say), whereas some of the michelin restaurants in the list are good at offering lifechanging experiences such as eating gold leafs or 5 different types of caviar (for which you pay a once in a lifetime amount of money). A fish stall was number one a while ago, I don't think they offer once in a lifetime experiences either, just good fish. Point is that we don't want to change your life, we want to offer you a good meal in a nice building with good service for a reasonable price. I hope we can agree that in this sense we are successful. We hope to see you back someday!

Best regards,