“Excellent Experience”
Review of Skotel Amsterdam

and 1 more site!
Skotel Amsterdam
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Was recommended this accommodation by a friend and former student of the den Haag school. The rooms were new, clean, spacious, comfortable and well appointed; luxurious even by my standards, yet affordable. I stayed for 3 nights. The students were friendly and attentive, and eager to please. The food from the student run kitchen was fresh and delicious. Breakfast, included with the price of the room, served their sourdough bread "Herman" and the homemade jams pastries were all divine. Their fine dining restaurant Le debut was a lovely experience, and excellent value.

The main difference between this and a commercial hotel is the amenities available outside of the room are minimal, and formal. The bar closes at 7pm, and the restaurant is a limited seating, prix fix affair (though a lovely dining experience) My only want was some sort of vending machines for after hours snacks and cold beverages as there is little available in the immediate vicinity.I was able to arrange to have my breakfast as take away for my very early morning departure.

Conveniently located if you are travelling by bike or transit, though it is a bit far from the action by foot, but that is good if you want to avoid the mayhem of the Centrum. The tram, bus and night bus all have stops outside the door - Admiraal Helfrichstraat. #13 will take you the centre, as well, the hotel is within easy access to Lelylaan station where you can catch the sprinter to Schiphol, and is far simpler to navigate than Centraal.

Will definitely stay again, and recommend to others.

Room Tip: There are only a limited number of rooms available. Each is furnished by a different hotel, so if yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tinfishy

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We found this hotel on trip advisor. We enjoyed our two night stay at the hotel. The room and bathroom was good and the students/staff couldn't do enough for you. It was a great location for going into the centre of Amsterdam, with the tram being right out the front of the hotel and taking you right into the middle of the city.
The only negative, is that the Hotel offered to do our washing, as the laundry down the road was closed for the weekend, we sent off a load of washing and when it was returned some of it was still quite damp. We called reception and they offered to run it though the dryer again. Also, I noticed some underwear missing and a sock. I had also received another sock which wasn't mine. I called reception and they found the missing sock, but are unable to find the missing underwear.
In the weeks since we left, I have now discovered that a t-shirt was also misplaced. I believe it may be possible that other washing was done at the same time and someone else has walked away with my clothes. Would pay to be sure about what you hand in to be washed, if you choose to do this. Otherwise, would recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The service was excellent, the room was immaculate, clean and very modern. Slept well and lovely breakfast, again service wonderful. Its a short 10/15m ride on the tram to the City Centre which is very easy. Great value for money and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were blown away by the excellent service offered by Skotel. Although the setup of the hotel (in the middle of the school--you are eating breakfast with students, etc.) seemed a little weird at first, by the end of our stay we were totally sold on it. It's a fantastic way to experience Amsterdam on a budget, and although slightly out of the central city, is very easily accessible by tram. Special shout-out to the amazing hotel student Anna from Hungary, who helped us with all of our requests, no matter how complicated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights during our trip to Amsterdam for Europa League Final.
Chose this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed!
The rooms were brand new, perfectly clean with very comfy beds and nice powerful shower! It's very quiet and we didn't see any other guests at all. We found it a very convenient location,away from all the noise and only a short tram ride to the centre. Perfect place to get a good nights sleep after a night out.
But most of all, what makes it a great place to stay is superb customer service from the students that work there. They couldn't be more helpful and nice! 5 stars!
Highly recommend to everyone and would definitely stay on the next trip to Amsterdam!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nika N
Reviewed June 6, 2013

In May a group of us went on a bike barge trip that started in Amsterdam and we decided to take a couple of days ahead of our departure to explore Amsterdam. I found Skotel Amsterdam on Tripadvisor and booked for four couples. I wasn't quite sure what it would be like as I hadn't heard of "school hotels" before.
It was incredible! The rooms are very large and bright and new! Furnishings are contemporary and the beds were very comfortable. The best part, however, was the staff of students who catered to our every need. Each one we came into contact with was polite and professional and eager to help us.
Breakfast was included - which makes this an even better deal - and they were delicious and substantial. (Lattes were especially good - and pretty too!) The lovely dining room looked wonderful too - but it was fully booked both nights we stayed there. We found a local restaurant that was very good.
Skotel is not in the centre of Amsterdam but a very short ride on Tram 13 gets you there quickly.
An incredibly positive experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sporter_12
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed a few days before the Europa Cup Final. Across the street from the Tram (15-20 minutes to Centraal). I really liked the fact that everyone was "learning" how to work in this demanding environment. Everything was clean, brand new, and functional. I only stayed there one night. Breakfast was good and I would assume was made by students in the kitchen facilities in the hotel. A 3 or 4 course dinner was available in the evening but unfortunately I arrived too late. I would definitely stay there again.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned but the "new" location is NOT the De Klencke address in Trip Advisor. I went there and found a closed down building.

The new location is: