“Cruel living conditions”

Levend Paardenmuseum De Hollandsche Manege
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The building is beautiful but to keep 55 horses in such a small area, with no turn out is cruel. Their stables are like cages and too small for such big animals, they looked very subdued and did not have hay or anyway of interacting with each other, nothing to keep them occupied. I understand that this building is an important part of the working horse history in Amsterdam but it is in need of an update to benefit the horses living condition. Maybe to keep the horses at another location but still use the building as a arena? I mentioned my thoughts about lack of turn out to the reception girl and she did say that they were working on a small paddock out the back, this is too long over due and i can guarantee will not be adequate for the amount of horses kept there. Horses need time and space to just be horses.

I am not an animal rights obsessed person merely someone with horses of my own and an understanding of what basic care they need. This is a publicly owned riding school.
I have nothing to say about the cafe, it is not relevant.

5  Thank Mulberry1991

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We saw this in the guidebook and wanted to get away from the centre (and canals) so trammed and strolled to the stable. The lonely planet guidebook had said it was free but on arrival they have obviously got wise so charged us €6 each. The welcome was friendly and we made our way to the cafe overlooking the riding arena. The cafe is, as others have said, really lovely to look at, the decor is fab and the arena is also pretty amazing bearing in mind it was built for riding. The service is poor - young girls presumably on minimum wage who aren't really interested in customer service, but we had a cup of tea and sat in pleasant quiet whilst two people had riding lessons below us. We read papers, and just relaxed for an hour or so with no bother. We visited the stables afterwards and it was lovely to say hello to the horses - but when they are busy I think that might be more difficult. I don't think I would consider eating here - certainly not pay for high tea - on the basis of the service and the way (as is often the case in foreign countries) the tea is made by giving you hot water in a cup and a tea bag at the side. But if you want to step out of the melee of tourists in Amsterdam it is a good place to go.

1  Thank RevelsMaster
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The first timme mmy husband brought mme to the Hollandsche Manege I was really immpressed that such a large horse stable was nestled smmack dab in the mmiddle in the city setting of Amsterdam. It really is a mmagnificant old fashioned stable. The general public are permmitted to visit during opening hours. Mmy first visit an young lady was doing her gallop practices on a white horse.
As I haven't eaten there yet, I can only comment that there is a cute restaurant area overlooking the arena for refreshmments, snacks, lunch, stronger beverages.
Last week I happened to be wandering by, but had a little dog with mme so I didn't enter the stables. I was able to peek in fromm the stable doorways. A white horse poked its head over the edge of his stall a few timmes to peek our way! Where I grew up, we didn't have horses. I love being able to go and freely be able to check out all the horses and if you're lucky you can see drammatic practices in progress!
The video link (Dutch spoken) will give you a superb idea of how charmming the manege actually is.
isabelydancer00

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went for high tea using what we thought seemed like a great deal on groupon. We invited a couple of friends and hoped it would be a great experience after all we had read on tripadvisor. I have to say that our experience was not good. I would not recommend going here unless it's for a simple cup of coffee. High tea is not worth it if you pay full price. The service was bad, the food was below average.

On the plus side, the atmosphere was quite beautiful. The cafe overlooks the horse-riding area. The Hollands Manege is a building with nice architecture and quite a classic feeling to it. It's a cool place to walk around if you're looking to explore something different in the Amsterdam area.

The small little cafe apparently books up quickly, so you need to reserve your "high tea" far in advance.

When we arrived for high tea, the table was prepared, but the service was awful. The 1 person working in the restaurant was young and not really interested in serving anyone. We had to go up to get her attention about 5 times before we were served. Additionally, getting extra hot water for tea was a challenge. Sandwiches were small and dry, the scones were not fresh, and the little candies were OK but way too sweet.

The only service oriented person was the person who handled our booking, who was easy to work with and quite helpful. All in all, I can't recommend this place and we likely will not go back.

1  Thank Wanderfool44
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Ok I have to say that I am not really interested in horses but they were selling high tea via a Groupon voucher so as a DE for Amsterdam I am always interested in visiting new places and if they are good then I can recommend them to others.
Unfortunately I can’t recommend this establishment. In fact I rarely say this but if I were you I would avoid it.

Plus points. The building is very nice both inside and out and in a very nice part of Amsterdam. Apparently built by the same person who built the Concert Gebouw.

I am not reviewing anything other than the café here.

So high tea. Cost normally €24. I got it half price, which is about what it was worth. Three of the smallest sandwiches ever. Some nice petit four and some cake. Strangely they had a nice large teapot with hot water but only one teabag of each type so I had to ask for more (and milk but then that’s not a Dutch thing). Service was a bit slow.
My main gripe is that a friend of mine wanted to join us so called up at 1100 (we had made a reservation for 1230) then decided he didn’t want to come. They made us pay €24 for his place as even though he wasn’t there. Protested but no way were they gonna give in so we made them pack up the stuff (it didn’t take much packing) to go. Asked for a discount for not having the tea but no. So we had to pay for all the “effort” they went to which seemed to me to me that they had put another teacup on the table.
Oh and it does smell of horse cr4p and I found out I am allergic to the four legged beggers. Still sneezing now after an hour away.
Really not very happy and will NEVER be back there.