“A little gem!”
Review of Camping Zeeburg

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Camping Zeeburg
Ranked #18 of 237 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I am not sure what all this talk about dirty toilets and unfriendly staff who don't speak english is - but it's absolute nonsense.
There staff there are fleuent in english and dutch, very friendly, full of top tips of where to go or help with direction and every morning i was almost held up by the staff who without fail cleaned the facilities, regularly throughout the day.
The pitches are nice by the lake, lots of ducks about being cheeky n stealing your crisps, although when extremely busy, i.e queens day the pitches can get a little boggy if its been raining, but nothing a good scrub wont sort out.
There is a bar and small shop for you early morning needs, sometimes a little over-priced but nice for the conveniance factor, especially when your forgot to go shopping before closing on a sunday (4pm).
The bar has live music in the summer and projected films which sets a nice atmosphere.
There is also a bike rental facility which is averaged price, ideal tho for popping into the centre.
All in all i would say zeeburg is a very nice campsite, close to the centre and not bad value for money. Same time next year!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dinojr

Reviewed January 13, 2010

Quite simply a campsite, with a bar, shop, bakery, restaurant and a 24 reception point.
The staff are really friendly and would definately recommend it to a friend, as i am doing at the moment for when we re-book this summer

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MattSettle
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Fantastic campsite, very easy to get into the city center. Very nice pitches by the water and the bar and shop on site were very cool.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Nice Camping atmosphere in Winter as well as Summer - good hygiene, not too pricey, only 10 minutes from the city - very cool people

Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank ManfredErnst
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I have just returned from a 4 night break and decide to stop in camping zeeburg due to the reasonably cost of their accommodation and location to Amsterdam centre. We arrived in the evening and had to find the camp site in the dark not to much of a problem but did get a little lost and had to walk further then required but did not make the same mistake again. Amsterdam, excellent tram service that runs until midnight then nightbuses take over, so getting around is really easy.
The camp site I found friendly, clean with good services. Toilets and showers clean and I didn't have to que, I only needed 1 shower token per shower even when I washed my long hair. There are electric sockets in shower block if you want to dry/straighten your hair. I didnt eat in the restaurant or drink in the bar so cant comment but I bought breakfast from the shop, lovely warm croissants.
I decide to stop in a wagonette because it was the most expensive option so thought it would be superior, this was not the case. The duvets and pillows were damp due to the condensation so not as comfortable as we could be, so we slept with the window and vents open to try to rectify this problem but still water dripped from the ceiling. Also when I tried to use the fire it cut out even 50 seconds and I had to unplug then plug back in even 50 seconds so was useless. Whats in a wagonette: 2 single beds (bunkbeds) each with its own lamp, shelves, table and 2 folding chairs so basic but what else do you need to sleep.
I would stop in camp zeeburg again but not in a wagonette I would choose the cabins.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank oka-willow
Camping_Zeeburg, Manager at Camping Zeeburg, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2010

Thank you for your feedback , we always strive to a better campsite so your opinion really matters !

Our Wagonette is a new concept. It is a custom made room on wheels, based on experiences and ideas of our guests.

Because the Wagonette is specially made and unique, we have to use it to experience how it behaves in different seasons. Unfortunately we had problems with the condensation. As soon as we’ve heard about this, we adjusted the heating and the ventilation system. With the adjustment we expect the problem will be definitely solved.

We are really sorry for your inconvenience but we hope to welcome you again and can convince you that our Wagonette is really superb.

Regards

Staff of Camping Zeeburg

Reviewed October 16, 2009

Hi,

I have been to camping Zeeberg twice now, and we love it there. The camp site is right on a river, which is lovely, the walk to the tram stop is not that far, but it does feels like you’re in Iraq or something, very shady… although we didn’t feel unsafe.

The shop has loads of stuff init and they even sell hot fresh bread all day long plus all the beer you can drink, also when the shop is closed at night they have loads of vending machines which is very handy, but NO Cash machine, there is also a bar which has very reasonable prices.

The one and only thing I can complain about is the hygiene facilities, the 1st time we went was in March and there was not many people there and we found at all time’s no matter how early or late the toilets were always in a horrible dirty state, you can tell that they don’t get cleaned very often at all during the day or night.

The next time we stayed was in august, this time there were loads of people there, it was packed, so assumed that they would have a full time cleaner for the toilets, you have to remember hundreds of people were there, so the toilets should be cleaned every half and hour to an hour at the very most, well I can tell you, I had to hold my toilet until I got to the centre of Amsterdam, they were so bad even when we got back at night they were just as bad. Im assuming that the toilets are cleaned literally once or twice a day, now consider that there were at least 600 people there if not more crammed into 2 toilet blocks….. not good.

Employ a full time toilet attendant – you earn enough.

Other then that I will go back, but am looking into buying a portable loo – that’s how bad they are!!!! Showers were ok though.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I'll admit before I start that I'm not really a camping kind of person. Bear that in mind as you read my review of Camping Zeeburg.

We booked into the site over the net and were horrified when we had struggled with all our camping stuff on the packed 20 mins tram journey to the end of the line, and then had to walk through a flooded carpark and past a hippy commune with terrifying iron scultures down what is basically an alley - we honestly thought we were going to be murdered, my boyfriend kept talking about the film 'Hostel'.

We checked in - but please remember that this isn't Calais, this guy has NO english whatsoever, although signs and leaflets are in Dutch and English. I bought what was described as a Nice Warm Hat for 3.50E and it was the best thing I ever bought.

You might think we were delusional in the first place to go camping without a groundsheet or a waterproof tent cover in March in the Netherlands, but it was startlingly cheap and we though we could huddle together. The first night we got no sleep because our bodies began to ffreeze from the inside - this was entirely our own stupid faults and there was nothing the camp site could do about its rather exposed location right on a peninsula sticking out into the water.

When we finally got of to sleep we were awoken at 6am by water lapping at the base of our tent - frozen, icy water. Again, the camp site can't be blamed for this but when we asked for an emergancy tent which I knew they had because I overheard someone saying they were returning the emergancy tent, I was told that it would only sleep two people and we would have to sleep in the toilets.

So we did. We sleep in the very clean toilets which had a heated floor, and although epople looked at us strangely we were the only English speaking there so we couldn't work out what the hell anyone was saying. When we went out to the remnents of our poor tent the next morning we say that sheet ice had caked the whole peninsula and I was convinced we would have died if we had stayed outside.

We spent the next night in the bar - cheap and the usual random European range of odd crisps and variations on our chocolate bars but they did a very nice cheesy toastie on the smallest slice of bread I've ever seen. Cheap pool table and internet access but again no one understands what the hell you are talking about and there isn't a very nice atmosphere. I was in tears by this point wanting to go home - the entire floor was soaked and people were attempting to sleep in the corners. Eventually my boyfriends Dad bailed us out into the Holiday Inn by the Schilpol where we were upgraded free of charge to an executive suite and I have never been so glad to see a duvet in my life.

Camping Zeeburg is probably lovely in the summer with a large group of friends but noone wanted to talk to us and since we didn't have the right kit we felt pretty idiotic. My boyfriend probably would have stuck it out but I was convinced we were going to perish from pneumonia and I wanted to get away from the glaring eyes of people who knew we couldn't hack the hardcore conditions!! The campsite staff were unhelpful and even though there were cabins available since we didn't have the Euros in cash right then and there (there is no cash point) they wouldn't let us use one even though our tent became unusuable - and it wasn't just us, we saw two or three tents washed into the lake.

Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple