“Great Campsite”
Review of Camping Zeeburg

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Camping Zeeburg
Ranked #22 of 249 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This campsite was a little out of the way (around 15 minute bike ride from central Amsterdam, But trams and busses run late into the night to and from) but was very well equipped. Security at the front gate at night, Free hot showers and toilets, Supermarket, Bar, Restaurant, Washing Facilities, Wifi, Internet Terminal, Friendly Staff. Would Definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The campsite was great but if you're after something a little more comfortable they also offer b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewThompson1986

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife,daughter and her boyfriend visited Camping Zeeberg in August 2012 in our motorhome. We were allocated pitch C12 which on the map looks like it is on a plot of grass near the water but common sense prevailed and it is next to C11 on some hard standing under the trees. Some chap told me he had refused the pitch bcause of no hard standing and too close to the water. What he should have said is I have no cmmon sence. The site mostly caters for young people in tents so expect a bit of noise and of course they are not the tidiest of age groups and tend to leave things where they fall and the same can be said about leaving the toilet facilities clean. If you follow the right person things will be fine, if you don't beware. The staff clean the facilities once a day and do a good job this is similar to all other camp sites I have been to. Reception staff were friendly but are sometimes very busy. I have developed a knack over the yeas of being able to wait. The food we bought in the shop and resteraunt was good quality, especially the fresh baked bread. Transport into Amsterdam is very good with a choice of trams depending on which side of the bridge you walk, they run till after midnight when a nightbus service takes over. The walk can be a bit daunting at first with all the graffiti under the bridge and teenagers hanging around spraying the graffiti but it's all part of the Dutch tolerate society and poses no problems, some of it is very good. Give the site a go, don't expect too much, hope you follow the right person into the facilities and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank MalcolmDDM
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Really annoys me reading some of the negative comments on here. I have stayed in a wagonette with my girlfriend, and a cabin with my friends, both fantastic value for money. No doubt the weather made the expierence all the better, wouldnt be the best in the winter i can imagine (my girlfriend visited in the winter and recommended a hotel as traveling in cold wasnt the best). From central amsterdam it is a 10 minute tram and a 10 minute walk, if your complaining about the walk you are simply a lazy person because it is not as bad as many of you are saying. The campsite itself is safe, with a great atmosphere. Showers are fantastic, you get more than enough time for the 60 cent it costs. The wagon and cabins have electricity and chairs wich is fantastic, nothing better than getting in from amsterdam with left over weed and being able to smoke it in a cosy location. You can stay in, get food from the shop, go to the bar and have a lovely evening. Do not listen to many of the negative reviews on here, and what if you need to walk over a bridge ?? you are paying £15 a night.

Amazing place for a Summer stay, winter maybe look somewhere more central. CLASS.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in a wagonette for 3 nights and had a great time at Camping Zeeburg. The facilities are more than adequate, though the showers do get colder by the end of the day so get up early if you want a hot one!!
On arival, the staff were friendly and helpful. They will ask you to leave some form of ID at the desk but having read this before going I took my driving licence with me so that I didn't have to leave my passport. The staff will issue you with a ticket that you need to keep safe so that you can access the campsite after 11pm as the main gate is closed.
Directions on the website are sufficient to get to the site, from the airport simply take the train to Centraal station (approx 5 euros) and from there take Tram 26 to Zuiderzeeburg (about 4 stops). We also bought the 3 day travel card for 16 euros each which gets you onto all trams, metro and even the nightbuses so def good value for money! The walk is about 15mins from campsite to tram stop and can be a bit daunting in the dark so take a torch or make sure you walk back with friends.
The wagonette itself was small but clean and definately sufficient as a base for exploring Amsterdam. It contained 2 bunk beds, shelves for cloting etc a corner table and 2 folding chairs (perfect for sitting on the small veranda out front!). CAUTION!! The only problem for us was the length of the bed as my partner is 6'6" and could not fit into the bottom bunk bed - we solved the problem by putting one of the matresses on the floor which was still really comfortable!! Duvet, pillow and bedding is provided and was very comfortable - I had 3 really good nights sleep!
The campsite is surprisingly quiet in the evenings in terms of noise levels but has a friendly buzz around the reception and bar areas until midnight. We ordered food from the bar on one night and the portions sizes were good. We did not have the 10 euro breakfast as felt this was a bit steep for what you got - a much better alternative was to grab freshly baked croissants and bread rolls (prices between 0.60 cents and 1 euro each) from the shop each morning as well as jam and butter portions and cartons of juice, then sit on your veranda and enjoy!!
If you are staying for a few days or more, there is also a Lidl supermarket apporximately 20 minute walk away - ask at reception for directions - where you can get supplies.
The only thing I would say the wagonette was lacking was a couple of glass/cups for drinks.
Bathroom facilites were always clean whatever time fo day we visited and although my evening shower was cold :( other friends who were staying in wagonettes next door didn't find this at all!
6 of us hired bikes on our last day and I would definately recommend this (though take a good city map with you as the campsite one wasn't detailed enough!!). The price was 11.50 euros for 24 hour hire but because we were only out from 10 - 6 the man charged us a half day for 6 euros!!
Having read mixed reviews about Camping Zeeburg I was unsure what to expect when we arrived - we were very pleasantly surprised and I would recommend this site as a good (and much cheaper) alternative to staying in the centre of Amsterdam - thank you for a lovely time Camping Zeeburg!!! :)

Room Tip: Wagonettes offer great value for money for only a few euros more than the cabins. Cabins might be be...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mi S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in one of the campsites permanent wagonettes. Fairly basic but comfortable enough. Campsite had shop selling food, fresh bread and other camping equipment as well as shower blocks and bar restaurant. Located across a river, we had to walk around 10 minutes to tram stop then about 10 minutes into the city centre. We didn't find this too time consuming and there were tram cards available to buy at reception along with a leaflet on which trams to catch which we found very helpful. The showers required coins to slot into the wall in order to turn them on and cost around 1 euro from reception. Probably best to buy a few at once for the duration of your stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Camped here after a festival in Belgium, and in comparison, it was luxury camping! We were offered to camp in Zeeburg Too (2) just ten minutes from the original one which is for tents only. Extremely clean grounds, toilets, and cooking areas which were maintained very well. Showers were a bit annoying as you had to push them on every ten seconds.

Staff were all lovely. The shop was well stocked. The location is good with tram stops right outside, and the area is beautiful beside the waterside and parklands.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Camp Zeeburg is a good campsite for young people and families alike. It was recommended to me by a friend and I'm very glad she did. Finding decent hostels in Amsterdam isn't too difficult but be prepared to disappointed as many of the cheapest places are booked up long in advance and the ones that are not tend to be absolute dumps! We booked the Wagonette because lets face it they are adorable. I'm sure if its because they are colourful or they remind me of traditional gypsy caravans but I really wanted to stay in one and I wasn't disappointed.
The wagonette for 2 people is small so if you hire one don't expect a lot of space. It is a caravan after all. However it does provide you with some storage space to put your clothes and things on and a table and 2 chairs. The beds are big enough to be comfortable but I must warn people with children that the top bunks do not have railings so any restless sleepers should stick to the bottom bunk. I slept on the top bunk however and I didn't fall out so it shouldn't be a problem for most. The beds have good bedding and I slept very well. There are also lamps for both bunks so you can read if you want. They are not overly bright too so others in the wagonette can sleep in peace. There is a little peace of decking outside which It is sheltered as well so you can sit out rain or shine. This is very handy if you are a smoker as smoking is not allowed in the wagonettes.
Toilets and showers are located in a few areas around the site and they are not more than a couple minutes away. They get cleaned in the morning so at night the bathrooms can be a bit grimy. They aren't too bad but after a whole day of use the bins are full and sinks have a large amount of midges in them because people have left the bathroom doors open. Personally I found the toilets near the bar a lot more cleaner than the ones beside the lake but that is because there are less midges in that area. The showers are fine. Bring flip flops though because I found that from my experience there may be sand in the shower units from other people using them. Its around 80cents for a token for the shower which is fine considering you get around 10 minutes of water which is more than enough. Many people seem to be complaining about the water temperature which I didn't have a problem with. There are a lot of people who use the showers in the camp site so it is only natural that the water becomes lukewarm later in the day. If you are a big moaner then get your whiny butt out of bed early in the morning like everyone else. The water pressure is good too by the way in both sets of showers.
The staff in the campsite were lovely and helpful. We arrived late at night and we were immediately greeted by staff at the gates who provided us with our key and information letter. If you are going to be a late arrival make sure you contact the camp to tell them this. That way they will hold your key for you like they did for us. Upon check in the staff will ask for your passport with can be a nuisance since you need a passport to get into coffee shops and other places in Amsterdam. To sort this problem ask can the staff make a photocopy of the passport instead and they will then ask for a 20euro deposit which you will get again when you check out. We done this and I thought it was reasonable.
The campsite itself is clean and easy to get around. There is no way you can get lost. Its really nice to sit down by the riverside at night when its a good night. We done this on our first night and I really enjoyed it. It can be a little chilly because of the breeze coming of the river so bring a blanket. The campsite is also quiet at night so its good if you have a young family.
Getting to the campsite can be a little difficult at night if you are going on the instructions they provide on the website. Getting the tram is easy and as you just get number 26 from central station. However when you get off the instructions tell you to not cross the canal and look for stairs on the right hand side they mean that you cross the first bridge and then you will come across the stairs. This confused us a bit and the bridge is also very dark at night so be sharp or even bring a torch.Getting back into the city centre is also very easy as you can get tram 7 or 14 every 5 to 10 minutes. People should also buy the travel cards in the reception area of the campsite as its much cheaper to but a card that covers 3 or 4 days (depending on how long your staying) than buying a day pass every day.
I had a great time in Amsterdam and I thought Camp Zeeburg was more than adequate. I would happily use it again.

Room Tip: Its a little cheaper to rent a cabin than a Wagonette but not by much. We had friends renting a cabi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends