New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of King Hotel

King Hotel
Ranked #275 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mobile, Alabama, United States
“comfortable to sleep and decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was very basic accommodation. We stayed on the 30th May for 3nights. You get your double bed, shower and kettle. We had the room 21 on level 4. The bed was comfortable and the room was big enough. I can't say more - other than you get what you pay for tbh. Its close to a busy part of town so nice to go out at night. You can get the tram 2 and 5 to get to the centre (dam square) or train station. Its not bad accommodation. If you want somewhere to sleep (decent enough rest) and go about your business (near town/clubbing etc) this is the place to go. The cleaners were great defo 'clean freaks'.

Room Tip: Room 21 level four was decent but no view or any other perks.
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am sorry to write a bad review about this hotel but around 2 months ago I stayed there for 3 nights. After wanting to pay by card the staff recommended me to pay in cash as around 5% was charged when paying by card. My surprise was when I came back home that they actually charged my credit card too. They refund the money but because of the exchange rate the amount was less than what they charged. After 2 months and more than 10 e-mails they still didn´t pay me back.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a pleasant stay in Amsterdam

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Marc643

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for the first time between 8th May and 10th May 2013. When we arrived, there were builders outside and the hotel front was being refurbished, which we were not told about but to be honest it did not matter to us. We arrived at the hotel tired from our trip and were able to check in 2 hours early at no extra charge which was brilliant. The room was clean but quite small but fine for 2 people for a couple of days. Our view was awful and looked into other windows which was rubbish as we had to have the curtains closed most of the time. Make sure you get a canal view room if you stay here! We tried to have a nap as soon as we arrived but there were builders banging for hours and we could not rest. This only happened on the first day though so not too bad. We had no hot water when we tried to shower but the helpful receptionist came straight up to the room and sorted it for us. The hotel Wi-fi connection was very fast but each time I locked my Iphone I then had to re-connect which was a bit annoying but the connection was very quick. The hotel is in a great location. If you come out of the hotel, turn left and left again, you are on a main road which has lovely shops and restaurants and even a Bulldog coffee shop! You can get tram 1,2 or 5 from there which takes you to Centraal station and is only a 10/15 min journey. If you choose to walk all the way up, in 20 mins you will arrive at Dam Square. The walk is nothing if you are shopping at the same time! On our last day, we asked for a later check-out which was given to us free of charge. We were going to leave our luggage at the hotel to go sightseeing on our last day but the receptionist advised us that Centraal Station had lockers that fit our suitcases which was very helpful as we were getting the train to the airport. Overall, it was a nice stay at this hotel as it was clean and comfortable but next time I would definitely get a canal view room. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a canal view room!
2 Thank NCLondon25
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a good hotel with a perfect location for enjoying the downtown of Amsterdam. For me, the rooms are enough big. You can easily put 2 big luggages without being annoyed. BUT this hotel is not enough soundproof! You live with your noisy neighbours and the slamming doors! Early in the morning, you will be without doubt awoken. Bed are very bad, you can feel the springs.

Our room (7) overlooks on the garbages in the inner courtyard.

The breakfast is generoux but too much industrial for the price it costs.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We arrived to scaffolding and I was concerned.. (we had not been informed of work being done) I asked the lady on the reception will there be noise? She said no it's done now. Next morning at 7.30am all we can hear is drilling. My friend who was with me has a serious health condition and needs rest. I told them we needed to leave bon account of the noise. We were offered to stay miles away in an area not close to town. We said we'd like to stay somewhere else in this area and get our money back, they said they couldn't do that until tomorrow. We did finally get our money back after travelling back there the next day but received this email from the manager: "As a good will we did offer you a three star hotel which was refused by you and still you stayed in another hotel on your own free will. On this point I could have easily refused to give you the refund but still I did refund since you used the serious health condition of your friend to bring in the sympathy and an excuse which was in a very poor taste." I asked for an apology and got no reply. A real disgrace. This hotel might have had other nice qualities like location but to be honest all I remember is this incident.

Room Tip: Just make sure they don't have work going on outside.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends