“A good budget hotel”

and 1 more site!
King Hotel
Ranked #282 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The King Hotel is just what you'd expect for a cheapish hotel near the Leidseplein in Amsterdam. The single room was big enough, and the shower room large for the type of hotel. The stairs were as steep as they usually are in Amsterdam, but there is a small and very slow lift. The breakfast room is small but the breakfast was pretty good. The staff were all helpful and pleasant. The hotel was quiet. The wifi worked and was free. The location is great but still peaceful. The bed was a bit on the soft side for me, and the room safe was very hard to get at. The only niggles were the €3 fee to leave your bag (sic) after you checked out. The €20 returnable deposit for your keys and the pretty steep €5 per night tourist tax (but maybe that's Amsterdam Council who are ripping me off). I'd happily stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher the better since there is a lift.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 22, 2012

location is good. hotel provides clear direction from the airport to the hotel. remember that the tram ticket is one hour available. I didn't know that so I spend euro2.7 to buy one more ticket. This hotel is ok for budget traveler. room is clean. but the carpet in reception area is smelly and rugged. terrified when I got there, but luckily, the carpet in my room is ok. shower room is clean. single room is small, but I think this is the standard size for single room in Europe. got the same small room in Spain too.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Basic but clean and a good location, rooms are tiny and the stairs very steep but there is a lift, breakfast was as you would expect for a basic hotel.

You have to pay 20 Euro deposit for your room key but it is returned and we were able to check in early with no hassle.

You get what you pay for and its only a base for sleeping in, wouldnt like to stay more than 2 nights or it could become a bit cramped.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, extremely close to all of the shops and quite a few pubs, little bit away from the station but it's easy enough to walk if you know where you're going.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2012

good,clean very central hotel would certainly stay here again, the room had a canal view and very comfy beds, breakfast was a bit on the sparce side. For an eye popping experience head to the red light area, the Old Sailor' is a great bar with interesting views!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 16, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, it was really shabby looking! After paying 20E for our keys we were shown to our room. The room was clean and bright, we had our own bathroom and tea and coffee making facilities. I would advise you to pay a little bit extra for a canal view. We're not fussy travellers at all so its a cliche but its so true - "you get what you pay for". This was perfect for the price we paid!

Breakfast was very plain, the usual continental style but was ok. Most hotels we looked at didn't provide any breakfast at all. The stairs are lethal! My thighs and calves had an amazing workout everytime we went up and down the seriously narrow stairs, but there is a lift if you prefer. The hotel was fairly quiet, there was noise from traffic outside but that can't be helped and not enough to put you off your sleep.

When we looked at the map - it looked like there was very little around the Leidseplein area but this way off the mark. It's extremely busy, There are loads and loads of bars, restaurants, coffee shops, shopping etc. Its a fantastic location. I was glad we had booked there instead of right in the centre to be honest. In saying that, we ventured into the centre all the time. We're keen walkers and it was a good 20 minute walk to the red light and central area. However, trams 1,2 and 5 will take you there for about 2.50E if you don't have a card. Anne Frank house is about a mile walk.

At the square in Leidseplein was the Boom Chicago comedy store (we didnt' go) but it's apparently one of the top things to do in Amsterdam. Also the restaurant De Klos (also in the top restaurants) is 5 minutes away from the hotel jus off the main drag. The Bulldog coffee shop, McDonalds, BK, Starbucks etc are all within the vicinity as well as nice clothes and jewellery shops. Hard Rock Cafe is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Expensive but HUGE portions. If on a budget, share the nachos - the plate was huge:) Amsterdam is very very expensive. We found it difficult to find many cheap places, but street vendors etc sell pizza and the usual burgers etc. The supermarkets too are pretty reasonable so we ended up buying soft drinks etc from here for during the day:)

Accross the bridge from the hotel was the museum area. Again a 5 minute walk to the Reiksmuseum and the Van Gogh museums. The Heineken experience is a little further but a great day out. We spent a couple of hours in there and it was great fun. 16E each but we spent a good couple of hours in here and got a couple of drinks at the end. The house of Bols was accross from the Van Gogh was 12.50E each but was only ok! At the end however, you can have a free cocktail of your choice and 2 shorts of Bols......probably a bargain in terms of Amsterdam prices. This is a really nice area......one of the streets (don't know the name) is all designer shops. We ventured in (just for a look) and it wasn't the usual snootiness we have in Britain - the staff were very nice:) We couldn't go on a canal trip unfortunately as the canals were frozen over when we were there (freezing cold) but its about 10E for the hour. I'm gutted we couldn't do it!!

You must try the Asian food here though- it is absolutely amazing! We had a thai meal and it was superb, unfortunately I forgot to check out the name - but I would advise giving asian food a go.

Amsterdam was a great place at no time did I feel unsafe at all! To be honest, its not the easiest place to get around, we got lost all the time but eventually would find our way. If you're not terribly fussy give the King hotel a go, the extra star I awarded was for the location, I would definately come back to this area again.

Room Tip: Definately pay extra (I think it was about 5-10E) for a canal room. I think they're bigger and n...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple