“Charming with nice breakfast room”

Amsterdam Wiechmann Hotel
Ranked #89 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Netherlands
“Charming with nice breakfast room”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The merits:
~ Breakfast room with a charming view, one of the nicest I've ever seen in Amsterdam
~ Unlike most other Amsterdam hotels, breakfast was automatically offered as part of the booking
~ Charming, old Europe ambiance
~ At the heart of Amsterdam's charming part, right on the Negen Straatjes, only about 300 m from the Leidseplein and about 400 m from the Spui
~ Clean; fit for purpose
~ Nice big, comfortable bed
~ Hot, high pressure shower
~ Proper flat-screen TV with about 20 stations
~ Well managed; friendly staff

The demerits:
~ No lift
~ Two-star rooms (with a few idiosynracies)
~ Priced more like a three star than a four star
~ No kettle with coffee/tea in the room
~ Basic breakfast

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zwerf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was our first stay in Amsterdam. They made our stay easy and wonderful. Gave us suggestion of visits. Next time we will definitely stay there. It's an older building but with so much charm. I highly recommend hat hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Hotel Wiechmann was listed in Rick Steve's book, which I always rely on for hotel tips. Thier website has a good description and photos of rooms; location and prices. they ask for a credit card to reserve booking. I booked online and got a confirmation number. The dayof my travel, I sent an email to the hotel confirming my stay, but I was told that I did not have a booking. It was a good thing that I printed out the confirmation document containing date/time of confirmation, booking number. I gave these info, and got a prompt response that I indeed have a booked room.
Location of the hotel was great- along the canal: it is easily accessible to restaurants, shops, grocery store, and attractions. I was able to walk to the R. museum, van Gogh museum and Jordaan area following the self-guided tour in Rick Steve's book. There are diverse restaurants - Indonesian, Thai, Indian food.
My room is the smallest and cheapest. True that there is no elevator, so the receptionist suggested that I leave my luggage in the locked closet and just carry the items I need for one night. that's what I did and it worked out perfectly. He also offered to helo me carry the luggage but I just opted to get only the essential ones I needed. I was supposed to catch a bus at 7:30am to go to Brussels and the hotel staff made the taxi arrangement for me; even arranged to have breakfast ready earlier so that I can have breakfast. (regular breakfast time was 7AM; but breakfast was already readied by Denise at 6;45am. I really appreciated this since i have a 3 hour bus ride to Belgium. It was warm in the room (even though it was October)- but they provided a fan which cooled the room down and made it comfortable. No noise since my room was overlooking the small courtyard. I requested for a quiet room and I got it.

Room Tip: If climbing the stairs is a problem, ask for a room in the ground flooer or pack a smaller bag with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pumpsnow1523
Amsterdam
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Lovely view from our top floor window, walking distance to everywhere, Breakfast Room! what a way to start your day watching the world go by.

Location is fantastic and the whole place has real character - we've already said this is where we'd stay if we go back to Amsterdam.

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Canberra, AU
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We did enjoy staying at the Weichmann - great location on Prinsengracht and close to the Leidseplein. I'd echo what some of the other reviews have said, including SusanC on 13/10/12. Apart from the great location the breakfast was nice and the room was fairly spacious and had a great view over Prinsengracht looking north..

However, our room was up two very steep (and narrow) flights of stairs from the lobby. No elevator. Upon arrival we had to drag our suitcases up these stairs. We didn't have huge bags but were in Europe for 6 weeks so needed a decent size. The staff made no effort to offer us assistance with the bags. We're middle-age but reasonably fit, and could manage to get the bags up to the room, although it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience. Be very careful if you're coming to and from these rooms after a few drinks, seriously! I'd hate for someone like my mum to arrive there and be expected to drag her bags up those stairs. Quite a few elderly people were staying at the hotel during our stay. I've no idea whether they were staying in one of the rooms on a higher floor like ours or whether the hotel tends to put them on the ground/first floor.

We've stayed in quite a few places over the years that have had steep stairs and no elevator (or maybe only a freight elevator), including various hostels. However, most of these have had staff who would offer assistance with bags where required. Perhaps the Weichmann does generally provide assistance with bags and we just didn't see that happening. Anyway, the experience with the stairs and the bags caused us to rate the hotel lower than we would otherwise have done.

I'm not a tea drinker and therefore don't care whether there is a jug in the room so I can make a cup of tea first thing in the morning. However my wife loves her cup of tea first thing and was disappointed to find no jug in the room. Probably not a big deal for most Europeans or Nth Americans, but I'd imagine many Brits or Aussies would feel the same. Also, as a smoker, my wife had to navigate these stairs much more than I did to go down to the street and have a smoke,