“wonderful food in a beautiful place”
Review of l'Ozio - CLOSED

l'Ozio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: De Pijp
London, United Kingdom
“wonderful food in a beautiful place”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We walked in the district of the Pijp looking for a restaurant on a rainy Tuesday night: while the other restaurants were almost empty, this one was totally full. We decided to "follow the masses" and we couldn't be happier: we had to wait around 15 minutes for a table but in the meantime we could get a glas of Prosecco, gently offered by the owner. The menu is quite different from the normal italian menu: no lasagna, no pesto....mainly dishes from north Italy very well cooked and presented: we decided to follow the advice of the owner to try the tasting menu, a combination of different dishes from starter to dessert: everything was tasty and fresh. I loved the carpaccio of swordfish and the homemade ravioli stuffed with pumpkin but also the meat ( a beef stew in a red wine sauce) was tender and delicious. When the moment of desserts arrive, since we were the last guests before kitchen closed, we could get a selection of desserts instead of a choice: absolutely great and the chocolate cake was probably the best I have ever tried in my life.
Very nice wine as well: we ( once again) decided to ask to the owner a combination of wines for every dish and every time we found his choice perfect. Everything was done in the most relaxing and friendly way and even if it was very busy for a tuesday night, it seemed to me there was no stress at all between the staff. What really surprised Us was the fact that there were only 2 cooks and only 2 waiters ( including the owner!) but we couldn't notice anything missing in the service.
What a beautiful dinner we had: I wish you would open l'Ozio in Hamburg as well because I would come often to visit you!

• Visited October 2012

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Finally HAPPY!!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

As an Italian myself, I could't be more pleased with this restaurant!
The quality of food is excellent from ingredients to execution and presentation. The service is also perfect. Timing is just right. The location is not the usual tacky Italian restaurant abroad with red-white checkered table cloths and wine flasks, but it is a simple, airious, clean and almost minimalist environment.
We tried the degustation menu of October and it was a superb selection of seasonal ingredients, from porcini mushrooms to truffle and wild boar. Joy for the senses!
I really appreciated that they have no issues to change some of the courses included in the menu, so you can taste what you really like for a very reasonable price.
The kitchen is open view and it is amazing to see what 2/3 people can achieve in such a limited space.
Definitely a place to try and visit very often! BRAVISSIMI!

• Visited October 2012
Illinois
“Found by accident..what a nice surprize!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My sister and I had actually plannned to eat at another Italian restaurant, but found it closed. We began walking, actually trying to find a steak place that we had heard about. Saw this place was almost full on a rainy Wednesday night in September at 9:00 P.M. The dumb luck find of our vacation!!! Had a starter of asparagus on fondue. Really just sort of an asparagus quiche on cheese sauce....but wonderful, with the thickest, very nice balsamic vinegar on the side. I had risotto of the day...mushrooms, sauce, melt in your mouth goodness..just enough sauce, cooked to perfection. My sister had ravioli of the day...arugula stuffed, hand made, with a sage butter sauce..perfect. Red house wine was decent, bread was good, service very nice, not pushy, not rushed. Sbrisolona for dessert...crisp shortbread cookie-like dessert with almonds and apricots...made to be broken up, not cut. We ate it with our fingers. This was not on the menu, but the waittress said that a local woman who was originally from Northern Italy made it for the restaurant. One note...this is a Northern Italian restaurant, I don't believe that you will find a red sauce here. Very, very good. Light, bright, nice art...a little noisy. Nice collection of Italian cookbooks in the foyer (that's what caught our eye) My impression was local people or long term visitors were eating there the night we were there. Very comfortable...go and eat!!!

London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The rudest waiter ruined my experience of the restaurant. The food was good, a little on the small side but quality. Experienced the most abrupt service, ended up arguing with the waiter which ruined the evening.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A piece of Italy in Amsterdam, far away from the stereotypes”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

L'Ozio it's a place where you should go if you visit Amsterdam. Don't expect boring italian food for tourists, just home made specialities, plenty of flavour. Service is fast, waiters are nice and they check that everything is ok with your table without being pushy. The place looks stylish but it's not expensive for the Amsterdam standard. You will not find there italians flags on the tables or Sofia Loren's pictures, but contemporary art expositions by italian artists. We really had a perfect night, highly suggested.