“Worst accomodation over, AVOID it”
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

Bob's Youth Hostel
Ranked #195 of 242 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 21, 2008

dirty rooms, no breakfast, annoying room-mates, and the unfair staff sold our beds during the second night.

that's my suggestion: AVOID BOB'S YOUTH HOSTEL!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank tbdmrc

Reviewed August 13, 2008

Bob's is a great hostel for solo travelers. I went there alone and met tons of people in the 'lounge', there were lots of young people and solo like me. The location is good too. Close to central station and the tram is litterally right out front.
With all the young travelers there was also some pot smoking in the lounge so if that will bother you this is not the right hostel for you ;) There tiny little stair cases like with so many hostels and the rooms arent the classiest but it was the atmosphere of this chill hostel that will have me book there again and again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank steph_hynes
Reviewed July 7, 2008

This was the very first hostel I every stayed at. As such, I did not know how to compare it to others. At the end of my month's stay in Europe I came back to Amsterdam fly back home and ended up staying here again! First, the place is definatly "NOT" for everyone! It is a laid back kind of place that allows the smoking of marijuana and tobacco in the lobby and the use of "soft" drugs. Second, it is not new or modern and has very little amenities compared to most hostels. Third, all the beds are in same-sex shared dorms with at least 14 other people and some dorms are in a different building from the main one. Fourth, it's cleaning staff were extremely rude and the breakfast (included) could easily be missed. Finally, if you are not fit then forget about it. The dutch stairs are hellish as you try to breath the smokey air. Even though this place was primative and not as nice as other hostels I ended up staying at, it ended up being my favorite. This place is cheap, has an excellent location, is clean enough, not "too" loud at night, the reception workers are amazing (they were very kind), it has cheap drinks and snacks, and it adds that funkiness that just is so "Amsterdam"! Again, this was not the "Best Overall Hostel" I have ever stayed at, but it was my first and sentimentally it will always be a favorite in my book! I also met some great friends at this place! This place deserves at least one night of any young travelers itinerary!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank McCall E
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I didn't book my stay i really just walked in and i found the people working there to be really helpful. For a hostel is is a bit overpriced for what you get. (around 22 euro per night)I didnt shower while i was there becuase it was pretty dirty. The FREE breakfast is just two pieces of bread, jam and butter, a hardboiled egg and tea. The atmosphere there was okay but some of the other guests seemed to be closer to squatters than backpackers. ... oh and the top bunks have no railings, you could be on a bunk in the middle of the room with no side support what-so ever... this didnt make much sense to me as most of the people who will be sleeping in those beds will be HIGH! bob's is in a good location though. Bob's was my first time in a hostel and it definitly did not leave a nice taste in my mouth

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2008

This hostel is the WORST place I have stayed in.
It's completely dirty, the staff is not really friendly, the reception is through a bar which smell to marihuana constantly and it's small and dark.
I shared the room with 14 people more in a kind of block separately from the rest of the building. That was worse than to be in a prison! We shared a few showers which were completely dirty, filthy and repulsive and you did not have enough space to leave your clothes or the towel! (and the showers are inside the room). Everything is quite narrow and dirty to be more or less comfortable.
I wouldn't recommend this hostel even to my enemy!

• Stayed: March 2004, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I think that tells you all you need to know about this place. Ugh, I got locked out once because of their stupid curfew!! I'm not sure if they still have that. Oh, and come prepared to deal with bedbugs. No, those aren't mosquito bites!! In all my return trips to Amsterdam, I've steered way clear of this [--].

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled solo
2  Thank javaheidi
Reviewed January 6, 2008

To be perfectly honest this place is hell! The people at reception were terrible unfriendly, the room that we were in was filthy and the bathroom was worse- any of the people that had stayed there before us who had left toothbrushes/ clothes- all of their stuff was still in the room! So the bathroom was complete with 13 complimentary toothbrushes! The breakfast consisted of 2 boiled eggs which, to be honest, when you have the munchies, it pretty awesome! There was another place nearby called the flying pig or something and it looked SO nice, especially when compared to Bobs- we hadn't booked anything when we arrived- so I'd definately reccommend having some place to stay before you get there. The benefits of Bobs is that its right in the centre of Amsterdam, in a kinda mini red light district. There was a red light window right across the road, don't worry the red light district is fun and not scary at all! We'd run out of money by our last night so we just hung out in the doorway of our hostel getting wasted, and any random person who walked past us joined us- GREAT FUN!

Stayed: August 2006