“Awful- Do NOT stay here!!!”
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

and 1 more site!
Bob's Youth Hostel
Ranked #187 of 229 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Munich, Germany
“Awful- Do NOT stay here!!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth from several years ago as it doesn't apear to have changed... We travelled as a group of 6 girlfriends in Summer (August) 2006.

When we arrived, we were put in the back building down an adjacent street up about 100 stairs in the attic. In our large mixed dorm when we finally climbed the stairs, there was a used sanitary towel on the floor. On the blanket of my bed, there was some old chewing gum stuck on it. I couldn't even stretch out on my bed as the window for the whole room that needed to be kept open in the middle of summer, went over the end of my bed. Throughout the night, as the breeze changed, the window would bash against my foot.

Cleanliness was awful and the bathroom was vile- it was shared I think by about 15-18 people and there was always a queue.

Then, on the second night there, I was robbed in my sleep. I kept my purse and passport in my handbag wound round my hand in my bed. My wallet was stolen, including my room key. I was then- rather cheekily I might add, not allowed back the deposit for my room key despite the fact it was stolen from me as I slept in that god-awful hostel. They refused to help me even find the police station. I was stuck with no money for the rest of my trip and they would not even let me phone my bank etc- I had to do that from my mobile and incurred even more costs.

Oh, and it was right opposite a brothel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Catherinaaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I visited amsterdam with my boyfriend for the 2nd time and bob's is possibly the worst place in amsterdam, we checked in with a really cool receptionist and things were looking good, he then told us we were staying in the other part of the hotel which is like a street behind, i was a bit weary as i thought it would lack in safety but it was ok a guy sits at the entrance in the evening and you use a pin code to enter. On first glances the rooms looked fine, the shower i have to admit was clean and quite modern, the lockers are a good size to keep stuff in but my boyfriend happened to find a knife on top of the locker!!!!!! Thats not even the worse, the worst bit is the MICE, during the night you can hear them scurrying around and also you can hear them in the roof tiles absolutely horrible 3 sleepless nights thanks to bob!! When my boyfriend and I were storing out luggage in the main bit of the hostel on the day we checked out we saw the state of the main building, discussing graffiti everywhere, reminded me of a crackhouse! Their are so many other decent hostels please stay in one of these.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rebeccacole1

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Manchester
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Me and my friend stayed here for one night in a 16 bed female dorm, room cleanliness was excellent, beds were super comfortable and we felt really safe. Excellent value for money in an superb location! The only slight issue was the shower didnt drain and flooded the floor a tiny bit but would stay there again in a heartbeat! :)

• Stayed September 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Disgusting place... The bedroom was completely dirty, breakfast was horrible and we had to "climb" more than 100steps us on the stair to get to our room... Rude staff! Dont' go. Only thing positive: location!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
京都
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I didnt have any choice other than this hostel when I visited Amsterdam on a weekend in high season.
The location is good,some young staffs are friendly.

One thing which could be a problem is that the building itself is not that clean and new.
I dont recommend you to stay there in summer because the room will be so hot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cockeysville, Maryland
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Even though it was a relaxed atmosphere with friendly service, the words that come to mind with this hostel is dirty & unclean. Unfortunately, that is the lasting impression. If you're gonna stay for more than a night, I recommend staying somewhere else. I only needed a place for the night & I chose Bob's because it was the cheapest.

When I was checking in, the man behind the counter was very friendly & helpful. He took his time explaining the type of rooms they have & how much they cost. I had a thousand questions & he answered them all with patience. The thing that annoyed me was the desk was not 24 hours. He said I would get my security deposit when I check out but I was checking out at a time when the desk was closed. So I had to get up in the middle of the night to get my security deposit but they still let me stay until I officially checked out.

The bathroom was so disgusting!!!!!! Just think about a public restroom & not being cleaned for like 2 days. It was that bad. & I think there were only 2 outlets in the room with like 20 girls.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Bob's Youth Hostel is the worst hostel I've ever stayed in and I would not recomment it to anyone. the staff were incompetent, the rooms were cramped and from my expeience look nothing like they do in the photos, the breakfast isnt worth eating and the price is completely ridiculous for what you get. If you wanna see a full review check out my blog:

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends