“Convenient location, comfortable, good value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

Hotel Keizershof
Ranked #116 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Berryville, Virginia
“Convenient location, comfortable, good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Keizershof for 2 nights prior to a bike and barge trip that left from Amsterdam. The hotel is nicely located - easy to get to and from the train station using the tram (just 4 stops from the station and a walk down the block); close to major museums and other sites of interest (RIjksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, etc.). The proprietors were friendly and helpful - providing excellent restaurant suggestions, useful information about sites to see, etc. Breakfast was substantial, delicious and relaxed. Our room, overlooking one of the many canals, was clean, comfortable and quiet - pleasant for tired travelers. As other reviewers have commented, some of the facilities are shared, but they are very well maintained and sharing did not pose any problems at all.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Keizershof in Amsterdam in June for 3 nights. I had looked up the hotel on trip advisor before and decided that this would be a good option for me and my wife. Despite some of the rooms sharing facilities, for example we stayed in the Charlie Chaplin room and had our own private shower but shared a toilet with some other guests, this was never a problem as it was not shared between a lot of people and thus we never had to wait to use the bathroom. It was also maintained perfectly clean and again this is why we did not have any problems sharing the toilet. The room we stayed in was very spacious and clean and included tea / coffee, very tasty stroop wafels and satelite television featuring dutch and some english programmes.

The Hotel is ideally located, it is close enough to the historic centre and an easy 10 walk to a lot of museums and attractions yet it is far away enough from the party areas to provide a peaceful night sleep, we slept with the windows open and were not disturbed at all during the night by loud parties etc.

The hosts were very kind and provided a fantastic breakfast. This hotel is great value for money.

The beds were also very comfortable and spacious.

Be advised though that the rooms are located on the 3rd floor with some steep steps to get to the top but honestly I think this is a common feature of most Amsterdam establishments so do not let this put you off.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We quite enjoyed the Charlie Chaplin room, very spacious with a nice view over one of the canals and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

On line it looked perfect; quaint, quirky, old and family run. Just the sort of place for us on a short city break. We had read that "some rooms" shared facilities but this had won the 2014 award and therefore should be excellent in all areas. The hotel is superbly positioned on one of the atmospheric main canals of Amsterdam and in walking distance of everywhere. The most dangerous aspect of all streets in this capital are the many thousands of cyclists that speed everywhere having no regard for dreamy tourists enjoying the atmosphere and this is as true on the doorstep of this fine building as any where in the rest of the city.

We were two middle aged couples and on arrival one of the owners instantly assessed our physical agility and decided for us which rooms we were having. One, was up a precipitous single flight of stairs off the main lower ground floor, (where everything happened) but ours was up 3 flights of narrow spiral stairs passing though the office suite of a local advocate emerging on a landing of a communal toilet and shower rooms sharing with a number of rooms. I am sure this was made clear before reservation but I did not find this information and I have to admit that a few nights of pleasure away, do not include sharing my ablutions. I gave that up many years ago. I have to say that we did not encounter any queues for facilities during our stay although a very heavy footed group seemed to be awake above our heads for many hours of the night. The room was adequately furnished with very utilitarian flat pack cheap pine furniture and a pedestal basin scoured to an extent that an elephant could file its claws . There was no telephone but a TV, the free WiFi had a very poor signal and the view from the mesh sealed picture window over residential Amsterdam was pleasantly filtered. On the wall were two notices; one, simply informing guests that anyone caught smoking would be instantly evicted day or night and the other saying that this was a cash only room and full payment was to be made the evening before departure. We were therefore a touch grieved when on the morning of our departure, we witnessed some Australian guests paying using credit cards! This late notice of transaction threw our budgeting out somewhat!

The moaning is now finished. The family who own and run this fine 17th century canal side hotel are friendly, welcoming and attentive to the aspects of the bed and breakfast service they offer. Breakfast is a social and replete event with every possibility of excellent pastries and omelette being on hand cooked by the brother of the lady who met us on our arrival. The matriarch of this hotel was their mother, Mary who at 80 was still firmly in command of this one time jewel. The problem for us was that it was embedded in an era of post Second World War Europe and needed seriously modernising and on our part, we would have dearly paid more for the potential this fine building and location could have offered. If hotel seekers are elderly, infirmed and want comfort, look elsewhere but if you are happy for a few nights of simplicity, then give it a try.

Room Tip: One with en-suite facilities and check for credit card payment
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Ted H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in mid May with my better half and it was one of the best B&B's i have ever stayed in.. the room was large and cleaned everyday.. Ernest and Hanneke were excellent hosts.. we stayed in a room overlooking the canal and was wonderful and quiet.. they also gave us tips regarding places to see locally etc. the only downside is if you are carrying large luggage - the only way up is traditional Amsterdam way - a winding staircase! if i go back to Amsterdam i would definitely stay here or recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the best Omelettes you would ever get!
3 Thank Bala K
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Keizershof for 2 nights in May and we loved it! The hotel is very clean, cute and has a lot of character. It's in a centralized location, walking distance to everything (we never needed public transportation). The room we stayed in was large, clean and had everything we needed (including a great hair dryer). I believe we were in the John Wayne room which overlooked the gardens and the Rijks Museum. Mary, Ernest and Hanneke were fantastic hosts! They were fun to talk to and gave us tips on restaurants, sites and bars in Amsterdam. They also gave us tips for Paris, which was our next destination.

The breakfast was included and it was delicious! The wifi worked great! The shower and bathroom (in our room) were clean and worked well.

Previous reviews complain that the rooms are dated and that there is a windy staircase. The rooms aren't brand new, but they are clean, functioning and have a lot of character. I'll take character over modern any day! In regards to the staircase...again, it adds character. If you don't think you can climb a spiral staircase with your luggage, maybe you can ask for a room on a lower level...My husband and I had backpacks, so carrying our luggage up the stairs was not an issue for us. My husband and I plan on going back to Amsterdam and we would definitely stay here again. We would also recommend the Hotel Keizershof to all our friends and family.

2 Thank Kami N
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in the room with the blue fireplace. The room was clean, spacious, comfortable and everything we expected from the pictures and reviews. Mary, Ernest and Hanneke were lovely hosts, and there to answer any questions one might have about Amsterdam. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and their house and garden were beautiful and well maintained. I would encourage everyone to stay here. The location is perfect. Hope to be back someday!

Room Tip: The room with the blue fireplace overlooking the garden is amazing!
3 Thank Bonnie B
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is my first review ever that's how great this place is! I've been using Tripadvisor for years but never wrote reviews - let me tell you I just had to for this place! Ernst and Anike were the best host a solo traveler could ask for. I was there for 5 nights - April 18 thru April 23, 2014. I felt safe and well taken care of. This hotel had the best location for me (widow - solo - 49) right in the middle - one side the party life - the other side nice and quiet with low key things to do. Yes, the spiral staircase was a challenge but at the end of my trip, my thighs were looking good! The rooms were clean, I had a single facing the canal, and had everything I needed for my stay. I did share a bathroom with other guests (full occupancy when I stayed) but never did I have to wait or at any time were the bathrooms unkept. And the breakfasts were the full spread - Ernst's omelettes were yummy. Never left hungry and I made use of the included breakfast - they kept me going until my evening meal. For me, as a solo traveler, I really loved being able to converse with the other travelers and the hosts every morning - made my trip even more special. They were always eager to share and gave great advice! I finished the rest of my European excursion (Germany) wanting to go back to Amsterdam and Hotel Keizershof!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo