“Outstanding in every way”
Review of Hotel Keizershof

Hotel Keizershof
Ranked #165 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This canal house hotel provided us with a spotlessly clean, spacious room. There is no elevator and the stairs are an Amsterdam special. After a week we were going up and down them like mountain goats! if I stayed a month I could drop the gym membership. Every morning we were treated to a Dutch breakfast, yogurt, cereals, juice, bread/toast, cheeses, omelets, tea, coffee and pastries. The family De Vries are WONDERFUL! Very well informed about the area and willing to help with itineraries. They were so sweet to my daughter that she wanted to stay with them! Mary suggested several sights which were not in my many guidebooks. Awesome! Another thing going for this hotel is location. A half block from the tram, about three blocks from the flower market. It doesn't get any better than this. I only have one reservation in writing this review, and that is that every one will want to stay here! When we left on Sunday, Mary arranged for a taxi to Centraal as the trams did not run that early. It is now our "home in Amsterdam". We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Charlie Chaplin is the triple room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Collygirl

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed in Amsterdam at this hotel for two nights.It was my euro trip in March The attention received by the family was great. The room was spacious and very clean. Its location is excellent, as it's a 5 minutes walk from central Amsterdam. The tramcar line passes half a block away.The breakfast had a wide variety of cheeses, teas and cakes. I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Albert P
Reviewed March 17, 2013

By time we arrived at the Hotel Keizershof following a day-long drive from eastern Germany, we were very cranky from the stress of travel. Mary greeted us at the door and helped us secure a parking space out front, no small feat in Amsterdam. From then on, we were home. Our third-floor room was clean and spacious and looked out over the garden in the rear of the building. The bathroom was large and serviceable. The beds were quite comfy and warm.

But what makes the Keizershof so special is the hospitality of the family that owns the property. Mary and her daughter Hanneke were so welcoming and friendly and made sure we had everything we needed.

To be sure, the winding staircase to the third floor is a challenge! It just means that you'll go up and down fewer times.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank misstutti2
Reviewed March 5, 2013

simple room, nice little breakfast, located on a quiet street in the old town. very sweet couple has their kids artwork all over the hotel- they adopted a rescue dog. they were quite accommodating and I'd be happy to go back. The shower was outside the room, but had good pressure and was immaculate. overall a good experience

Room Tip: Simple rooms, nice little breakfast, good shower pressure.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Biz W
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here from 07/12/2012 for 3 nights good location very homely just like staying with old friends breakfast very nice as with other reviews the only thing that maybe no good for other guests is the spiral staircase if you are the type of person who always takes the escalator and never the stairs in shopping centres/ airports then look for a hotel with a lift .

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Boondoggle1234
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I just stayed at the Keizershof for, I believe, the sixth time. (It would have been more but it's such a popular place, and so small, I haven't gotten a room a few times I have tried). The DeVries family could not be nicer! From their nice greeting, to their wonderful breakfast with great omelette, to going so far as to send us on our way with stroopwaffels when they found out we were leaving so early we would miss breakfast, everything done there just has that in someone's family's house touch. And when it came to paying, we know the routine--cash only--and we understand that given fees charged the businesses. However, my bank had put a hold on what I could take out for the day, and when I mentioned that, and that I could pay later in cash, I was immediately told not to worry about it, and that I could pay with a card. (Next time I will make sure to have the cash in advance, because there will be a next time). The location is great, the canal view rooms are nice. What more can I say? This is one of those places I almost hate to review glowingly because I like to keep it to myself and ensure I can get a room next time I try, but I feel compelled to spread the word for the DeVries family. Bravo!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank silentobserver
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Thanks to the reviews I read on TripAdvisor, my friends and I stayed at this wonderful B&B located along the Keizersgracht Canal for 4 days, and we couldn’t have been happier with the accommodations! I would definitely stay here again, and would happily recommend this place to family and friends.

Pros:

-The wonderful breakfasts! (the omelettes are amazing!)

-The DeVries family were very helpful, friendly, and offered recommendations on what to do, where to eat, what to see, etc.

-Beautiful scenery along the canal

-Centrally located

-Comfortable beds

-Free wifi

-They speak English!

Cons:

-Steep, spiraling staircase (it really wasn't THAT bad)

-Not every room has a restroom attached, so some rooms have to share a community bathroom and shower. There was never a wait to use the restroom or shower, so this really wasn't a big issue.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank MarBaz