“Best little hotel/b&b in Amsterdam”
Review of Hotel Keizershof

Hotel Keizershof
Ranked #140 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
BROOKLIN
“Best little hotel/b&b in Amsterdam”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The central location helps, but by far the best thing about Keizershof is the hospitality and warmth that the Dvries family gives to all their guests. Breakfasts are amazing, with Mary cooking fresh herb omelets to order, a wide array of Dutch cheeses, and Ernest's fresh baked breads. One afternoon we were having a cup of tea in the common room, and Ernest introduced us to stroopwafels, a unique Dutch treat. We loved them...and when we were leaving to go home, he gave us a package of them as a present. It's these little personal moments that make a hotel stay truely exceptional.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brooklin_sailor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I read the glowing reviews on Trip Advisor before making my 4 night reservation. Everything people have reported about the warm and wonderful hospitality of the Dvries Family is absolutely true. At breakfast guests gather at the long communal table to share stories while enjoying a filling traditional Dutch breakfast of homemade breads, cheese, pastries/cakes, all sorts of cereals, fruits and eggs and Dutch pancakes (like crepes). The hotel has wireless Internet, but only in certain places and one such place is the breakfast room, where the guests often check their emails while getting local advice from Ernest and Mary. This is like a home away from from home.

Room Tip: My room, the John Wayne room (the rooms are named after movie stars) was on the top floor and faced...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ElizRes
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2012

My sister and I spent 6 nights at Hotel Keizershof and had an amazing time! Ernest and his mom, Mary, were outstanding hosts and never once made us feel as if we were imposing on them, answering questions and making us feel right at home. Breakfasts were truly amazing and more than we ever expected. Everyone there offered us directions and suggestions on where to eat (away from all the other tourists), what to see and do, and how to get there. We stayed in the Marlene Dietrick room and it was perfect for the two of us. Very comfortable, clean and we even had a bouquet of tulips in our room the second day we were there. You won't be disappointed if you chose Hotel Keizershof. I will recommend them to all of my friends and family traveling to Amsterdam and will definitely stay there again if my travels take me back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Susan N
Calgary
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Checked out of the Hotel Keizershof this morning - my man and I stayed there three nights in the Charlie Chapline room. It was on the third floor of the hotel, overlooking the canal. The room was quite large for a European hotel - it had a small settee, two twin beds pushed together to form a king, a small table and dresser and easily still enough room to spread out a yoga mat if I'd had the inclination. The room had an ensuite shower and sink, the toilet was a shared one located in the hall adjacent to the room which i got used to with no issues. Hairdryer was this peculiar vacuum-style wall hanging apparatus which I thought must be ancient, but by the end of the stay wished I had at home - quiet and effective. The room was immaculately clean, the bed was comfy, the stairs were a good workout.

The hotel is very easy to find and is located in the best possible spot - easy walking distance to all the Amsterdam action and museums, but situated along a quiet and safe canal.

So, it's a great place to stay and I'm sure this review sounds much like all the rest. But my favorite part of the stay had little to do with the amenities or the location. The hotel is much like a B&B. The sumptuous breakfasts were held at a communal table so introverted me got a chance to meet many of the other guests, hear about their experiences and travels. Bizarre, but all the guests aside from us were American - likely fresh from reading Rick Steve's recommendation of the hotel (there's a photo of Rick visiting the hotel owners mounted in the ground floor hallway) - and there is no one more friendly than an American...with the possible exception of Hotel Keizershof's gregarious hosts. We got fabulous advice ranging from from jet lag strategies to restaurant recommendations to how to avoid Paris pick pockets.

If you're looking for a relatively quiet, extremely welcoming and sociable place to stay, I highly recommend Hotel Keizershof.

Room Tip: Quietest room will be towards the back, but with the windows closed, we weren't disturbed even i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OotyKate
jackson, wy
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My wife and I spent five nights at Hotel Keizershof. We came to Amsterdam for the art museums and the tulips, both of which were incredible. But it was our stay at Hotel Keizershof that we both agreed was the highlight. The breakfast each morning, talking with the other guests, getting tips from the Hotel owners on what to do and where to eat, and the back yard garden made it such a wonderful experience. We loved our room - Mae West - and the view out our window, especially at night, was intoxicating. We opened a bottle of wine and soaked it in. Close to everything, we walked to everything we did.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tornportraits
SoCal
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My fifth trip to Amsterdam and forth stay at the Hotel Keizershof on the Keizersgracht in Central city. It is convenient to everything. clean and comfortable, and reasonably priced. Several rooms have canal views, but I stayed in the room with a view of their lovely quiet garden. Best of all you have a breakfast each morning prepared by one of the family, and sit with an international group around the breakfast table. Hanneke brings you hot, fresh coffee and Mary fixes an omelet. Fresh baked bread, fresh fruit, and fresh juice. This morning I met a couple from Brazil, another from France, and a third are Italian but live in Ireland. Some are going to museums today, some to shop, all withing walking distance. Who knows who I'll meet over breakfast the next time I'm here?

Room Tip: I stayed in Roufge last night, spacious and quiet with its own bathroom. Usually I stay in Mae West...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank pedrosocal
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Had some slight trouble looking for the trams from Centraal station to Keizergracht but we managed to find the hotel. Had to ring the bell a couple of times, even went to ring the door upstairs which I've found out it wasn't connected to the hotel.
Was welcomed by one of the owner. Stairs were quite steep going to our room. Room was spacious and lovely.

Had recommendations from them to try Walem for lunch which we did. Breakfast was truly sublime with a lot of food to choose from. Their omelettes are made when requested.
Will book with this hotel again should I decide to come back to visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends