“Nice hotel but be warned!”

Max Brown Hotel Canal District
Ranked #95 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Was really looking forward to staying in the quirky looking loft room with our 2 kids & to celebrate my wife's birthday. Be warned as they stuck us in 'their other loft room'...you know, the one that isn't in the loft and doesn't have the balcony mentioned in our booking. No apologies at all - just tough luck! On top of that there were a pair of doors either below or in the neighbouring house that slammed over 50 times...always last thing at night or first thing in the morning. They clearly have never slept in their own rooms. If it was my place, I would pay to fix the doors whoever they belonged to. Our utter disappointment could have been managed if someone in charge had bothered to speak to us or apologise or better still sort the issues. Shame because Amsterdam is a wonderful city (even in the drizzle). Let's see if the Chic & Basic owners ever get in contact.

Room Tip: Watch out for the loft room that isn't a loft room or staff who could not think for themselves.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Neil L

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Chic and basic sums it up pretty well. The decor is mildly funky and the rooms are pretty basic - one of our party, in the most basic kind of room, had nowhere to hang clothes - and the stairs are vertiginously steep and narrow. However, it's clean and quiet, an easy walk (even with suitcases) from the station, overlooks a canal, is near good places to eat, and the staff are nice, so you forgive a lot. The most tiresome thing was being in a room in the building next door to the main hotel - which meant that every time we wanted to get in we had to ask someone from the main hotel to find the key to open the street door. Breakfast is fairly meagre too. But overall it's OK as long as you adjust your expectations before arriving...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I chose this hotel for the proximity to the train station on our last night in Amsterdam. After we arrived, we were told our room was being "renovated" and we couldn't stay there! No prior communication through text, phone or email. Just "You are being sent to another hotel." The hosts at Chic and Basic looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for some sort of paperwork to verify that I had a reservation at the hotel they were sending us to. The host said, "Just get in the cab, and he will take you there...." Again I insisted on something to show I was actually going to have a room in the other hotel- there was no way I was just getting in a cab and being driven to another location without information. It took 3 disgruntled looking employees to come up with something for me to take with me to show my reservation. And the whole time they looked like they were the ones being inconvenienced. The other hotel was miles from the train station and we were forced to take a cab to the airport the next morning, costing us $50! terrible experience.

2  Thank jeanne r
Jan N, Manager at Max Brown Hotel Canal District, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Jeane r,

In the last couple of weeks we have improved and remodeled Chic&Basic Amsterdam. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused for you and for letting you down on your expectations. Normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care.

Please note that all renovation works are finished and we now have a brand new hotel for you to enjoy.

I hope that we still may have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Jan Nijman
Hotel Manager
Chic&Basic Amsterdam

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We arrived on Friday and were greeted by friendly, helpful staff. Our room was 004. Small but perfect for a city stay as we spent hardly any time in our room. The shower room was small but again fine for our needs . Storage space is minimal .This room is on the ground floor and accessed by going out through an open area but a very small distance so again not a problem and I was grateful not to have to negotiate the steep stairs . The beds and pillows very fab. Location is perfect on the canal and only a 5 min walk to the train station and lovely bars and restaurants also Dam square and the Anne Frank house .Breakfast was certainly basic and very disappointing but free tea and coffee is available all day. The staff were excellent during our stay recommending places to eat , helping with transport arrangements etc. This is good value , clean modern, accomodation in an excellent location at a reasonable price in an expensive city.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I feel unable to give this Hotel any kind of rating. I have read previous reviews about this Hotel but took it with a pinch of salt as I have found in the past that poor comments from one person can not always mean the same experience for all. I was however wrong on this occasion.

I have never put a review on this site before but felt unable to not warn people about this Hotel.

I booked this Hotel in March for my trip to Amsterdam on 9th May. I arrived in Amsterdam in the morning so decided to see if it was possible to leave my case with them until we were able to book in at 3pm. The guy on reception took our name and had no hesitation in agreed to keep our luggage until our room was ready. We returned about 2pm, still a little early for booking in but was happy to wait. We were approached by a female member of staff who said "we have some good new and bad". She informed us that there was no room available as they were updating the bathroom and it wasn't ready so they had a 4 star Hotel we could go to at the other side of the City.

Thanks to this site I was aware of this Hotel having done this before, I questioned
why they didn't inform me in the morning when I left my bag and also why they did' contact me before my arrival date to advise me of the situation, she was unable to answer either question. I also told her that this is not the first time this had happened as I have seen comments in this site before, again she struggled to comment.

She told me there was a taxi outside and was confused as to why I wouldn't be pleased with the offer of a 4 star hotel and she would throw in breakfast.

I advised her to send the taxi away as I wasn't going, she was still confused as to why I was so annoyed and why I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. To make matters worse another couple arrived and proceeded to be checked in, I was advised they had booked a different room type!

I told her to cancel everything and I would sort out my own accommodation. She agreed and said there would be no cancellation charge, nice of her as It was the Hotel who had not honoured my booking in the first place.

Please think twice before booking this Hotel, I chose to find out for myself, my mistake.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wayneeee2014

Dear Wayneeee2014,

I hope that we still may have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Jan Nijman
Hotel Manager
Chic&Basic Amsterdam

Reviewed May 9, 2014

The location of the hotel is very good, not too far from Central Station and near to restaurants and trams etc, and on a canal and in a quiet location. But it is very basic indeed and over-priced for what it is. The room was very small, barely enough space to squeeze by the bottom of the bed, and you couldn't open the shower-room door fully as it hit the bed. The shower-room had barely enough space to turn around in and was like a cupboard. The small TV had a habit of switching itself off for no reason. Also for our room we had to go into an outdoor alleyway to access it, not good when it was raining. The alleyway had some builders materials left there which didn't leave a good impression. The one small window in the room faced into the alleyway. The bed was reasonably comfortable though and there was no noise at night.

The main entrance are of the hotel was unusual and was a pleasant enough place to sit - important as you could not really sit in the room as it was too small. There were some nice art books to browse through, but it's difficult to say anything more positive than that. There was a 'free' breakfast which consisted of a basket with some rolls in - no butter or cheese or anything - and free coffee from a machine. The staff were reasonably helpful, but just seemed to be a set of young people who were working temporarily and didn't seem to be hotel oriented.

I don't know where the chic idea came from, the design concept seemed to be a kind of retro recycled look which is not my idea of chic. It was certainly basic though but not with prices to match.

Would I stay again, certainly not.

Room Tip: You don't want room 004 but not sure if the others are much better.
1  Thank David C
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights over Easter. The hotel is in a lovely location. The room was clean, with a very comfy bed and the room was cleaned well everyday. It was also decorated nicely with a few quirky light fittings and furniture.The room was very small and the TV didn't work, some of the fixtures (sink & shower) were a bit rickety and weren't fitted very well to the wall. The bathroom was a tiny black wet room with no windows. The common parts of the hotel are also a bit shabby. Whilst it could do with a little spruce up in places, it's still a nice little hotel and I would recommend it for the location alone.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple