“Loved our stay here” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #132 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Madison, Wisconsin
“Loved our stay here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 10/11/12-10/15/12. We stayed in the Old Dutch Suite. We loved our room, the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect. There are unbrellas you can borrow. We also borrowed an adapter for my cell during our stay. There is one computer you can use for free. It was usually available when I wanted to use it. Short walk to/from the train station, right across the street from the canal ride, maybe a 20 minute walk to the Anne Frank House, and close to many restaurants and bars. There is a grocery store next door- good for snacks, and it was only a 5 minute walk to do laundry. Breakfast was O.K. What they had was good, just not much of a selection for me. Bread, cheese, meat, cereal, small oranges. Coffee, hot cocoa, and juice to drink. I will definitely stay here again and in the Old Dutch Suite. We really loved this unique room. Nice decor, and a nice patio area off the room. The only downside is there is no shower curtain so some water does end up on the bathroom floor. I had read about this in previous reviews so it didn't surprise me.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a couple definitely choose the Old Dutch Suite. It may cost more, but it is...
1 Thank Elizabeth M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I've encountered problem upon checked-in to the hotel. Please don't get me wrong, not hotel fault, it was travel agent whose failed to inform hotel regarding my reservation.
(It was later explained as duplicate booking or so on...)
Mr Jos was very friendly and helpful. He asked me not to worry, he has room for me.
He said he will check with the travel agent regarding the problem.
I felt so warm and really thankful to him...if not for him, i will have to find a room at other hotel by dragging my luggages to walk around amsterdam city.

Ask for room at 2nd floor facing the backyard (B209).
I love the view from my room to the hotel backyard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank samwong
Montevideo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

It comply with all our expectatives: clean, very well located, very kind attention and moderately priced.

• 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank JCPesok
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

As first timers to Amsterdam this hotel could not have been easier to find! It's right across from the train station and a lot of canal tours. Amsterdam is a walking city, and being located here was perfect. We stayed in the Apartment with 5 people and it worked great. They had fans for the upstairs room which was awesome. We did not utilize the kitchen much but that would be perfect for a family. The only annoyance was that there is only one computer to get online with so there was usually a line to wait in to check email. You could purchase wifi but it was only good for one device and it was a per-day fee. Breakfast was ok. The staff was great and had good recommendations! Neat place overall.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank UrbanL18
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked hotel online and reservation held with credit card. Website and email confirmation clearly stated twice that credit card would not be charged and can pay cash upon checkin. When I checked in I was informed that my credit card had already been charged. I am from US, so by charging my credit card I was also charged a service charge for the card being used in Amsterdam.
The desk clerk said the email did not state that I could pay cash at checkin. I then showed him a copy of the email stating the card would not be charged and cash could be paid at checkin. He then said that he was "just an employee" and couldn't help me.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Nancy R
BIGBOSSAmsterdam, Owner at A-Train Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear guest, you had reserved one or more rooms in our hotel through one of our special offers,
HOT DEAL or NON-REFUNDABLE!
ATTENTION: booking policies differ from general hotel policy!
Deposit: The total price of the reservation will be charged on the day of booking and is non-refundable.
Cancellation: Please note, if cancelled or modified or in case of a no-show the total price of the reservation will be charged.

The above was clearly stated at your confirmation of the booking.
Jos Heijnsdijk, Owner of the A-Train hotel.