“Great Place- But beware of the stairs!”
Review of Bicycle Hotel

Bicycle Hotel
Ranked #205 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Bicycle Hotel was a great, out of the centre base if your planning on being out for most of the day! I booked through a hostel company so I wasn't expecting much, however when we got there I was pleasently suprised! The comunal space was clean and inviting and the staff were superb. There was free internet access within the communal area and you could hire bikes with them if you wanted to. The only issue had a couple of issues, one being the stairs in the place. I had booked for 5 of us to stay, so I had a couple of rooms booked out, theses happened to be on the top floor, which didn't seem so bad when the member of staff handed me our keys, that was until I stood at the bottom of the stairs...they are near vertical and horrendous for getting luggage up. Get back down was even more of a nightmare as you couldn't see the next step infront properly, I had to resort to coming down them in the ballet 1st position (feet outwards!) the whole way down. You had to make sure you had everything with you before you left your room as the hike back up just didn't seem worth it! Apart from that, everything was great!
The staff were great, when we first got there, we had arrived early and they let us leave our bags with them while we went for a wander about. They also helped with the tram system and how was best to get into the centre.
The surrounding areas of the hotel were nice and a lot less crowded and hectic than Amsterdam centre, there's a great market just a couple of streets away, where you can litlerally buy anything! Just a short walk up from the hotel is a square with good restaraunts, and during the day there is a cake shop that can only be seen to be believed! There is also a great pub right near the bicycle hotel which is very friendly and welcoming.
Overall, great place to stay with everything you could need!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank LCM79

Reviewed September 18, 2009

Having looked at a lot of reviews for budget hotels in Amsterdam and seeing that most of them are abysmal, we found the Bicycle Hotel to be perfectly sufficient. Finding it was difficult, in large part because we missed our tram stop, but once you're a block away you can't miss it, thanks to the bicycles bolted to the 2nd floor of the building's facade. The hotel was pretty clean, although for a longer stay, I would probably spring for something a little nicer. The bathroom in our triple room upstairs didn't smell fantastic, for example. Our room had nice big windows, a TV with an English language channel (though why you would want to spend time in Amsterdam watching TV I don't know), and three adequate beds. Tram stops aren't far away, which is nice because it's a bit of a hike (although completely doable) to the centre of town.

A lot of reviewers on TripAdvisor freak out about small things, but you get what you pay for, and this place does the trick for a weekend. It's hard to beat the price, anyway.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Expatastic
Reviewed August 7, 2008

This was our first stop during our 3-week long Europe trip. It has a great location near transit, and is also a short walk from the 'Daily Market' on Albert Cuypstraat - a convenient place to get cheap souvenirs. The van Gogh/Rijks/Stedelijk museums are about a 15 minute walk, and you'll want to take transit to the train station/flower market/Anne Frank house. Our room was on the fourth floor - up several flights of steep steps. The room was small but clean, and we shared a toilet and shower with four other rooms (not very clean). Breakfast was great, free internet, and the staff were very helpful in recommending authentic Dutch places to eat and how to navigate the transit system.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank yellowsub101
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Our flat "the apartment" across the street, was awesome. It was clean, large and comfortable and we really liked staying in De Pijp. Bicycle Hotel staff were very nice!! Especially the girl that let us have breakfast when we came down late, we didn't have our clock set properly and we were an hour off! Also, the guy that rented us bikes was so very friendly and most helpful. We liked having free internet too. However, we were scolded for having my friend and her husband stop by to check out our room for all of a half an hour! Also, my husband was scolded and questioned very rudely when he brought my coffee cups back to the main kitchen! Definite buzzkill after a great week, and after we kept our place so neat and clean for the staff.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJJNorthCarolina
Reviewed February 7, 2008

the hotel was decent ,clean ,comfortable.there was much to see right around the neightborhood,De,Pijp.Cafe Roos,made me feel like home.all was good around the area I,d rate this place excellent . alaska man AMGA

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed September 30, 2007

The pros: The hotel is nice, near a Tram Station, a supermaket. and many restaurants. The breakfast is quite decent, and the staff is really nice, in fact they are the best feature of this hotel. You have two computers with internet acces to use for free. Reasonable price in Amsterdam.
The cons: Don't expect any cleaning service while you are in the hotel. I wasn't sure if the sheets were clean or not, I didn't wanted to know but stains are not good in any bed. Stairs are dangerous, but I think it is normal in Amsterdam, Bathroom's plumbery is not very good. You can't use the computers before 8 am or after 11pm.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I am from singapore. I travelled to amsterdam and stayed in bicycle hotel for three days... I like it for its coziness, not noisy as compared to a hostel or backpackers I stayed in London where they are too many backpackers crowding and drinking and making lots of noise

I also appreciate for the free wireless internet where i can bring my laptop to surf net in my own room :) (however please check with bicycle hotel staff cause it only reach a certain level of floors)

IMPORTANT: I loan out a bicycle from them and it somehow disppear or got stolen when I park my bicycle at the central train station (I definitely lock it cause I heard many cases of stolen bicycles)... I reported it to the hotel and they charge me i think for 100 or 150 EURO through credit card for the loss of the bicycle and the most amazing thing is that a few days later (when I returned to London), I got an email from a staff called Marjolein and she mentioned that they have found the bicycle and will not charge me :)... i really appreciate for their honesty and their after service.

It is a hotel that I can trust and will not hesitate to recommend to my friends and if I can go to amsterdam again, will stay in this hotel again...

anyway this hotel i do think it is more ideal for young people, anyway as what other people has mentioned, the staircase is steep... overall with regards to the room... i think it is clean, you are paying for what it is worth, I reckon it is a rate for a third star hotel plus that they already have excellent service... so be realistic about your expectations.

Stayed: July 2007