“Not bad for a weekend” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bicycle Hotel

You added Bicycle Hotel to your Saves list
Bicycle Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Ostadestraat 123 | The Pijp, 1072 SV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (De Pijp)   |
Ranked #175 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, UK
“Not bad for a weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Having looked at a lot of reviews for budget hotels in Amsterdam and seeing that most of them are abysmal, we found the Bicycle Hotel to be perfectly sufficient. Finding it was difficult, in large part because we missed our tram stop, but once you're a block away you can't miss it, thanks to the bicycles bolted to the 2nd floor of the building's facade. The hotel was pretty clean, although for a longer stay, I would probably spring for something a little nicer. The bathroom in our triple room upstairs didn't smell fantastic, for example. Our room had nice big windows, a TV with an English language channel (though why you would want to spend time in Amsterdam watching TV I don't know), and three adequate beds. Tram stops aren't far away, which is nice because it's a bit of a hike (although completely doable) to the centre of town.

A lot of reviewers on TripAdvisor freak out about small things, but you get what you pay for, and this place does the trick for a weekend. It's hard to beat the price, anyway.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Expatastic

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

This was our first stop during our 3-week long Europe trip. It has a great location near transit, and is also a short walk from the 'Daily Market' on Albert Cuypstraat - a convenient place to get cheap souvenirs. The van Gogh/Rijks/Stedelijk museums are about a 15 minute walk, and you'll want to take transit to the train station/flower market/Anne Frank house. Our room was on the fourth floor - up several flights of steep steps. The room was small but clean, and we shared a toilet and shower with four other rooms (not very clean). Breakfast was great, free internet, and the staff were very helpful in recommending authentic Dutch places to eat and how to navigate the transit system.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — Shared bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank yellowsub101
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Our flat "the apartment" across the street, was awesome. It was clean, large and comfortable and we really liked staying in De Pijp. Bicycle Hotel staff were very nice!! Especially the girl that let us have breakfast when we came down late, we didn't have our clock set properly and we were an hour off! Also, the guy that rented us bikes was so very friendly and most helpful. We liked having free internet too. However, we were scolded for having my friend and her husband stop by to check out our room for all of a half an hour! Also, my husband was scolded and questioned very rudely when he brought my coffee cups back to the main kitchen! Definite buzzkill after a great week, and after we kept our place so neat and clean for the staff.

• Liked — Staying in the apartment
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JJJNorthCarolina
ALASKA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

the hotel was decent ,clean ,comfortable.there was much to see right around the neightborhood,De,Pijp.Cafe Roos,made me feel like home.all was good around the area I,d rate this place excellent . alaska man AMGA

Stayed November 2007
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

The pros: The hotel is nice, near a Tram Station, a supermaket. and many restaurants. The breakfast is quite decent, and the staff is really nice, in fact they are the best feature of this hotel. You have two computers with internet acces to use for free. Reasonable price in Amsterdam.
The cons: Don't expect any cleaning service while you are in the hotel. I wasn't sure if the sheets were clean or not, I didn't wanted to know but stains are not good in any bed. Stairs are dangerous, but I think it is normal in Amsterdam, Bathroom's plumbery is not very good. You can't use the computers before 8 am or after 11pm.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I am from singapore. I travelled to amsterdam and stayed in bicycle hotel for three days... I like it for its coziness, not noisy as compared to a hostel or backpackers I stayed in London where they are too many backpackers crowding and drinking and making lots of noise

I also appreciate for the free wireless internet where i can bring my laptop to surf net in my own room :) (however please check with bicycle hotel staff cause it only reach a certain level of floors)

IMPORTANT: I loan out a bicycle from them and it somehow disppear or got stolen when I park my bicycle at the central train station (I definitely lock it cause I heard many cases of stolen bicycles)... I reported it to the hotel and they charge me i think for 100 or 150 EURO through credit card for the loss of the bicycle and the most amazing thing is that a few days later (when I returned to London), I got an email from a staff called Marjolein and she mentioned that they have found the bicycle and will not charge me :)... i really appreciate for their honesty and their after service.

It is a hotel that I can trust and will not hesitate to recommend to my friends and if I can go to amsterdam again, will stay in this hotel again...

anyway this hotel i do think it is more ideal for young people, anyway as what other people has mentioned, the staircase is steep... overall with regards to the room... i think it is clean, you are paying for what it is worth, I reckon it is a rate for a third star hotel plus that they already have excellent service... so be realistic about your expectations.

Stayed July 2007
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay in the Bicycle hotel.

The hotelstaff was very cool & helpfull. They told me what the best places were to go out. I had the best party in my life!
Amsterdam is the place to be!

The location was great. A lot of restaurants and pubs on walking distance from the hotel.

My room was clean and very nice (I liked the pictures on the wall...)

I also rent a bicycle. It wasn't easy to ride on, but I enjoyed it so much...

I really recommend you to stay at the Bicycle hotel.

It was great!!!I'm hoping to come back next year...

• Liked — I think the personal contact with the hotel staff and the ability to rent bicycles...
  • Disliked — I just liked it all...sorry