“Perfect for our needs”

Ranked #50 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Perfect for our needs”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have the necessary for a good hosting no luxury, but honest qualities. It is quiet, clean, and the staff is very friendly. Perfect. Have lift, which in a city like Amsterdam is rare. The location is great: you can walk to the main museums and is only minutes from the bus that leads to the airport. My family and I (3 people total) stayed in a triple room very spacious, light, quiet (even though it was facing the street), with comfortable beds and a good bathroom. The breakfast is simple but good, highlighting the quality espresso and cappuccino coffee. The hotel met all our needs and we intend to go back, love staying in it.

Room Tip: I don't know about the others, but the triple room we stayed on the third floor and facing the s...
1 Thank Andrea B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Hotel Aalders is a superb family hotel located within walking distance of major museums in Amsterdam. Staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly, and the breakfast is a great way to start your day. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank donusn
Amsterdam
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The hotel was quiet, clean, and on a nice street just two blocks to the tram. The breakfast was very nice. The staff were polite and friendly. We had a large window/door to the balcony that opened providing a cool breeze, No complaints.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I got a last-minute small room for one - which was no smaller than normal rooms at big-city standards! The location couldn't be more perfect: a quiet street between the museums and a high-end shopping street, two blocks from a tram stop, three blocks from the start of antiquities district. The staff was extremely nice and helpful: when I phoned about leaving my luggage early (which was no issue at all), they also helped me find the transport ticket office. Later at the hotel, when my hairspray had leaked and stained a blouse, the kind young gentleman at the reception found me stain remover, translated the instructions to me and then tumble-dried my blouse after I had rinsed it! Ordering a taxi and phoning me when it came was also done with no fuss. Everyone was friendly, including the cleaning staff that I ran into, and the hotel was safe: I forgot to lock my room when I left for the evening, but nothing happened!

The room was clean and neat, the shower roomy and good, the bed and pillows perfectly comfy (good, thick double pillows!). I had specified a double bed, but it was two singles put together - not a big thing, and since it was last minute I can't really complain, but of course a true double would be nicer for one person (so you could sleep in the middle of all that space). There was no noise at all from the street, but the water pipes made quite a bit of sound from other rooms (couldn't get back to sleep in the morning when it happened more than once). The one tiny thing that could make the room cosier would be a bit of art on the walls. And of course, normal keys instead of key cards means you must remember to lock the room on your own!

Wifi was available; I didn't have a computer with me, but I saw someone use their tablet at breakfast with no problem. There was a computer to use in the quiet little bar, but I wish it wasn't placed so the monitor's attached high in the wall where everyone can see it.

Breakfast was good, in a pretty breakfast room, with good service. All in all, my experience was well worth the money, and I will be happy to choose this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Of the six hotels I had to book for a month-long trip to Europe, I booked this one last, as Amsterdam was not one of my primary destinations but just a three-day interlude en route from one place to another. Since I was tired of examining hotels and since time was running out, I booked this one hastily, relying on the reviews. Hence I was a little apprehensive. As others say, the location is great. It's very close to a tram/bus stop and so was very easy to get to from the train station by tram and, better still, easier to go from by bus to the airport. Very convenient. As others have noted it's also very close to two major museums (a three-minute walk) and the virtue of this is that it's very easy to be first in line at those museums, notorious for long lines throughout the day. It's also near some good cafes and a very good bakery, and parallel/adjacent to one of the nicer high-end shopping streets. As I was traveling alone I asked for a single room and while it was small, as I expected, it actually had a door that opened onto a nice garden and so didn't seem nearly as cramped as it might have. While the bathroom was small, the water pressure was the best I've had in five hotels so far (and I'm in a 5-star hotel at the moment). I miss that shower. Breakfast was good with a range of offerings. Although the hotel lobby smelled a little musty, and I panicked a little at this, all the other public areas and the room itself were fine. They just miss the mark with some of their design choices but I guess that gives the hotel its charm. The staff was very friendly and very well-informed. I did have hotel envy when I walked by the Waldorf and another luxury hotel, but hey were 5x the price easily.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Edgewater, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Our stay in the Alalders Hotel was about as advertised. It was very clean, relatively quiet and the people manning the front desk were friendly and helpful. The room was small and had virtually no storage. BUT --- it was a block away from the Van Gogh Museum, two blocks from the Rijksmuseum and 2 block from the big park. It was also a block from the trolley to town and from the bus stop to the airport. Only one surprise: we were told parking was conveniently available on the street. This is true, but it cost several dollars per hour, so my friends, who came by car, parked about a half hour away!

2 Thank Jesse F
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was a place we just picked out of other reviews. Glad we did. Small but very friendly and close to the Rijksmuseum. Everyone was very nice and helpful, I wish we could have spent more than 3 days in Amsterdam. It's a wonderful city and the people are great. We were there during the beginning of the World Cup in Brazil and the whole town was alive and vibrant. The hotel was clean and the staff were all so nice. Everyone we met spoke excellent English (probably better than many Americans) so language was no problem. Food selections ran the gamut from fish to burgers and everything in between. If you are going to Amsterdam this is the place to stay.