“Be Aware!”
Review of Hotel Sander

Hotel Sander
Ranked #290 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 2, 2011

On arrival we were asked to hand over money as a 'security deposit' - no mention was made of this at time of booking. When we questioned this the hotel staff pointed at a note that had been sticky taped to the desk. Offered no choice we had pay. The money was returned on check out, credit card details kept for a week. Accomodation was basic and fine BUT this is a VERY badly sound-proofed hotel. Other guests were not particularly noisy but every conversation in the next room could be heard-every door that was opened and closed-every footstep on the stairs-earplugs had to be purchased. Will not be returning to the Hotel Sander.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2010

We booked this hotel well in advance, we were horrified at our room which was down in the basement underneath the bar and reception, we had no sleep, and it was dark and dingy.
the staff were helpfull and friendly, apart for the lady who checked us in, she was miserable and not at all friendly, overall it was ok for a short break.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Judging from recent reviews, the place is going downhill fast! My review is based on my July 2009 stay. And unless you have the $ to stay at an American chain hotel, come to AMS prepared that room/amenity standards are quite different than in the U.S. Pros: Tree-lined street in mainly residential neighborhood, close to Museum Square, Concertgebouw, public tram to take you everywhere, a public express bus to Schipol Airport (a lot faster than taking the train), good breakfast, close to excellent Albert Heijn food store, free wireless in lobby/restaurant area. Cons: perfunctory staff (then again I generally found that in any AMS service personnel over the age of 30); no air conditioning; room comfort varies (my 1st room was decent-sized, a double bed in the basement below the dining area with a pleasant view of backyard, quiet and COOL. But one night I stayed in the TINY top floor front room--so hot I couldn't sleep and you could hear traffic noice from a nearby busy street). The stairs are EXTREMELY narrow and no one told me there was an elevator! GEEZ! I did my homework before going to AMS. But I must believe now there's a better place for the $.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I would like to write about my stay in the Sander Hotel in Amsterdam. You should avoid this hotel as much as you can. That was my second time in Sander’s but the owner must be changed. My first visit was four years ago and the warm and kind reception that I found there last time has completely gone as well as the cleanliness of the rooms. The breakfast was served without any politeness the waitresses of the coffee suggested that we should take breakfast in two separated tables because she was not in the mood to clean up a table which fit for three. At that time it was a terrible experience!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank giu12
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel is located in the museum quarter which is a very good starting point to explore Amsterdam.

However the room we had was tiny and not very tidy. The recepionist changed almost every day and the service personal were not very helpful nor very friendly. The booking system was chaotic. In my room the TV was broken and even after mentioning this to the service personal they did not fix it.

Breakfast was served from 8am which is useless for business travelers and even after mentioning it the day before that we would need breakfast earlier it depened only on the person in charge of the day whether one actually would get the breakfast at the suggested time eg 7.30 or not.

In summary great location, bad service. Rather a motel and not a hotel...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2010

For a bed & breakfeast it woul do, first and last time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2010

On arrival (after my delayed flight) I was welcomed by the stench of alcohol coming from the man at the reception (who might I also add had his flies undone! - Don't know what he was doing before we arrived!)
The room was relatively clean but stuffy, not bad size, however none of the furniture matched - if you care about these things. (Rubbsih iron board). Only one plug, which was behind the TV so a bit difficult to reach. Hangers not matching.
No sparkling water, no chilled soft drink. Noisy banging doors.
Breakfast was pre chosen with very little choice, scary waitress, if you wanted more fruit you had to pay.
Other than that everything was great.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business