“Priceline 3 star city center bid will get you THIS! Go outside the center for a better deal and easy tram access!”
Review of Hotel Sander

Hotel Sander
Ranked #278 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2011

In the states, a 3 star bid in almost any city gets you a decent, clean (hamton inn, etc) hotel. Not in AMS, so you have to get a b&b or bid for 4-5 star place.

We had a basement room, which was so gross... mirror falling off wall, bad carpet, TINY bathroom, tile broken, mold, etc. I felt gross in there.

PROS:
-near museaums ("I amsterdam" sigh) and tram.
-safe neighborhood, beautiful trees, apartments, etc. great ambiance.

CONS:
-20 minute walk to anything besides museums
-horrible service (made us check out at 11 even though priceline said 12)
-7 EURO "departure hotel tax" on top of the priceline payment
-bad internet
-YOU CAN HEAR EVERY WOrD OF YOUR NEIGHBORS, so if they come in at 2 am, you hear it....

If you expand your bit to "city center south" you will be in another, slightly farther residential area and just 5-10 min away from the city. After we left the hell hole that was the Sander, we got a 5 star for $175 just a 5 minute tram ride away from Sander and could have gotten 3-4 star for much cheaper.

Pay for the unlimited tram card (an above ground train for easy access to eveything) for 7Euro/day and you can go all over the city SO easily.

BOTTOM LINE- THIS HOTEL SUX!!!!!!!! I'm a flight attendant and have stayed at some pretty bad places, but this one was one of the worst.

Room Tip: Priceline-Bid for a 4 star in AMS or SOUTH of city
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AmericanGirl27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Unpleasant staff who placed us in a dingy basement room on Day 1 then moved us (a married couple) to two single rooms on separate floors Day 2 - the single rooms were tiny, dingy, scruffy with no tea/coffee facilities, no iron, no basic hairdryer, the tiny tele hardly worked, had to practically crawl up the steep stairs to our rooms, even the room door didn't open or lock properly ! Our Story - The Guesthouse we'd first booked into had lost our reservation upon arrival in Amsterdam so the guesthouse owner found us our alternative, The Hotel Sander, during a busy Easter weekend, the Hotel Sander gloated about "Quadrupling" their room rates because (a) it was Easter, (b) we were desperate for a room or we'd be flying home again ! yes I'm aware many hotels enjoy doing this to their guests but I've never seen a hotel look so pleased about it right to your face which destroyed my otherwise high opinion of the Dutch and would have totally ruined a romantic weekend except we are better than that and still managed to have a good time away from our hotel experience(s). I would not return to the Hotel Sander if they offered me a free weekend - I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy ... be afraid be very afraid !!! ps. 460 Euros was charged for 2 nights in below average rooms - everything about this hotel is completely shameful !

Room Tip: A tip would be avoid avoid avoid !!!
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacki66

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2011

On arrival we were asked to hand over money as a 'security deposit' - no mention was made of this at time of booking. When we questioned this the hotel staff pointed at a note that had been sticky taped to the desk. Offered no choice we had pay. The money was returned on check out, credit card details kept for a week. Accomodation was basic and fine BUT this is a VERY badly sound-proofed hotel. Other guests were not particularly noisy but every conversation in the next room could be heard-every door that was opened and closed-every footstep on the stairs-earplugs had to be purchased. Will not be returning to the Hotel Sander.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We booked this hotel well in advance, we were horrified at our room which was down in the basement underneath the bar and reception, we had no sleep, and it was dark and dingy.
the staff were helpfull and friendly, apart for the lady who checked us in, she was miserable and not at all friendly, overall it was ok for a short break.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Judging from recent reviews, the place is going downhill fast! My review is based on my July 2009 stay. And unless you have the $ to stay at an American chain hotel, come to AMS prepared that room/amenity standards are quite different than in the U.S. Pros: Tree-lined street in mainly residential neighborhood, close to Museum Square, Concertgebouw, public tram to take you everywhere, a public express bus to Schipol Airport (a lot faster than taking the train), good breakfast, close to excellent Albert Heijn food store, free wireless in lobby/restaurant area. Cons: perfunctory staff (then again I generally found that in any AMS service personnel over the age of 30); no air conditioning; room comfort varies (my 1st room was decent-sized, a double bed in the basement below the dining area with a pleasant view of backyard, quiet and COOL. But one night I stayed in the TINY top floor front room--so hot I couldn't sleep and you could hear traffic noice from a nearby busy street). The stairs are EXTREMELY narrow and no one told me there was an elevator! GEEZ! I did my homework before going to AMS. But I must believe now there's a better place for the $.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I would like to write about my stay in the Sander Hotel in Amsterdam. You should avoid this hotel as much as you can. That was my second time in Sander’s but the owner must be changed. My first visit was four years ago and the warm and kind reception that I found there last time has completely gone as well as the cleanliness of the rooms. The breakfast was served without any politeness the waitresses of the coffee suggested that we should take breakfast in two separated tables because she was not in the mood to clean up a table which fit for three. At that time it was a terrible experience!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank giu12
bs
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel is located in the museum quarter which is a very good starting point to explore Amsterdam.

However the room we had was tiny and not very tidy. The recepionist changed almost every day and the service personal were not very helpful nor very friendly. The booking system was chaotic. In my room the TV was broken and even after mentioning this to the service personal they did not fix it.

Breakfast was served from 8am which is useless for business travelers and even after mentioning it the day before that we would need breakfast earlier it depened only on the person in charge of the day whether one actually would get the breakfast at the suggested time eg 7.30 or not.

In summary great location, bad service. Rather a motel and not a hotel...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business