“Good for a basic hotel”
Review of Euphemia Hotel

Euphemia Hotel
Ranked #264 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 18, 2014

A good basic hotel that has a tram stop right out the front. Stayed in a double room which was dated but comfortable and clean. Staff were very nice and helpful. Stairs to get to the rooms were very steep and would be a worry/hard for some. Wifi was poor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maggers2014
There are newer reviews for Euphemia Hotel

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Good point: well located, close to the Heineken factory, Amsterdam is not so big, so you can walk everywhere.
But my room was terrible, small, there was a wall above my bad very dangerous. The room smelled old and not clean.
Definatelly not worth the money.

Room Tip: Choose one with the bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mariana P
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I'd happily recommend this hotel - I stayed here for a few days in a double room with bathroom en-suite.

It's a basic hotel - but good value. The staff were very welcoming, the room and bathroom were clean and warm and there was endless hot water.

Only downside that the WiFi reception in my room was patchy - but no big deal.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hostel is quite nice. Located in a good area of town, within walking distance to most things. The beds are comfortable, our sheets/towels were clean (towels for 1 euro), and the desk staff was helpful. I would return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was a clean hostel with friendly, helpful staff. The location is really good - we managed to get everywhere we wanted to go in Amsterdam on foot without paying for expensive public transport. There is only 1 shower and 2 bathrooms on each floor, but this didn't seem to be a problem when we were there -- the hostel was nice and quiet. We stayed in a 5 bed dorm, which had a very convenient sink in it! Not sure if this would be the best place to meet other people, but if you're travelling in a group and aren't there to socialise, a very decent option. However, I'm sure the hostel would be busier in peak tourist times.

The biggest issue with this hostel is the stairs -- our room was up 2 flights of very narrow, steep stairs. Luckily we only had small bags, but if you're bringing a suitcase I'd recommend checking whether you can get a room on the ground floor, or looking somewhere else. Dragging a suitcase up those stairs would not be an enviable task.

Tip: check out all of the little cards located in a rack next to the staircase. It has deals for popular tourist attractions around Amsterdam, e.g. €2 off admission at a museum, a free postcard at this attraction, etc. If you're planning on going to some of these places anyway, it's definitely worth seeing if there's a deal on offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sally E
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hostel is pretty inexpensive and in a great part of town. Easily a great place to discover the city by foot from. The dorms were fine. There are only two bathrooms and one shower on each floor, which is fine so long as you don't need to shower in a hurry. There is a very small common area off the lobby but it closes at night and it is difficult to meet fellow travelers at those place. Not a bad choice if you are just looking for a bed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank aylaread
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I thought this hotel/hostel was quite good, I'm not sure of the other experiences here, I think they're a little harsh. We paid for a 6 bed dorm, but got upgraded to a 5, and half the time it was only us in there anyway, so it was pretty much private. Everything was clean and well organised, and the location is great, we walked everywhere, no need for bikes or trams.

The one shower and two bathrooms per floor was not an issue as they seemed to be empty all the time anyway, I think it must be a bit quiet on the tourist front after school holidays, approaching October.

No bedbugs for us, so I'm not sure if that's true or not.. My only issue is that my spring mattress was really squeaky, so I'd wake the room up everytime I rolled over at night. Everyone elses mattresses seemed ok.

Overall we felt like we got value for money, and would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple