“Quiet hotel in a nice location, good value for mone” 4 of 5 stars

Maas Hotel
Maas Hotel
Ranked #278 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Rosendale, NY
“Quiet hotel in a nice location, good value for mone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I was shocked to see all the negative reviews so I had to add mine.

I travelled to Hotel Maas for Koninginnedag. I had never been to Amsterdam before. The staff helped me plan my trip, advised me on places to go, and even exchanged my dollars for Euros at a favorable rate, which was better than the VVV.

The room I had was in the bottom toward the back courtyard. It had a waterbed, which I was not used to, but it was very comfortable. The bathroom was one of the larger ones I have seen in a hotel. The room was nearly dead quiet. I wanted to hear one of those European police sirens and back there I never did.

Continental breakfast was delicious and the staff were very friendly. When I first arrived I was too early but they held my baggage safely for me while I wandered around until check-in time.

The last night I spent in a room with a canal view. It was still quite quiet there, being just around the corner from Leidseplein. I thought the location was ideal - close to a tram route, not on a busy street, and closed to many fine restaurants. It was also very close to vondelpark, and the Rijksmuseum (a short walk).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

This place is not as advertised on the net. It is very dark and cramped. However, the location is very good for the price. Right around the corner from the Sqaure and Leidseplein. It's very convenient in that way, you are so close to many things. Also the front desk guy was pretty nice and gave us some good advice as to where to go.
If you are just planning on using your room as a simple base that will only be used for sleep this place does the trick. We had a canal view room that was pretty basic but gave a good view of the street below. It was not too loud at night, even with all the action around the corner. Also, our room was clean but I did not feel that the rest of the hotel (the stairs front halls etc) was taken care of).
You must know what you are getting into with this hotel. I really would only recommend it for young people/students who need cheaper accomodations but don't want to hostel.

• Liked — the location and the canal view.
  • Disliked — the steep stairs and cramped feeling.
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
3 Thank nickib983
Waterford, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

Horrible hotel.... stayed here about 4 years ago...wish i had known about this website then so i would have been warned off...paid abbut 100euro a night (stupidly!!)

the room was like a prison cell...it was tiny and there was a tiny window looking out onto a wall...I wasnt expecting luxury but the room was supposed to have a jacuzi in the bathroom....there was no room to even turn around in the bathroom..actually the bathroom was so small the door for it slid across and didnt swing open because there simply wouldnt have been room for it to do that!!

the location was good...but it doesnt make up for it! we were also charged for something from the minibar even though i told the receptionist that we didnt drink anything and he lied and said they wouldnt charge us!

love amsterdam though!!

• Liked — cant think of anything!!!!!
  • Disliked — everything!!
  • Stayed April 2003, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shell H

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

We booked this hotel on the basis of the pictures & description which we saw on the web and the fact that it was offered through Easy Book. Needless to say we got an awful shock when we actually arrived. There was graffiti on the exterior walls. The staff were rude. The interior of the hotel smelt damp and musty. The rooms were tiny and the bathrooms were filthy. The morning we were due to leave we got verbally abused by the cleaning staff (one guy) who was shouting at us and telling us to get out of room. Never ever ever again would I even consider staying in this kip of a place. It should be removed from all web sites offering hotel deals in Amsterdam. I could not believe that it was rated three stars. It's not even worth one. Again on checking out, we were charged an exorbitant rate of tax 13% where i think the usual is 5%, and of course had no other option but to pay it as otherwise it would have been charged to our credit card. I would advise in the strongest possible terms to anyone considering this place - DONT

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT GO THERE
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled with friends
3 Thank AnnetteS
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2006

This hotel was a damp, dirty, smelly hovel. We explored other hotels but decided to pay extra and stay at Hotel Maas because it offered us a "canal view" room. It looked clean, tidy and well located on-line.

The bathroom smelt awful and was covered in mould. The curtains were stained brown from smoke and the cheap laminate flooring looked like it had not been washed for weeks.

Service was poor and on check out they added exhorbitant taxes and then wanted to charge us an extra €45 to pay by credit card.

Avoid it!

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2005

Dont stay here. This hotel is terrible. They would bang on my door at 8:45 am to clean my room and if we were not awake, no service, towels, etc. At the breakfast, a staff member pulled a plate from in front of a guest who was trying to get a piece of bread at exactly 9 am because breakfast was over at 9am. He literally took it from in front of the guest. Then he stared at everyone until they finished eating. Terrible.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

Huge stairs, 3 of us staying in 4 bed room, cramped and pretty uncomfortable. There was a metal grate on the window - below street level, everyone can see in, we called it 'the dungeon'. Cute guys working on front desk most of time - only bonus. Wasnt as cheap as i thought it was going to be. My advice, splash out and go for the Americano Hotel next door!

• Stayed September 2005