“Dont stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Maas Hotel
Ranked #273 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Dont stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2005

Dont stay here. This hotel is terrible. They would bang on my door at 8:45 am to clean my room and if we were not awake, no service, towels, etc. At the breakfast, a staff member pulled a plate from in front of a guest who was trying to get a piece of bread at exactly 9 am because breakfast was over at 9am. He literally took it from in front of the guest. Then he stared at everyone until they finished eating. Terrible.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

Huge stairs, 3 of us staying in 4 bed room, cramped and pretty uncomfortable. There was a metal grate on the window - below street level, everyone can see in, we called it 'the dungeon'. Cute guys working on front desk most of time - only bonus. Wasnt as cheap as i thought it was going to be. My advice, splash out and go for the Americano Hotel next door!

2 Thank Suzzles20

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

I booked this room 6 weeks in advance and requested a room with a canal view. This was not the first hotel that I had contacted; not many hotels in Amsterdam will let you book a single night, oddly. Our room was an interior room, and the man at the desk said the rooms with views were booked. I told him that was too bad! We could literally touch all 4 walls from the bed, and the walls were very thin. The bathroom was the width of the toilet, and no more. We are thin people and had to maneuver around the curve of the sink bowl in order to sit on the toilet. Bending over the sink caused my rear end to hang out of the bathroom. It was very small. The good part is that the room was clean and was located close to the museums, and was on a quiet street with a canal. And the staff was very polite. I paid about $250 USD, though. A week later I stayed at the Victoria, right across from Centraal Station and paid only about $200 USD for a VERY nice hotel!

1 Thank Mollita
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2005

I booked the canal view room with waterbed and jacuzzi as a surprise 40th birthday present for my husband. After receiving the booking confirmation from Bookings, I e-mailed the hotel direct to advise them that I had specifically made this booking for these features, particularly the waterbed as I wanted to make his 40th special.

Three days later (and only 3 days before we were due to arrive), I had still not received any confirmation from the hotel so I e-mailed them again then rang them direct (from the UK), only to be told that no such room was available as 'no booking had been received'. I advised them that I had the booking confirmation in front of me, and asked why they had not contacted me 3 days earlier on receipt of my original e-mail, and what would have happened had we just arrived? They merely said that they 'would have found us something, HOPEFULLY'!

After contacting Bookings, they were extremely annoyed with the hotel as they had STILL not received notice that the rooms they were still advertising were unavailable. The hotel then rang me back and offered a room at the rear of the hotel (NO canal view), NO water bed and NO jacuzzi although we could have a free breakfast,as though this was some sort of compensation! Needless to say, I immediately cancelled and frantically made alternative arrangements.

SO BEWARE!!! Do not assume that a confirmation booking will actually get you a room at all, let alone the one you've booked!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
macclesfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Our stay at the hotel proved to be worthwhile and I would definetly reccomend returning in the near future. The hotel itself is in a prime location with lots of bars, coffee shops and restaurants with bags of entertainment to enjoy!
The hotel is in a central part of the city which you would expect to have alot of noise, however no noise could be heard from our room at all. The rooms were of a reasonable size, complete with comfortable beds and a decent sized wardrobe and drawers. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and modern with a sink, toilet and power shower with an inbuilt radio! There were however the downsides to the hotel in the fact that there was no safe( which was stated in the summary of room) and the mini fridge didn't work. Also if you want breakfast you have to either pay extra on top of the price for your room or eat out. The hotel also charges you 10 euros tax on top of your room cost (which isn't stated in the summary). The hotel has very, very steep stairs leading upto the reception area from the main road and isn't ideal for older people, (there is however, a lift upto hotel rooms)
We went to see a local comedy show around the corner from the hotel in the square called 'Boom Chicago', which is based on American humor and improvised sketches which involves the audience throughout the show;a must see!
The hotel itself stands on one of the many canals overlooking the canal bike hire, which again is another worthwhile activity to partake in.
Other fun and exciting activities to do nearby are: Vondelpark (a short walk from the hotel), Heineken Experience, Flower market and the candlelit canal boat cruise.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank bexMacclesfield
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2005

I stayed at Hotel Maas during the long August 15 week-end. Despite all very attractive comments posted on the Hotel website, my wife and I were very disappointed. We'd chosen a double room with canal view. The cleaning of the room and the bathroom was very poor, plus lots of broken furnitures in the bath room. The room was very noisy and we had the impression to sleep with our neighbours....Very liitle room for the price.
I don't recommend this hotel but rather the American Hotel just next door.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank stef85350
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2005

I spent three nights in the HEM Hotel Maas in early April with my family (including one teen and one pre-teen) so we had a room for four. The hotel is in a great location, close to museums, canal boat rides, and the Leidseplein district, with hundreds of restaurants and lots of activity and colour. The hotel has very steep stairs up to reception and then more steep stairs either up or down to the rooms (there is a lift). Ok for kids but not too good if the knees are a bit creaky. We were given a room with four single beds, all of which were very narrow and not very comfortable. The room really isn't big enough for so many people, though we did have a window to the outside world (no view just a brick wall but at least there was daylight). At over €500 for the three nights, the hotel was expensive for such a basic room, then there was a community tax of €11 per night (not mentioned in the booking) and if you drive a car you will need to pay €27 per day to use a parking station nearby. The bathroom was clean and modern. The staff were very firendly and helpful. If the room was more like €135 per night for four people, it would be pretty good value, given its location.

• Stayed April 2005