“Inexpensive Hotel on a canal...”
Review of Maas Hotel

Maas Hotel
Maas Hotel
Ranked #278 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Nice hotel with a great staff and good location.. Right on a canal, clean and free breakfast. .Small rooms but I am not in my room a lot on a vacation in Europe... Walking distance to the museums and great places to eat...Great location....

Room Tip: A view of the canal is the best..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 42,142,013

Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you want a small boutique hotel, with a traditional Dutch ambiance and excellent personalized service, this is your place. Ask for rooms with a window view of one of the canals; you'll enjoy their typical Europena breakfast. One block away from the famed Leidsplein, walking distance to cenntral Amesterdam, Rembrantsplein and a trolly ride away from the Van Gogh and rembrant museums. It is not a business hotel; its for personal holidays; I have been staying thier since the 1990's and it continues being my favorite.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

if you don't want to spend your entire stay 'in the room' this hotel is small but very charming. also great location on the canal. i've stayed twice and felt like family. the breakfast is included and delicious. can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank leevanwart
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I was shocked to see all the negative reviews so I had to add mine.

I travelled to Hotel Maas for Koninginnedag. I had never been to Amsterdam before. The staff helped me plan my trip, advised me on places to go, and even exchanged my dollars for Euros at a favorable rate, which was better than the VVV.

The room I had was in the bottom toward the back courtyard. It had a waterbed, which I was not used to, but it was very comfortable. The bathroom was one of the larger ones I have seen in a hotel. The room was nearly dead quiet. I wanted to hear one of those European police sirens and back there I never did.

Continental breakfast was delicious and the staff were very friendly. When I first arrived I was too early but they held my baggage safely for me while I wandered around until check-in time.

The last night I spent in a room with a canal view. It was still quite quiet there, being just around the corner from Leidseplein. I thought the location was ideal - close to a tram route, not on a busy street, and closed to many fine restaurants. It was also very close to vondelpark, and the Rijksmuseum (a short walk).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rosendalerocks
Reviewed April 26, 2008

This place is not as advertised on the net. It is very dark and cramped. However, the location is very good for the price. Right around the corner from the Sqaure and Leidseplein. It's very convenient in that way, you are so close to many things. Also the front desk guy was pretty nice and gave us some good advice as to where to go.
If you are just planning on using your room as a simple base that will only be used for sleep this place does the trick. We had a canal view room that was pretty basic but gave a good view of the street below. It was not too loud at night, even with all the action around the corner. Also, our room was clean but I did not feel that the rest of the hotel (the stairs front halls etc) was taken care of).
You must know what you are getting into with this hotel. I really would only recommend it for young people/students who need cheaper accomodations but don't want to hostel.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nickib983
Reviewed June 8, 2007

Horrible hotel.... stayed here about 4 years ago...wish i had known about this website then so i would have been warned off...paid abbut 100euro a night (stupidly!!)

the room was like a prison cell...it was tiny and there was a tiny window looking out onto a wall...I wasnt expecting luxury but the room was supposed to have a jacuzi in the bathroom....there was no room to even turn around in the bathroom..actually the bathroom was so small the door for it slid across and didnt swing open because there simply wouldnt have been room for it to do that!!

the location was good...but it doesnt make up for it! we were also charged for something from the minibar even though i told the receptionist that we didnt drink anything and he lied and said they wouldnt charge us!

love amsterdam though!!

• Stayed: April 2003, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shell H
Reviewed August 1, 2006

We booked this hotel on the basis of the pictures & description which we saw on the web and the fact that it was offered through Easy Book. Needless to say we got an awful shock when we actually arrived. There was graffiti on the exterior walls. The staff were rude. The interior of the hotel smelt damp and musty. The rooms were tiny and the bathrooms were filthy. The morning we were due to leave we got verbally abused by the cleaning staff (one guy) who was shouting at us and telling us to get out of room. Never ever ever again would I even consider staying in this kip of a place. It should be removed from all web sites offering hotel deals in Amsterdam. I could not believe that it was rated three stars. It's not even worth one. Again on checking out, we were charged an exorbitant rate of tax 13% where i think the usual is 5%, and of course had no other option but to pay it as otherwise it would have been charged to our credit card. I would advise in the strongest possible terms to anyone considering this place - DONT

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled with friends