“unbelivable”

Ranked #340 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“unbelivable”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

i actually live in amsterdam and i stayed at hostel leidseplein for a week while i was "between" houses. I have to say that the service there was above my expectations. For that money i wasnt expacting much, but I got alot. The rooms are super clean, as is the entire hostel, i think it was freshly renovated. at the reception they have this giant lobby with desks where i could work from. the breakfast is basic, only pindakas and strawberry jam with bread, but its free, just like coffee and tee. the staff is super welcoming and friendly, had lots of fun with them.
to sum it all up, this hostel is perfect for my needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I liked it very much, the breakfast was not that overwhelming - but you were free to bring your own stuff and store it in the refridgerator.
I slept there 5 nights in a 10 bed dorm - the people were nice and so was the staff.
On some nights you could hear the bass from the clubs around - but it was not too disturbing.
I loved that I could walk almost to everything from that place and just enjoy my stay in Amsterdam

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay in Amsterdam and this hostel was perfect for my needs. Somewhere convenient to put my head down. The location was superb and there were no issues during my stay. Bed was in a dorm and the only downside with that was that there were building works across the street that woke me-but that's not the hostels fault

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank brendanq82
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Checked in with a group of friends and it was the most horrible stay ever. Prior to that i checked tripadvisor on this hostel but i thought as students on budget we would be okay with everything BUT it was the worst mistake ever staying here. I would list every single detail of the hostel so that others can be wary of what you can expect. When you arrive, you will first realize that the steps are so steep and narrow and carrying a big heavy luggage is gonna be a problem, especially for the ladies. The reception is at the first floor and the manager was barely friendly. Explained the rules and one stupid rule was you cannot eat or drink in your room. They will give you your key only after you pay a 10 euro deposit for each key. Struggled through the stairs with our luggage all the way to the third floor and went in our rooms. This is where we realized that our stay was gonna get from bad to worse. They do not clean the sheets after the last group checks out and i assume they only clean the room once a week. It meant that we were to sleep on dirty, smelly sheets and pillow cases left from the group before. Btw, the pillows and mattress aren't fit for maximum security prison. Backache after a day sleeping on them. Some of my friends suspect there were bed bugs on their beds. Moving on the horrible toilet. There's pubic hair all over the toilet obviously from the group before. Toilet paper was always wet and dampy as toilet has no ventilation at all. The showers were extremely bad as sudden burst of hot water will give you first degree burns (I SWEAR IT DOES) especially if you're drunk or under any influence and it takes a few seconds longer to realize it. The shower area has drainage but other parts do not so the entire stay, 2/3 our toilet was flooded with 3cm high of water at any time of the day, even when we first arrived. It's just disgusting. They do not provide any soap, towels or whatsoever so you gotta buy your own. Being on Leidseplein, it will be extremely noisy with all the bars and entertainment shops so you will not get any quiet time to sleep. The music is so loud you can literally hear the lyrics and feel the beat to it when you close your eyes. It gets worse on fridays and the weekends. The entire stay, the hostel had a weird, strange dampy smell. Each time you want to enter the hostel you gotta ring the bell and the manager will take his own sweet time to open it. The included breakfast was crap as they only served coffee, tea, bread and some chocolate spread everyday. Wifi was terrible as you could not get connection in the rooms, you can only eat in the common area which consisted of three tables and some chairs.
The manager comes in the room without knocking at 7am in the morning, on and off the lights and leave without saying anything and thinks it is normal.
I confirmed my doubts on them not cleaning the rooms when my friends left for an earlier flight and as i was leaving the room a few hours later, voila a group checked into our dirty room with our dirty sheets and all.
For close to 600 euros for 4 nights it was not worth the price at all. The place is completely revolting and i would NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE to stay here, even if you're forced to. Book somewhere else! Hope it helps.
Cheers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Yunloong C

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed February 8, 2014

What a horrible place! Besides the fact that i found left over febo trays strewn over my bunk when entering the room, I then woke the next morning with lovly patterns gnawed into my legs but what ever bugs inhabit those prison quality mattresses. A trip to use the bathroom was a aquatic excursion worth of world recognition. I'm well glad that I had my snorkel handy because the swim in and out after someone uses the shower is a daunting one. The staff are relatively friendly unless you ask them to refill the coffee or for more stale bread to start of the perfect day after a more than uncomfortable night. To top it all off I watched as three other guests were treated as criminals and were told by the manager that they were trying to commit insurance fraud when they were trying to report their laptop that was stolen out of the so called "safe storage " of the hostel. I cut my booking short and got out as soon as I could. Dont put yourself through this. Rather find a hostel that will make your stay memorable in a good way. Totally repulsed

• Stayed February 2014
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

My laptop was stolen and then they denied me giving it to them to lock in the "safe" the CCTV cameras suddenly don't work. The rooms stink of sweat, the beds are filthy, they are racist and rude, the bathrooms are terrible. THE WORST HOSTEL SERIOUSLY!!!
It doesn't even deserve one star rating but in order to submit this report I had to rate it.
If you value ANY of your possessions DONT STAY HERE!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nicatas D
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was in another hostel where i was treated as a number, so by booking i found this other one and... I love it!
Nice staff, very friendly and helpfully people.
Nice environement in general, the bathroom is inside the room so another people can't use it.
Everyone have the key of their own room, so is much more secure for your own stuff.
Location is great, just in the middle of the downtown, zone full of bars, clubs and restaurantes.
I meet lovely people there.

Without doubts, i'll come back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends