“Expensive Hostel and very unreliable!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

Leidseplein Hostel
Ranked #340 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tuscania, Italy
“Expensive Hostel and very unreliable!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hostel was really expensive (I paid less for a really nice hostel in London for 5 days versus 3 days there) and filthy! I took a shower and felt dirtier after the shower rather than before. It is super difficult to find the place, and there were no ladders for the bunk beds. Worst of all, I left a bag there by accident, and they lost it! It took them a week to email me back after I emailed them twice. I would definitely NOT recommend this place. The only good thing about is was that it was near the center of Amsterdam (it was within walking distance) and there were a lot of places to go in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Bamberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

They totally ripped me off. We we 5 people in a 4-bedroom and everybody paid different prices. I paid more than 74 Euros per night!
What I got for my money:
- simple bread for breakfast without a toaster
- a stinky, hot room (and it was already October) where you couldn´t open the windows
- no ladder for the bunkbeds
- no wardrobe or locker
-dirty bathroom
When my flatemates left, 5 minutes later new people come in- the staff never changed the covers or sheets.. I don´t wanna know how many people use the same dirty covers night by night...
I really recommend the hostel for people who just wanna get stoned and wasted, who don´t care about noise coming from the outside all nigth long and don´t care about dirt and smell. But then maybe you could spend your money for sth cheaper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Rooms were unclean, bathroom was simply appalling. Shower & toilet in same room for 10 people which was filthy and had several inches of standing water at all times. "Breakfast" was a joke with jam, peanut butter and bread. The ´fully equipped´kitchen was a lie. No ovens, stoves, or even a working toaster. The hostel never responded to my email enquiring about a lost item & there were not lockers available (you had to pay 3euros to store your stuff in an unsecure room). The staff were not overly friendly and didn´t help travellers with their stay. Bottom line: it may be the cheapest (even though still appalling expensive), but go somewhere else. Its not worth the few euros you´ll save.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annie G
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First of all, Hostel Leidseplein is the worst hostel in the world, any other dump in the Red light district would have been better.the place is almost impossible to find. With only one small sign above the door. It's located above a nightclub ( which makes it impossible to sleep until 6 a.m.) as soon as you come in you get a really bad feeling, everything is ugly and old and the place smells veeeery bad. The staff is very rude and ignorant and they charge waaaay to much for the very poor service you get for it. The rooms are old and ugly as well. The bathroom is old, the shower hardly works and the drain is so bad that the bathroom is always very wet and dirty with hairs everywher. The breakfast includes some mouldy bread with jam or peanut butter... Not even worth waking up for. The staff thinks it normal to come in your room at 7 am without knocking on the door.. One night a guy peed on the floor in our room.. And not to forget the cat who's running around the room (it lives in the hostel and eats your food) one piece of advise DON'T GO THERE it's even worse than you can imagine.. never again

• Stayed August 2013
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Bed bugs, dirty, smelly.. staff rude! When we saw that the bed linen were dirty reeking of VOMIT odor we asked to change, they said they change only once a week. their motto should be: HYGIENE why right? eww!!!
We slept one night without the duvet covers because we didnt know what to do..and guess what? bed bug bites all over our bodies! and we even heard mice noises all night!
No way to sleep here!!

So in the next morning the rudest ever manager (not Dutch) said he would change us to their sister hostel..
OMG! was even worse! even the staff smelled bad! NIGHTMARE!!
So we asked a refund, We insisted we wanted our money back. but he wouldnt give..(the own manager)!! he ripped us off in 300 euros!! (it was 50 euros each per night)

And no, 50 euro/night in this filthy noisy place is NOT cheap, we've payed 42 euros the night in the STAYOK hostel Vondelpark, which is the freaking Hilton close to this dump..

The sanitary laws should close down this place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ouicestmoi123
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Okay, so we booked this as a group of 6 boys for a holiday. we arrived at the door which was poorly signed, and rang the doorbell, after waiting 5 minutes and the door being opened by a GUEST we went upstairs. When we arrived there was a bald man with glasses on the computer and he didn't even acknowledge us. We told him we had a booking and he told us to sit down. After waiting over half an hour we discussed looking around for a better alternative, to which the bald mans ears perked up and he came over and said we could check in ( after paying the £300+ fee). We asked him to view the rooms before paying and he insisted we paid first. We started to walk to the door and he ran infront of us and blocked the door. He said he would call the police, which we replied we were law students, he then tried calling his friends down to stop us leaving. He also took my friends EUIC. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elis R
England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First of all, this is a cheap hostel so I was not expecting much but I got even less. It's location is great and the rooms (I stayed in an 8 bed dorm) were fine although grimy. The problem with this hostel is the staff. I stayed for two nights ,on the second day a new person was moved into our room at the expense of someone who was still staying at the hostel. Expect to be juggled around for no reason if you are a single traveller.

This would have been fine and not affected me except the person who was moved into our dorm waited until everyone fell asleep before stealing my bag. This man checked in with no baggage, no clothing and simply lazed around the hostel all day eyeing up valuables. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd believe the staff know more about this than they are letting on. When I reported my bag stolen the advice of the staff was that "This has never happened before", "We cannot do anything", "The CCTV has not been working for a month" and "We cannot call the police you must go to the police station."

If you are considering this hostel be extra vigilant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends