“Awful Awful Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #336 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bristol
“Awful Awful Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place should be closed down - its 2013 and this is like a place out of the war. The service is horrendous. We paid £900 for 2nights in a 8man room - begged for a Fan and they laughed at us. Beds and pillows arent good enough for prisons. Forced us to pay cash as well - must be a tax dodge there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank roadsterBristol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed 2 nights solo in this hostel and it wasn't that bad. I was sceptical because of the reviews but my stay was pleasant.

The downsides:
- rooms are very hot and noisy (its in the city centre so bring earplugs)
- No lockers
- a bit dirty
- beds are quite short in length

The upsides:
- Location! Very close to everything
- Price - very cheap
- staff were fairly helpful
- the wifi in my room worked well (on level 1)

Because of the lack of lockers in the room i carried my valuables with me most of the time which was a little annoying but ok. This might be different if you're travelling in a group. Besides a bit of grime it was fine - you can't expect anything fantastic for this price and I enjoyed myself.
I would stay here again for sure if I was short on money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Liked: The location (many restaurants and easy to get around)

Disliked: This hostel is not what it appears to be, for you don't get what you pay for! To start off the staff are very average with assisting people. The only person who made an effort to great people was the manager. The "locker room" doesnt seem to be very safe, as it was left open. I recommend keeping your valuables with you! The common room isn't really a common room, making it harder to befriend people. The rooms them selfs are bearable, but the bunk beds have no hand rails or ladders. The bathroom is grotty and appears to be unhignic, the towels are 1.50 euro each. The wifi is ok but drops out now and then. The so called breakfast is just plain white bread with either peanut butter or jam with tea or coffee. I most defiantly would not recommend staying here, because I am certain you could find much much better in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Good location near restaurants parks and tram line to central station. Rude and unhelpful staff. Good wifi. Rooms not thourghly cleaned, window sills were disgusting inficates a general unclenlisness everywhere. Would never go near this place again. Rip off.

• Stayed July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel via expedia. After I read the review here I decided to cancel my booking with this hotel. The cancellation was made two weeks ahead of the cancellation policy but somehow this hotel still charged me for the first night of my booking. I have been calling expedia to resolve this issue for a week but each time expedia told me that they were not able to speak to the hotel manager who is in charge of all transactions. For almost a week now I have been calling expedia every day and each time they replied the same that the hotel manager would be available in the afternoon but when i called expedia in late afternoon they constantly told me they were unable to speak to the hotel manager. I have no idea what kind of hostel they are running...its day light robbery!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

See where the other reviews are coming from but it wasnt really that bad.
It did have a great location and i thought it was clean enough.
Dont bother with brekkie if you are afraid of bread mould and hope you get a room on the quiet side of hostel

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked this hostel as a back up plan in case my other plan fell through, which it did. As such, I hadn't done much research. When I arrived, I was greeted by the strong smell of marijuana floating through the whole place, but I accepted it - when in Amsterdam, I suppose. The carpet was torn and grungy, and the whole place looked like it hadn't been fixed up in about 10 years. There was peeling and terrible wallpaper everywhere. For some reason, there were famous American places in every room, including in our room, in which the Grand Canyon (which is in Arizona) had a huge "Colorado" sign under it.

It was generally quite dirty and smelly, and the bed sheets and duvet looked extremely dubious. The bathroom was terrible, and the water spilled out of the shower, despite our best efforts, into the toilet area, where it was impossible to get rid of.

I experienced the rudest and dumbest fellow 'room mates' out of all those I have met during my travels. Yes, it's a hostel so I didn't expect much, but shouting and turning lights on at 4am is just unnecessary regardless. The staff seemed pretty unreliable and uncaring at the best of times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo