“Simple and Clean”

Hotel Prins Hendrik
Ranked #216 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 12, 2009

The Hotel is a Clean and simple hotel, We stayed in a triple room and it was large no lack of space for 3 people with little luggage, the bathroom shower was big enough . The room was cleaned daily and lots of fresh towels left and sachets of shampoo etc, Tv is included and has enough channels Dont bother with the pay tv card its not worth it.

The Hotel is near perfectly located to the train station, cafes, red light district, dam square, shopping. Taxis are near 24hrs from outside the door

The faults - No set check in time so if your wrecked tired and need chances are its not ready its a good and bad thing cos theirs no real check out time either so you can sleep in

You only get one card for the door between three people which can be a problem when this card also works the electrics and you can't get another ?

The Stairs with I red about here the spiral stairs is a pain with anything bigger than a holdall

Its not really the hotels fault but I dunno how Double glazed windows can leave so much noise in from the street

The safe boxes while very safe where they are small

Wifi - Should be free

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank sightseer209
There are newer reviews for Hotel Prins Hendrik

Reviewed October 18, 2009

Charming, clean, hotel, large roms by any standard. Staff friendly and helpfull. A real taste of old Amsterdam. The breakfast has everything you need to start the day in this amazing city. When I come back I will stay here and would recomend this little hotel to everybody. Excellent value, so close to evertyhing my girlfriend felt safe and cared for.
Ann McCallum
Vancouver, BC

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank anninvan
Reviewed October 7, 2009

This hotel is just the best . 09 will mark my 4th pilgramage to the new city of enlightinment Amsterdam and my 4th stay at the prins hendrick. Nice clean rooms big bath and a shower that never runs out of hot water. And right in front of central station and right around the corner to some of Amsterdams finest and most spiritual coffieshops . Everything is located in this area ( Anne Frank house,Dam Square, old church, bulldog 1 and 2, ect,,,

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank simpleman59
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed here twice this trip to Amsterdam. First for 5 nights in a great room way up on the 4th floor. After 3 nights in Brussels we were back for 2 more nights in a nice room on the 3rd floor. At first glance I was skeptical, the lobby was a little old and a little tired. The elevator had a strong smell of floral disinfect. The room was plain, but great! Clean, as was the lobby, had a great view of Central Station, side walk cafes, and shops. The bath room was tiled floor to ceiling, with a nice big tub,and spotless!
It was located close to Central Station, which is good for catching the train and trams. There are lots of shops, resturants and coffee houses (if that is your desire) within a short walk.
The free breakfast was tasty and filling. And the bartender chatty and friendly.
The fellows who worked the front were friendly and helpful.
I would definitely stay here again. But fellow American, if you are wanting an American style hotel-it's not. But, if you look past the odd, it's a great place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WE11RN
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Frankly I am stunned that this place has received any positive reviews. If this is a three star hotel McDonalds is fine dining. Dirty run down undersized lobby is your introduction. Rooms are furnished like an old Hotel 6. First 2 rooms we were given reeked of sewer gas. Third was a smoking room. Finally got a normal smelling room on 4th and last attempt after threatening to walk. Desk friendly but tried to sell us canal cruise with obvious conflict of interest. Had a quad and room size was good but far from comfortable. Beds and pillows were GARBAGE. Furniture and carpet old and run down. Bathroom needed renovation long ago. Paid 180 euros for a night and felt ripped off. NO WAY is this a three star hotel. Paid the same rate for The Vermeer Inn in Delft the night before (fabulous) and difference was night and day. Overall I felt like I had been fleeced. Unless you are used to staying in Hotel 6 you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pintodoug
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I've now stayed at this hotel twice so I thought I should write a review. The first time I stayed with a group of friends, we had a quad room. The rooms are a little old fashioned, but so is the building, personally I think that adds to the charm of the place. There was a TV but no tea/coffee facilities (no big deal for me). The beds are very comfortable and clean, if a little smaller than what I'm used to. The bath/shower room was very clean, although it didn't have a window and there is a little step that leads into the bathroom which you need to keep your eye out for to avoid stubbing your toes! The towels were replaced daily and the room was serviced daily. We didn't get around to having breakfast so I can't comment there!

As for the location, it's just perfect. Walk straight out of Centraal Station, cross the road, head towards the church (to your left) and you're there in less than 5 mins. There is a perfect little cafe next door and a corner shop diagonally opposite which is open quite late. If you're there for the coffeeshops, you just turn right out of the hotel, take the road on your immediate right and you're there.

The second time I travelled on my own. To my surprise the owner remembered me and made me feel very welcome. All of the staff were extremely friendly during both visits.

I travel to Amsterdam a couple of times a year and from now the Prins Hendrik will definitely be the hotel of choice for me. I can't fault it as a base, most people go to see the city rather than spend all their time in the hotel.

I've read reviews where people complained of the 'exotic smoke' smells - well, you are in Amsterdam so you can't really be surprised. It can get a little noisy outside sometimes, but we certainly didn't find it disturbing. I've also read reviews where people have said the hotel itself was extremely noisy at night. In my experience the first time was a bit noisy (we went for New Year so no big surprise) and the second time there was no noise at all. I think it all depends on who is staying there really!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend a few days in Amsterdam, however if it's luxury you're after you may wish to try elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank CurleyFruit
Reviewed May 22, 2009

pros: Comparatively inexpensive and extremely convenient for a short stay in Amsterdam coming in and out of Central Station. Comfortable enough for the price. Great location if you want to be near the action.

cons: Room rather smelled (and not of weed, just general musty old smell). Something made me itch in the night (sheets?) -- but not badly. booking.com said there was wifi available at an extra charge but there was not. Desk staff asked to leave message for a friend who was coming but that friend waited around a half hour before asking herself if there was a message (i.e., no proactivity on part of staff).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo