WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Rho Hotel

Rho Hotel
Ranked #138 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Returning to an old friend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I last stayed here about 15 years ago and used to enjoy it. I returned with memories of a beautiful building convenient for Dam Square and was not dissappointed.

Check in is slow - far too slow, but you only do this once.
My room was a good sized, well decorated and quiet. It was cleaned very well every day of my stay.
I realise that this is a budget hotel, but I would have appreciated a kettle in the room, even if you had to buy the coffee sachets. Its a lot to ask guests to head down to reception to use the coffee machine.

Breakfasts are a good serve yourself buffet with plenty of choice, although personally I was not fond of the scambled eggs or bacon. However the meats, cheeses and fruit were very good. Breakfast can be a bit chaotic given the layout of the breakfast, so I recommend finding a quiet table away from the crowd. I had no problems in finding a clean table and its good to watch the efficient staff cleaning and refilling on a continuous cycle.

The building has retained its shabby chic elegance and I do like it.

Reception is really the only minus point on this place - service can be a bit lacking, but I never found it rude or unacceptable, just not as good as it can be.

The hotel is very convenient for Dam Square and the Red Light District / China Town.

I shall be returning and I wont be leaving ti so long this time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The most ignorant, arrogant and aggressive staff I have came across in any hotel. Learn some customer service skills. We will never go back. It was not only with ourselves, we witnessed them being rude to other customers, I can't believe that they have so many good reviews

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Peter W
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

main reception area is lovely, rooms are quite basic but clean, bathroom was clean, breakfast was good, location fantastic - easy distance to train station, right on Dam square (which by the way has the most expensive drinks in the whole of Amsterdam!) Eat at the restaurant next o the wine bar on the same street as the hotel - no bookings, just turn up and have one of the best meals ever

1 Thank Layla047
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at the Rho Hotel in September and had a triple room. The room was very large, even for American standards. It was very clean and basic. Smallish bathroom with little place to put your things but fine. The buffet was extensive and always fresh. The location is great; right in dam square in the middle of the action. I liken it to being the Times Square of Amsterdam. Close to many attractions including the red light district. The reason I give the Rho such high marks is for their customer service. Not only are they extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions, they were very helpful in handling a snafu that occurred during our stay. Something of mine (it was actually something I borrowed from a friend) was taken, by accident, by housekeeping and sent to the laundry. I was extremely upset and not sure how I was going to break this to my friend. Huib and the other staff were very upset that I was so upset and really went the extra mile to try to track it down. It took almost a week for them to locate the item, but they did, and even mailed it back to me in the states. I am so thankful to them for going the extra mile and helping me. Thank you, RHO staff, for all your hard work!

1 Thank rellyrooly
Rainham, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at the Rho hotel from Sept 20th-24th 2012. I have to say that it was a very pleasurable experience indeed. The room was very spacious and reasonably priced too. The hotel is situated in a great location (only a ten minute walk from Central Station). This of course, was a huge plus.
The staff were very friendly and always available if you should have the need to ask any questions, etc..The food served at Breakfast, was VERY nice. A wide variety of food and drink was available each day.
This was my eighth visit to Amsterdam and I can honestly say that it was the best hotel that I have stayed in.

1 Thank Alex L
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and I would definitely recommend it. We stayed in a triple suite which was large and spotlessly clean. We arrived after a 10 minute walk from the Central station and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. We found reception to be excellent throughout our stay. The location was perfect, on the edge of Dam Square (easy walking distance to all main attractions), and we did not experience any outside noise, despite the hotel being so central. The breakfast buffet was very good and was included in our room rate. I could not fault this hotel. If you are looking for a basic but clean and well-located hotel to stay at with friends, you would not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Rho hotel in September-October 2012 for 5 nights. The location can't be beat! We were 15 meters from Dam Square with most of the popular attractions in walking distance. Despite the location, we had no problem with noise (our rooms faced the courtyard.) The rooms were clean and everything worked, including the WiFi. But, we switched rooms after the first night because the first room we stayed in was quite small. The building used to house a theater and the rooms are quite variable. There were a few minor drawbacks: I have back problems and the soft beds were a bit of a problem. For those of you with lower back pain, I'd advise bringing a small pillow with you. The larger room had a shower but no real stall so the bathroom floor got wet whenever we showered. (The first room we stayed in had a nice shower stall.) The lighting in the room was weak. Also, there was no air conditioning. It wasn't hot while we were there and the table fan the hotel provided was quite adequate, but in the summer this might be a problem.

Rooms came equipped with flat TV's and remotes, fans, a large safe, and a wood closet with hangars.

Breakfast was served until 10:30. The food was plentiful and completely reasonable and there was a variety of things to choose from. The dining room was clean, comfortable and spacious.

The staff was outstanding! They were always helpful and very friendly. It was always pleasant to be greeted warmly whenever we returned from an outing.

Overall, despite some minor drawbacks, we very much enjoyed staying at the Rho Hotel and would happily do so again. It was a bit less expensive than some of the other alternatives we investigated and we felt we got good value for our money.

Room Tip: Room 322 faces a courtyard. Plenty of room, but a bit dark and the shower has no stall.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple