“Lovely family run hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Hestia

Hotel Hestia
Ranked #253 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Surrey
“Lovely family run hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2006

Booked this hotel fairly late on having been put off of the original one I'd booked. Found it easily from the instructions given. Easy to get to from Centraal - choice of 3 trams, and only a few minutes from tram stop. Lovely family run hotel - made us welcome. Beds comfortable, rooms are a little small, but had everything we needed including a mini-bar (farily reasonably priced) and a safe which we used. Ony criticism was that our room (number 40) was right next to reception / front doors. Consequently we were woken up early both mornings by people checking out/talking / phone ringing / radio. Breakfast was good, fresh fruit & yoghurt, cereals, toasts etc. Also we were given a 10% off voucher for the canal boat which we used. Overall we would definitely go back, but would ask for a different room!

• Liked — Friendly staff & comfy beds
  • Disliked — Noises from reception early morning
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room other than 40!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
      Location
      Check in / front desk
4 Thank lightweight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

We stayed at the hotel just 2 nights from 28th of August. The hotel was small, but very nice. I better like this kind of hotels than the big, huge glittering hotels. First of all, the staff (I think it was a family) were very kind and helpfull.
We were in the medium room. This was nice, bright and clean, little bit small but confortable (in Amsterdam everything is small :-) ) . The breakfast was good. There was breads, toast, salami, ham, cheese, eggs, müzli, joghurt, milk, jam, mixed fruits, tea, coffee and orange juice. The breakfast room was nice and clean too.
The hotel milieu and all Amsterdam was wonderful. The transport from the hotel was very easy, just a little walk and there is everything: tram station, restaurants, shops, bank and beautiful streets.
If I will go to Amsterdam I will choose this hotel.

Stayed August 2006
8 Thank Monyesz
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

I stayed here 3 nights. My single room was tiny, but functional. There was a small balcony attached and looked out onto the garden. Unfortunately it rained all 3 days so I never really enjoyed sitting on the balcony! The only problem was since I was near the stairs and on the 1st (european) floor, I could hear a lot of people clomping up and down the stairs. Also late at night I could hear the staff getting the breakfast room ready. But that is the only complaint.
The breakfast was basic, but good. The hotel was located on a residential street, so it was quiet. It's right near the Vondelpark, great for a stroll or a jog, and the Leidensplein, and several museums. It's not super close to the center, but it's a great walk, and there are several tram lines nearby. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006
      Location
      Check in / front desk
8 Thank JoannaQ
Stafford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2006

This hotel is well located near to museums, park, canal bus stop, bars and restaurants.
We had arranged a late arrival which caused no difficulties, we had room 15 and our fellow guests room 22, both are large doubles and at the rear of the hotel. Ours had a balcony and both were quiet and spacious. The stairs were steep but that’s typical of Amsterdam but the lift was fine.
The bar in the room was reasonable priced, the room was clean, with sufficient storage, the bed comfortable and there was no outside noise to disturb us. Two slightly negative points were the lack of Tea and Coffee making facilities, but if you take a travel kettle there are sufficient power points, also the temperature of the shower was a little difficult to control.
The staff were friendly and allowed us to leave our luggage after we had checked out.
The breakfast was sufficient it wasn’t particularly imaginative but was fresh and you could eat as much or as little as required.

Over all I’ve not stayed in other Amsterdam Hotels so cannot really compare but would be very happy to return to this hotel

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank marksooty
Monroe, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

I just returned this week 4-05 from a stay at the Hotel Hestia. Overall it is a great little hotel and staff were very nice and helpful. I stayed in a Single Room which looks just like the pictures on their site BUT was very tiny. They switched me after my 1st night to another single room ( not sure why). The 1st room has a balcony and garden view but was near the elevator and stairs and was a bit noisy. The 2nd room faced the street but the bathroom was larger and seemed bigger but with no balcony. Overall the only problem was hot/cold temp of the shower- hard to control and noise at night with the stairs. Otherwise it was quiet and the bed was tiny single but comfortable. The room was cleaned daily and TV had cable and decent breakfast was included. Due to Smoking rooms my room did get Smokey smell at night_ I do not smoke. But for the money and location near the Museums I would stay again. Due to bad planning I had to leave before the trams started and I needed a taxi which the staff called and arranged for me- they were great and let me check out the day before and just leave my key on the front desk. Price for the whole stay was exactly as I had booked it-no surprises.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank Melissa W
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2006

We just got back from Amsterdam having stayed at hotel hestia for 4 days, we were very pleased with this little hotel, the family who run it were very polite and friendly. The hotel is clean and in a lovely neighbourhood,its quiet at night with no street noise, but the elevator does make a bit of noise, the rooms are small, but tidy and clean,the showers could be a bit more powerful, but they did the job, breakfast was very nice and we found it to be plentiful. We would return to this hotel, we foudn it to be good value for money.

• Stayed April 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2006

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the Hestia in early March. Arriving late on a Wednesday night was not a problem, and we were in our room within 5 minutes! As we were on the 4th floor, we just about managed to get our luggage in the compact lift - luckily as like most places in Amsterdam, the stairs are steep!

We had a small double room, we knew what to expect and were very happy with it. It was clean and tidy, and the bathroom was very clean. The mini-bar is an added bonus, and we did take advantage!!! Be careful though, you can run up a bill!

The hotel is well situated, 5 minutes walk from Leidseplien [sp] area/square, which is excellent for travel links around Amsterdam [canal bus & trams].
It is also very close to the Museum area and the Vondelpark. Overall we were very happy with the Hestia, and would definetly recommend it. It made our stay in Amsterdam very enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2006