“Great place to stay”

Hotel Sint Nicolaas
Ranked #56 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Loved the stay here. Perfect location, city centre, near the train station and canals. Nice room, good bathroom, the purple colours were great. Clean room, nice view and quiet and the free wifi was goid. Great breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose a high up room for a quieter experience
1  Thank edkemp2002
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sint Nicolaas

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Very well positioned, you can actually see centraal station from the hotel, so easy to find on arrival. Staff all friendly, helpful and polite. Breakfast is good with a big selections of goodies to eat. WiFi worked perfectly through out our stay, code included when given the room card key. Wifi worked in our room and all over the hotel. There is a desktop PC and tablet in the lobby for guest use as well.

Each floor has a different colour theme, may be a bit over the top for some peoples taste but we found the decor original and fun, made a welcome change from the other faceless chains we have stayed in previously. (Gold bathroom door in our room was really cool, loved it !)
We had a room on the 3rd floor over looking the front, beds are HUGE and VERY comfortable. Room is a decent size with plenty of sockets for charging things, large TV and excellent bed side clock radio (impressive touch). Bathroom was very large, excellent shower, clean and everything worked perfectly. In room safe was useful.

Lighting is the only issue I would mention but that is due to the decor style, dark shades on the light fittings, no big deal but worth a mention if you prefer a well lit room. Windows can be opened (big asset when its hot), not much noise from other rooms or from the street below considering its bang on a main road. In conclusion we felt it was good value for its location and the facilities on offer, would have no problem recommending this hotel.
P.S. They don't replace clean glasses in room daily, so be prepared to rinse them.

Room Tip: Room 33 is larger than many others and the neighbouring room is next to the bathroom so very little...
1  Thank Vik3062
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is within easy walking distance of Centraal train station. The tram stop is a few steps in front of the hotel. There are a few nice restaurants in easy walking distance. With that said, there were other neighborhoods I would have preferred. This hotel is on the edge of the red light district. That was not a problem really, except the street behind the hotel is a bit seedy. The view out the hotel is not as pleasant as other hotels in other neighborhoods. But, in comparing this hotel with the others in the same area, the location of SN was much better. The others around the station were surrounded by construction and mess.

The hotel itself was great. We had a triple, which was small, but not ridiculous. The bathroom was nice, the beds were comfy, and it was clean. The breakfast each day was lovely. The employees we encountered were pleasant, but not overly talkative (which is fine by me).

I do recommend this hotel, especially if you are interested in staying close to the train station.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JanJarman
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Was a little expensive but the location was excellent. Room was small for 3 people but comfortable with 3 single beds in one room with an en-suite. I would stay there again as it was so close to Central and most of the attractions.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I truly loved this hotel! I was traveling with my husband and adult son, so we needed a triple room. This worked great! We took the train from the airport and were able to easily walk to the hotel. It was located close to everything. The breakfast was a very good traditional European breakfast. The staff was very willing to be of any kind of assistance necessary. After my husband left to work in France, they moved my son and I into a double early so we didn't have to completely pack up everything and put it in storage until check-in time. One night after a long day, my son and I took cheese, fruit and bread down to the lobby, bought drinks down there, and spent two quiet hours reading. It was so peaceful while the rest of Amsterdam was wildly celebrating a World Cup win. It was nice to be able to escape the hustle/bustle of the city when desired. Finally, I feel the prices here are really reasonable for the quality you get.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with a group of friends when we went on a weekend trip to Amsterdam. We stayed in a triple room for 3 nights.

Overall I was very happy with the hotel and my stay. Firstly the location was superb and it is a 5 minute walk from the train station. We visited Anne Franks, Amsterdam Dungeon and the red light district - all within walking distance. The room itself is clean and the the decor is modern, the bathroom is a decent size with a powerful shower. The beds are very soft and our room had a hairdryer and all the usual amenities you would expect. Free wifi which was handy for checking email etc. There was a continental breakfast each morning which had a range of pastries, hams, toast, coffee etc.

A couple of downsides to my stay was firstly the heat in the room was unbearable at times. There was no air conditioning, black curtains which obviously made the room warmer and no fan in the bathroom which didn't help either. There was a portable fan in the room but to be honest it didn't really make a difference. The other downside was the noise, frequent trams throughout the night kept me awake and I was faced with a catch 22 situation of opening the window and having noise or closing the window and melting with the heat! We did ask for an extra fan but were told no as it's one fan per room which was quite disappointing. The housekeeping wasn't great, our beds were made but not changed each day and little things like the glasses/mugs weren't cleaned so you had to drink out of a dirty cup. Personally I would have liked the staff to have been a bit friendlier. Not once did someone at the reception say good morning to me and they weren't very helpful around getting us things like irons/fans etc.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and it was perfect for what I was looking for. The heat was a big problem for me and it would make me wary of staying there again in the middle of summer but for somewhere reasonable priced and in a great location I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road to avoid excessive noise from the trams
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jen715
Reviewed July 5, 2014

From Central Station,look for Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal,since Spui St comes off on the west. There is traffic room noise on the N.V. side. Interesting art and design decor mark the lobby breakfast,bar halls and rooms. Many dining and Amsterdam only businesses in area.Elevator,good beds,non-functioning teapot, ample space.