“Nice hotel in a great location”

Hotel Sint Nicolaas
Ranked #58 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed in this hotel with a group of friends when we went on a weekend trip to Amsterdam. We stayed in a triple room for 3 nights.

Overall I was very happy with the hotel and my stay. Firstly the location was superb and it is a 5 minute walk from the train station. We visited Anne Franks, Amsterdam Dungeon and the red light district - all within walking distance. The room itself is clean and the the decor is modern, the bathroom is a decent size with a powerful shower. The beds are very soft and our room had a hairdryer and all the usual amenities you would expect. Free wifi which was handy for checking email etc. There was a continental breakfast each morning which had a range of pastries, hams, toast, coffee etc.

A couple of downsides to my stay was firstly the heat in the room was unbearable at times. There was no air conditioning, black curtains which obviously made the room warmer and no fan in the bathroom which didn't help either. There was a portable fan in the room but to be honest it didn't really make a difference. The other downside was the noise, frequent trams throughout the night kept me awake and I was faced with a catch 22 situation of opening the window and having noise or closing the window and melting with the heat! We did ask for an extra fan but were told no as it's one fan per room which was quite disappointing. The housekeeping wasn't great, our beds were made but not changed each day and little things like the glasses/mugs weren't cleaned so you had to drink out of a dirty cup. Personally I would have liked the staff to have been a bit friendlier. Not once did someone at the reception say good morning to me and they weren't very helpful around getting us things like irons/fans etc.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and it was perfect for what I was looking for. The heat was a big problem for me and it would make me wary of staying there again in the middle of summer but for somewhere reasonable priced and in a great location I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road to avoid excessive noise from the trams
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jen715

Reviewed July 5, 2014

From Central Station,look for Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal,since Spui St comes off on the west. There is traffic room noise on the N.V. side. Interesting art and design decor mark the lobby breakfast,bar halls and rooms. Many dining and Amsterdam only businesses in area.Elevator,good beds,non-functioning teapot, ample space.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is a short walk from the Central Train Station, close to the main tram lines and is sited amid a good selection of shops, bars and restaurants. It's also near to the departure point for many canal trips and isn't very far from numerous main tourist sites, including the famous Red Light District. Our room (no. 3) was small but pleasantly furnished with a marvellously comfortable bed and a roomy en suite bathroom with an excellent power shower. It was fun waking up to the sounds of the trams rattling through the street below and the first rays of sunlight streaming through our open window. We appreciated the BBC 24 hour news service on satellite TV and excellent fast WiFi service, but would have liked more than two sachets of coffee and rather less tea bags with the complimentary hot drinks facility in our room. Breakfast was typical of Holland, with a variety of cheeses, cold meats, bread, crackers and Danish pastries with fruit and cereal. The coffee was excellent. The staff obligingly stored our luggage for several hours after we checked out. You can't really go wrong booking this hotel as it 'does what it says on the tin'!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great location, central to everything. I think we must have got the 'dud' room as it was a tiny attic room but clean and adequate for our 2 night stay. Staff were helpful when approached, but no 'good morning' at breakfast. Good value if you want to be in walking distance to everything, lots of nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I don't think you could want more for the price at this hotel. Stayed for two night in a group of 7. They had a triple room which was great. Everything so clean, rooms nicely decorated and stylish, bathroom was great. Shower very powerful which was lovely.

The staff were really nice and accommodating and helped us place certain areas of interest on our map.

The breakfast was lovely and the coffee delicious!

Location was brilliant especially coming from the train station.

The only thing I can fault is that my mattress was waaaaaaay too squishy, but that's a personal opinion and not a big deal at all, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank piniwini
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Great Location. Nice, spacious rooms with excellent Wi-Fi and very comfortable bed. Walking distance to all the sites of Amsterdam. Breakfast was very good too! Would def stay here again/recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Had a 21 hour layover in AMS so we booked this VERY centrally located hotel for our stay.

Less than five minute walk to Centraal Station, directly across from a streetcar stop, location can't be beat.

Warm welcome, beautiful bar, huge roaring authentic fireplace. Room itself was VERY clean and comfortable. Included breakfast was a big plus.

We would ABSOLUTELY stay here again and unhesitatingly recommend it!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple