“Perfect for a Short Visit”

Hotel Sint Nicolaas
Ranked #57 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Sint Nicolaas on our way to an African safari and then 1 night on our return from the safari. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station and is in a good location for the sites and nearby restaurants. We found the hotel charming, despite some of the hallway paintings. They have a large breakfast room and a small lounge complete with a burning fireplace where they can serve a beer or such. We found this very relaxing after walking the canals all day. Their breakfast offers everything you could possibly want. Lots of fresh fruit, yogurt, croissants, toast, cereals, ham and cheese, and on and on. The rooms are not large but more than adequate and the baths are actually spacious. I've spent longer time in much smaller accommodations in France and Italy. Our room had a laminate faux-wood floor. The beds most people would find very comfortable but not hard enough for me. The windows seemed soundproofed, but we actually slept with the window cracked and never heard a peep. The street noise disappears when the trams stop running. All in all a great spot. Helpful staff as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SH208

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Hotel is well located nearby the heart of Amsterdam. Room was spacy enough, but althought it was non-smoking room, there was heavy smell of tobacco though. It did not bother me a lot. Room cleaner could have been better in dust wipe as there was some dust hanging on the wall. Tram traffic noice can be easily heard on the rooms, but you get use to it soon - or at least I did. Overall I was quite satisfied despite of these negative observations. Breakfast was ok as well, but it includes only cold elements (no bacon, scrambled eggs, porridge etc.). Well, coffee was hot ;D

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Kari T
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a fantastic location. We stayed in room 12 which had the biggest and most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The room was nicely decorated, clean and no problem with outside noise. We were checked in by a polite, friendly reception staff who allowed us to leave our bags prior and after check in. They have listened to guests comments and now provide tea/coffee in the room. Free Wi-Fi in our room and a large tv.
The hotel is central to all the attractions and felt safe.
The breakfast was typical continental, but very nice and fresh and it's included in the price.
We would stay here again next time we visit Amsterdam.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katpuss
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great location, easy 10 minute walk to the station. Nice breakfast and very reasonable price for quad room. Hotel was comfortable and clean with friendly staff. Right in the centre of everything bars, cafes shops etc but felt peaceful enough.
I felt safe in this hotel which as a small group of females is important. I just wish we had tea and coffee in the room but this seems to be an english thing?!

Room Tip: Top floor is good as further from road noise! Quad was excellent value and comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vivnista
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed here in early February. We had a lot of interaction with staff during booking process and questioned the lowest price guarantee promised on the hotel website. I had found a lower price online and they could not match it although very apologetic about that so we booked through travel republic instead of directly. The difference was substantial.
The hotel is located very close to the railway station and is a short walk, the room was well appointed and reception and check in seamless.
The hotel was very quiet in the evening and no traffic noise.
Breakfast was excellent and very fresh. The coffee machine was magic. We got to breakfast early so space was not a problem. Those arriving later ie after 9 had issues but were accommodated by sitting at the bar or in another room. I note on the weekend that a hen party arrived from the UK and made a racket but encountered no noise problems during the week.
The staff were really helpful. An example was our getting back to the airport. The staff person was aware of rail disruption and printed out an itinerary for us giving us several optional train times complete with platform assignments. That made it very easy to get back out there.
I will stay there again on my next visit but not at the "lowest price" guaranteed on the website.

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Raymondocanuck
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a perfect hotel to visit Amsterdam. The price was very very good, and the location is simply perfect. Three minutes to the Central Station, two minutes to Dam Square, close to everything at a walking distance.
Nice breakfast included. Charming atmosphere with a recent renewal and a trendy interiorism. Artificial chimeny with real fire to give a very nice atmosphere.
Bathroom new, clean and well equiped.
We had a problem regarding prices, linked to the cancelation of one of the guests. I announced such cancelation 5 days prior to arrival, and they wanted me to pay it (even the web page states clearly you can do it till 24hr. I had to discuss very seriously an much moore time than I had wanted to, stressing me a bit. Finally we arrived to an agreement -in the middle position- which did not make me happy, but I accepted.
The noise produced by the tram is clearly audible from the rooms even with windows closed, so take your room in the other side.
Even so, the overall perception is very good. I will come back to Sint Nicolass and this jewel city

Room Tip: Dont take the rooms on the tram facane, Close yourprice agreements clearly previously by mail
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Noguereisson
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I ended up staying at Hotel Sint Nicolaas after my booking at Maggy's B&B got cancelled upon arrival. The receptionist (unfortunately I do not remember his name) was very friendly and helpful, considering I made a walk-in booking, he even offered me to view the room before deciding whether I would like to stay there or not. The rest of the staff was friendly and helpful as well.

The price was a bit steep for a budget traveler, although it might had to do with my last-minute booking. However, the location of the hotel is fantastic, 5 minutes walk from the train station, right next to the city center. The surrounding streets are busy during the day, but very peaceful at night, so you can expect a good night's sleep even if your room is on the ground floor (like ours was). The room wasn't spacious, however it was cozy, tastefully decorated, and the bed was really comfortable. The breakfast buffet was satisfactory.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple