“Loved the hotel but one very inhospitable staff member”

Ranked #63 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Padua, Italy
“Loved the hotel but one very inhospitable staff member”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here on 2 occasions , the reason I came back was because of the lush and very comfortable beds, the cleanliness and the helpfulness of the staff, all be they casual in manner , they were very helpful and caring . Until on my last morning there when I was greeted by Abihet the young Ethiopian receptionist who had a distinctly bad attitude toward me. I came down to breakfast 10 minutes early everything was already set up so I got myself a coffee and bowl of fruit , sat down and began to partake of my breakfast. Abihet then came over looked at me as if I was a naughty child and scowled at me that breakfast begins at 7 am. By this time it was 6.55... I said I am sorry i was unaware of the time breakfast commenced ..I need to catch an early train, his exact words were " you should have read the instructions on the pamphlet you were given when you checked in, and the rules are the rules and they must be obeyed.. "" yes he used the words "rules"
I explained to Abihet I had to catch an early train , with a sour face he said that is not his problem , the rules are the rules.
I was wondering how the owner might have felt about this young man making such a statement to a guest. I was the only one in the room... i felt awful, I felt terrible being told off by this guy.. as if i was really committing some crime here. I have run hotels and if it had been me i would suggest to the clients we do normally open at 7 am but you are welcome to take your breakfast a few minutes early from the buffet. Would this not have made me feel welcome ? would this not make me want to come back next time i visit Amsterdam ?
I can only hope the owners read this and dismiss this young man who might be better suited to a career as a parking meter officer or maybe a court summons server . His demeanour and attitude certainly did not match that of the other fine workers there or the standard of the place.
I would highly recommend this hotel , for everything except Abihet the receptionist who hopefully will not be there next time i come to amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Saskiagrav
JosKaarsgaren, Manager at Hotel Sint Nicolaas, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear,
First of all I would like to thank you for your stay in hotel Sint Nicolaas and your review on
Tripadvisor.

The behavior of the man at the desk is unacceptable and most definitely not the way we treat our guests.

The matter will be discussed with him and I will make clear his behavior will not be tolerated in our hotel team.

I’m really sorry for the way you have been treated.

Furthermore I would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel and the rest of the staff.

Kind regards,

J. Kaarsgaren
Hotel manager
Hotel Sint Nicolaas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The position of the hotel can not be faulted, easy walk to all places and across the road from Amsterdam central.The staff where of the utmost help and very courteous.The breakfast was sufficient .The rooms are rather small but the bathrooms where quite large and clean.The ambiance of the hotel was great to sit down after a weary day out chatting with staff over a cold beer.Over all if you had a short stay in Amsterdam i would recommend this hotel as the staff where quite brilliant !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nice, France
Reviewed September 19, 2012

we checked out today from the sint nicolaas and realized upon our return to France to continue our trip that our bags were gone through and jewelry and gifts were stolen while we were downstairs eating their brunch. An obvious inside job as the room door was locked and access by card key only. This has ruined my 70 yr old mother's trip and we shall never return to amsterdam! WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank sharon m
Dear,

Thank you for your review.

As I wrote to you in a private email, this cannot have happened in hotel Sint Nicolaas.
We checked all camera footage, no one but yourselves entered the room.
This proves the items have not been taken from your room.

Hotel Sint Nicolaas cannot take any responsibility for your lost items, if they have not been taken from the hotel room.

If you still have any doubts, you can contact the Amsterdam police for information about the camera footage.

I’m sorry we cannot assist you any further in this particular case.

Either way I hope you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Kind regards,

J. Kaarsgaren
Hotel manager
Reviewed September 19, 2012

5 mins from train station
easy to find. walk out from station. walk towards da right side of da station where the taxi rank is.
cross the bridge, pass traffic lights, straight ahead. literally 5 mins or less!
Dam Square is 5 mins behind the hotel
there is a coffee shop right outside the hotel so is great for people who is a big fan of weed. is so close to the hotel that u cannot miss it and is literally a few steps haha

service wasnt the greatest now. especially the girl in blonde who served me on the first day. she is not the nicest receptionist at all. she didnt seem like she cares about anything at all!
dont expect loads of variety for breakfast either. Is enuf to fill you up but nothing more.
and you have to pay for 10euro deposit to have the iron LOL
room itself was ok. clean.
the main good thing about this hotel is just the location I reckon :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Derby
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Great big comfy beds, lovely decor and clean rooms. The only small down side was the unhelpful/ rude man at reception... I think he was just covering for a while as we didn't see him again for the duration of our stay. All other staff were great. The continental breakfast was plentiful and there was a wide range of cheese, meats, spreads etc.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Maybe I just got unlucky, surely looks that way with the official pictures. However I arrived with high expectations and left extremely disappointed.

I was put on the top floor in room 47, and wow! I was luck if there was more than 3 feet of space around the bed and less than that over my head. Trust me this is not the room for you if you like getting up in the dark. Stuck in the rafters, the bed sits under and between the roof beams, so unless you want to risk a cracked head! you find yourself sleeping further down the bed and let your feet hang off the end.

On the plus side the room had nice TV and the ensuite was a good size. Cleanliness and decor was very much average and nowhere near what the official pics lead you to believe.

The breakfast was awful, crammed in a small corner, there's your usual Dutch continental breakfast, which I've never been the biggest fan of. There was a plate for boiled eggs which was empty and when I asked for them to be refilled I was told 20mins, no explanation or apology from the staff member handling breakfast just a flat 20mins. If it was busy I could understand but it wasn't.

I decided to go out for breakfast.

Other positive, good location, free wifi (i'm righting this from the hotel)

Would I stay here again? No, there are plenty better to choose from in this price bracket

I'll add some photo's later

Room Tip: if you do intend to stay here, avoid the top floor and stick to the back of the hotel