“My favourite hotel in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fita

Hotel Fita
Ranked #12 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edinburgh
“My favourite hotel in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I adore Amsterdam, and visit regularly--on my own and with my family (we have two young kids). I have, at last, found my favourite hotel in this charming city.

The Hotel Fita is located on a quiet pedestrian street within a stone's throw of the Van Gough and Rijksmuseum, and in the other direction, close to one of the city's exclusive shopping streets (perfect for window-shopping). The Concertgebouw is no more than 6 mins' walk; the stunning Vondelpark is within a 2-min walk, and Bus-197 stops very close by--so you can get to/from Schiphol in 15 minutes for 4 euros. Within 10 minutes of my arrival, the owner Roel had done the following: arranged for me to rent a bike (good idea); booked dinners are nearby restaurants (they were excellent and inexpensive); handed me an annotated map; had my speedy wifi working (no extra charge). Was I happy? Delighted.

What's unique about this hotel? First, this building is a typical charming canal-house that is _not_ typically cramped and awkward. There is a lift (if you're not keen on steep stairs), and the energetic family who owns the hotel has not spared any expense to ensure everything works, everything is spotlessly clean, and that the guests' needs are paramount.

Second, the rooms (I have stayed in two and seen three) are bright, newly-refurbished, and have Nespresso machines at our disposal. The showers are hot and powerful. The beds are new and the sheets are probably Egyptian cotton. The breakfast is excellent (eggs and pancakes in addition to cold options); the "honesty bar" is open 24hrs and has whatever cold drinks you can think of--for just 2 euros each. Yes, a glass of wine for 2 euros. Where else would you find that in Amsterdam? There is a large grocery store nearby. I should add that there are two primary schools nearby too--but that only adds to the neighbourhood atmosphere: it's nice to step outside and see kids running around. The street feels more like the Upper-West side in Manhattan than the stereotypical cold polish of an exclusive European quartier.

I will be back, and next time I'll bring my kids. That's another bonus: Roel says that he charges just a nominal extra kids' beds in their parents' rooms--this will add up to a big savings. In my experience most European hotels require a full second room at a full second price.

What a great stay. Go Fita!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 22 which was large and had a charming balcony. When I decided to stay for any extra...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank anes1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Two weekend nights in January.

The Room: Small - typical european, and standard for Amsterdam. The space is used very efficiently - which can be a problem if you have lots of electronic gadgets like myself. But the room is nice and clean and the bed was comfortable.

The staff... well, I don't know how to say this any stronger, but probably the most helpful of any recent trip I've been on. I'd still stay here again if the rooms were much worse because of this.

Service a breakfast in the morning. They may offer you a small pancake (they did the day I was there). You are a fool to say no: just the right amount of crispy and sugar combined).

My main complaint: my room was just one floor up and in the back. There is a hostel just out there and lots of people hang out there smoking and coming and going at all hours... and are loud. Try to avoid that room if you can. :-)

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the back&low floors (front on any floor should be ok) due to noise from hostel ba...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Gordon W
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Our extended family of 5 all loved the Fita. Whilst rooms were simply furnished they were spotlessly clean; hot water in bathroom and coffee machine in each room.
The position is great (in museum area) but easy to walk to city centre -- or just catch a tram.
The young owners are sensational. Nothing is too much trouble. They treat you as if you are the only guest and spend time making sure you know where to go, what to visit , where to eat. As others have written, breakfast is delicious . A weeks load of dirty clothes was cleaned free of charge! We will definitely stay here again if lucky enough to return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank meganaus
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I really cannot praise this hotel highly enough. From the moment we walked in, me and my husband were met with a very warm welcome and handshakes from Martijn, who then clearly explained everything in respect of timings for breakfast (particularly over New Year), the 'honesty' bar, local sights to see, etc, before being shown to our spacious, spotlessly clean room. Each of the staff we met over our 4 night stay were all as charming and friendly as Martijn and couldn't have been more helfpul. And the breakfasts were amazing too! Not only a delicious buffet and freshly prepared hot bacon and scrambled eggs each morning but the option of freshly made pancakes which my husband said were delicious!

My comment about 'not for light sleepers' is not a criticism of the hotel though. The hotel is very centrally located and we stayed over New Year so predictably, people were letting off fireworks all New Year's Eve Day and Night - I am sure if we'd stayed at a different time of year, we wouldn't have noticed the noise.

Finally, I have to praise the staff for their reaction to something unfortunate that happened during our stay. Despite being a 'no smoking' hotel, the people in the room next to ours decided to smoke the absolutely disgusting smelling 'skunk' and the smell filtered through to our room. We went and spoke to one of the hotel staff who immediately went and reprimanded the other guests who despite pathetically denying they were smoking, ceased and then the room was thankfully ventilated and sprayed with air-freshener. We very much appreciated the staff member's prompty action.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
7 Thank alimarcam
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We just returned from a week's stay at the Hotel Fita. It was a wonderful vacation - but, I do have to say that arriving at the hotel with 3 heavy bags in hand at 11:00 in the morning and looking at the steep entry stairs made me think, "uh oh"! Fortunately, there was a lift just large enough for our 3 bags - which was great because our room was on the third floor! We were greeted by Queenie, who was very kind and patient with us - we were a bit jet lagged (and grumpy), but she made us feel welcome and got us into our rooms right away.

If you asked our daughters, they would say the best thing about the hotel was the breakfast, in particular, the dutch pancakes. They were terrific! Breakfast was the same every day: scrambled eggs (fluffy and light), bacon (salty and delicious), yogurt, granola, dried fruit, baked goods, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, toast. But, there was enough variety that you had the opportunity to try everything.

The rooms were nice and clean. A regular room with a comfortable bed. If you're looking for a posh, five star room - you should find another hotel. Hotel Fita is comfortable and clean. All you really need since you won't be staying in the room for long periods of time. There's so much to see and do in Amsterdam - you really just want to come back to a room that is inviting and comfortable.

Free internet was fantastic and so valuable when looking for a good restaurant or checking the train schedules. But, for me - the best thing was the free laundry service! We didn't need to bring 3 bags of luggage! Laundry was sent out in the a.m. and when we returned in the evening, our clean laundry was waiting for us!

Roel and Martijn were such wonderful hosts! And, so young! They spent time with each guest, asking how they could help, what we all needed - such great hoteliers!

Location: IT CAN'T GET ANY BETTER! The tram (#2 and 5) are right outside your door (all right, it's around the corner!), the Diamond Museum, Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are all within close walking distance. If you like shopping, the "Rodeo Drive" of Amsterdam is a block over from the hotel - nice for window shopping after a heavy meal. There is a supermarket (Albert Heijn) close by for wine and cheese. And, there are several nice restaurants within walking distance. Roel and Martijn are happy to make reservations for you or make suggestions for restaurants in other areas of the city.

We know that when we return to Amsterdam, our base will be the Hotel Fita. Thanks Roel and Martijn for a wonderful and restful stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in 30 and 32. Room 32 had a small balcony with doors that opened - very nice. Room 30 wa...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Terry O
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband and I came to Amsterdam on Dec. 27th and stayed 2 nights with Hotel Fita. We were impressed with the welcome email before we even left home, our welcome when we got there and the lovely thank you email when we got back home! Roel was our first impression of the hotel and couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. He gave us many ideas of where to go and what to see. Our room was immaculate and quaint. The breakfasts on both mornings were delicious and there were plenty of choices of what to have including amazing homemade pannekoek! The location is perfect to get to the canals, the museums, the transit... Roel's brother (sorry can't remember his name..) was also lovely when he waited on us in the breakfast room and super friendly, as was the young woman. It was a wonderful stay and everything was clean and comfortable and we would recommend a stay here to anyone.

Room Tip: suggest not staying at the front of the building due to noise from dwelling next door; obviously not...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris F
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Thank you to Roel for making us feel very welcome. This stay was the second time in Amsterdam and Hotel Fita wasn't open the first time we came. Roel was very happy to help us with all questions we had. We stayed here for five nights over the new years period and felt very safe walking the streets at night. This hotel is close to van gough museum. Easy walk to vondelpark. Overall, Amsterdam is for now my favourite city in the world!

Thanks Roel for making this stay enjoyable this time around, we will be back again to stay here

• Stayed January 2012