“Good location, place to rest your head”

Prinsengracht Hotel
Ranked #175 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 3, 2014

No frills, just a room with a bed in a good location.

Stayed in a wing room. The way these are situated are, two single rooms (think university dorm size), a shared door between the two and a washroom in one of the rooms, so someone will have to be open with sharing their space for the other to go to the washroom.

Common practice, they give you a physical key and you give it to them when you return.
There's a common room safe shared between the two rooms.

No fridge or dresser, there is a tall clothes hanger, table with monitor and a couple power outlets. That's about it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
e s, General Manager at Prinsengracht Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear David,

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again as our guest in The Hampshire Prinsengracht Hotel.

We hope the Twin room was what you had expected.

Best regards
E. Schreurs

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hotel at the end of October. While my room was small (I was travelling alone on a budget), it was exactly what I had expected based on the information on the website. Given the high cost of hotels in Amsterdam, I feel I got value for money. The hotel is clean and staff are friendly. It may be looking a bit tired, but certainly did not impact how I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 kids of 10 and 7) spent 2 nights at the Hampshire Hotel. We had rented the garden house, which comprises 2 bedrooms (one with double bed, one with 2 singles) and a bathroom. The rooms were spacious and well-equiped, but had a damp atmosphere, and some of the floor boards gave way under weight, suggesting water damage to the underlying construction. Heating worked well though, but the towel dryer in the bathroom could not be turned off, turning the bathroom into a sauna. Otherwise very quiet, and reasonably clean with OK matrasses and pillows. Friendly personnel, but expensive breakfast (12,50 EU pp, kids half price). Location is unbeatable though, with Leidscheplein, Rembrandtplein, Rijksmuseum, van Gogh museum etc. within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Evert H
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok, you cant judge a place at first glance, the lobby was pretty good looking for the age of the place, the staff was great, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a good one . now getting to the room when we walked in the room I stopped and no way! since on our trip through Germany and staying at 4 star hotels this place was hmmm lets see very basic the carpet was not as clean as it should be but I must say after being out all night and coming back to sleep I had the best nights sleep there and the view from the room was beautiful. the location is good for walking to most main attraction's just watch out for the bicycles.

Room Tip: the room on the top floor facing west was the best view for sunsets an the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights at the Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht at the beginning of this month and I couldn't be happier with my stay.

The room we were initially given (208) was directly next to the lift (which is surprisingly quiet and smooth and DOES have an inner closing door despite what the sign says. Also, the stairs aren't anywhere near as bad as most other places in Amsterdam) and a bit underwhelming compared to the pictures. I politely asked to be moved and straight away we were transferred to room 204 which is gorgeous, massive and overlooking the courtyard.

The staff are incredibly friendly and so so helpful. On one of the days I asked the lady at reception about free things to do in Amsterdam and she gave me 2 maps, told me pretty much everything she could think of and then spent 5 minutes looking things up on the internet for me!
This is above and beyond what I expect from hotel staff.

The bed was delightful. Very soft and comfortable. We both slept very well for the entire trip.

My only issues would be my partner getting what appear to be a lot of bed bug bites, however I am completely bite free. If they are bed bug bites, I would say they came from a pillow he took down from a cupboard rather than the mattress, or the sheets and pillows on the bed which were changed daily.

I recommend this hotel if you can find a reasonable room rate. If we'd had to pay full price, I wouldn't be as impressed as I am. We got a good deal through Booking.com.

Room Tip: The lift isn't actually that loud but room 204 is massive and absolutely gorgeous with views ove...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a small cosy hotel in a great location. It was walking distance to most of the places we wanted to visit - Ann Frank Museum etc. It is right on the Prinsengracht Canal and it was nice leaving the hotel every morning and stepping out next to the canal.

When you enter the hotel, you first have to go down a small flight of stairs (a hassle if you have a number of large bags!) then push a door open into a small reception area. The reception area leads into a small dining area where buffet breakfast is served every morning. The dining room is well presented; the breakfast was simple but good - bacon and eggs, toast, cereal etc.

I think we were fortunate with our room allocation - rather than staying in the main building, we were roomed in a small flat ("granny flat") in the back garden. It consisted of 2 rooms (one QB, 2 singles) sharing a bathroom. It suited our family - couple with 2 young kids - perfectly! The rooms were simply furnished and warm (a blessing on those cold winter nights!) but not very well lit and rather dirty. There was dust swirling in the corners of the rooms and under the tables but if you shut your eyes to them, the accommodation was fine!

Service was good; staff behind the counter were generally helpful with directions etc.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. For the price we paid, I think we got a fair deal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Prinsengracht hotel website promises much more than they give for real. The hotel is outdated, small room, electricity is dangerous, shower and toilet must be replaced and a bad bed. It looks very cheap. No 3-stars value for your money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com