“Great Stay in Amsterdam”

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Stadsdoelen
Ranked #36 of 249 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Nice Place (As a Hostel), Close to the central station around 5 mins walk close to the city center 10 mins (Dam Square), Nice accommodation although been in 20 beds dorm. great breakfast and very helpful receptionists.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2010

A group of 6 of us travelled over to Amsterdam (from UK) for a weekend. We left the accommodation to one of our freinds to sort out. We ended up in this place, and were dissapointed to find we were in a room/dorm of 16 beds.

After getting over the initial shock, we looked around and to be fair the place wasn't bad. It was clean, the bedding we were given was fresh and the bathroom area was also clean. Breakfast was suprisingly good as well.

As I say in the title of this, I wouldn't normally choose to stay in a hostel, but we stayed for 2 nights and there was no trouble at all.

I would recommend it as far as a hostel, but my personal preference would be to pay more money and have a room/bathroom to myself.

I won't stay here again, but I wouldn't put off those folk who are used to Hostels

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank erictcow
Reviewed September 9, 2010

It´s in a very good location. I booked a room shared with 16 people and no problem at all. The room was huge and I had some privacy. There were also a lot of showers, toilets so you didn´t have to wait for anything.
The breakfast was really really good for a Hostel, even much better than the breakfast in a good hotel. It had fresh juice, toasts, cerals, jam, ham, yogurt, coffee machine with a wide variety of coffees.
The bed was really comfortable and the sheets were clean. As a bad point: there was not internet for free and the prices of 15 min was 1,50.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I am surprised this place has such low reviews! I loved my stay here. It was very safe, clean, and comfortable, and I loved the location! There was an amazing eetcafe very nearby which has a stunning patio right on the canal (no barriers, it's like eating on a dock!) and they have wonderful cappucinos! The canal is literally right outside the door and there is a great restaurant called In De Waag nearby which was a weigh house in the medieval era. Really cool. Very nice area, lots of trams nearby. The bed was so comfy that on certain days I didn't even want to get up! Met a fellow Canadian traveller who we hung out with. The desk staff were really helpful. I was giving a paper at an academic conference and I needed my paper printed so I asked them for the nearest internet cafe that had printing as an option. Instead of sending me across town looking for one, the lady printed my paper there for me! They were also great about giving directions, phoning taxis, and making suggestions about restaurants and things to do. Fabulous hostel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Yes its true you can't blame the mood of guests on the hostel themselves, but I have to say I had the most rudest dorm mates around! I would say hello and not get anything back and everyone was just hardcore not going to say hello or good morning...Hopefully there was a shy convention in town.

Getting to the hostel itself was easy, I loved the walk. Also one of the staff at the front desk was cute and helped me out heaps when I was sleep deprived and in need of wanting to wash my clothes (AHHHHH...now I know why no one wanted to talk to me!). I even washed my clothes without detergent, so she happily gave me more tokens to do another cycle and I could add detergent to the machine.

The breakfast was yes all you can eat, but the funniest thing was right on 9.30am, everything was packed away. 9.30am was when breakfast finished (or whatever time it was, I can't remember)...so too bad if you get there a minute past when breakfast is finished. Also found it a bit weird with the lockers all outside, nonetheless at least things were secure.

Hopefully there's more friendly people if I ever come back and stay in Amsterdam - but I think i found a place that was a lot more closer to the action. It's not a bad place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This is a fairly standard hostel experience, you get huge rooms sharing many beds, large communal bathrooms and a large breakfast room.

Some goods things to comment upon would be the good security - Lockers at reception and just outside the rooms as well as card entry to halls and rooms. Also, you can eat as much as you want for breakfast.

Everything else is pretty bad, it's very dirty both in the rooms, hallways and bathrooms (Mostly guest made, but the hostel doesn't seem to clean regularly). Many people have complained about bed bugs and I can confirm this for myself, I woke up on the last night with a pain in my arm - a bedbug was lodged in there and I had to pull him out with a tweezers (bloody & yuck!). Also, you may be able to eat as much as you want for breakfast, but the choices are limited to some bread, ham, cheese and two cereals and fake coffee.

Another complaint is the staff, they seemed very cheery at first but asking them some questions usually got a response that was either very brief, not particularly helpful or in one case just plain patronising.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aj8973
Reviewed February 3, 2009

What was good: the price and location

What was bad: The place smelled, there were no lights in the bathroom, the bathroom smelled and looked HORRIBLE. The bedroom was crowded.

Basically, we kept our time in the place to a minimum. If you need a cheap place to sleep, this place is OK, but I wouldn't spend more time than necessary there.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends