“Best hostel in our trip”

Stayokay Hostel Amsterdam Stadsdoelen
Ranked #29 of 229 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Panama City, Panama, Panama
“Best hostel in our trip”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We started our trip in Amsterdam so this hostel set the bar for all hostels to come.
The breaksfast was really good: coffee, juice, bread, cheese, ham. The beds are really comfortable. The lockers are big enough to keep a small suitcase. Showers are big and there is hot water.
The hostel is very well located, a few blocks from everything.
Rooms were clean, staff was helpful, there is free WiFi.
I will definitely go back to this hostel if I'm ever in Amsterdam again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hostel is just average. Whereas it is in the Stayokay family, it's quality is inferior to other Stayokays I've visited.
The location of the hostel is great, it's within walking distance with the tram station and many attractions.
The room was a 12 female-bed bedroom, that has three sinks and lockers. The bathrooms are located outside the rooms and are mixed. They are just OK. Sometimes they're clean, sometimes they're not.
We had a small issue where one pipe broke, and the water fell on one of my friend's locker. The management responded very quickly to our complaint and the fixed it right away. They closed the shower with the broken pipe and had a plumber called.
When it comes to cleanliness of the room, well, I saw a mouse one of the nights we were there. I don't know if all the houses in Amsterdam have them, but I'm not used to that. The restaurant is in another floor and it was very clean. So I leave you cleanliness to judge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MarleeM
Orewa, New Zealand
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My four friends and I stayed here in May 2012, we left our booking very late and ended up in the only room available to accommodate all of us - 20 bed mixed dorm! I have never slept in a room with this many people before, let alone being in a mixed room so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

Beds are allocated and we were lucky enough to be put in a semi private corner of the room with a window, which I actually think was the best spot in the room. It also meant we could spread our stuff out without being in the way of other people.

I had read previous reviews about the lockers being outside the room which I wasn't quite sure about security wise, but in a way it was actually quite a good idea. So you need your room key to get into the locker room, which you walk all the way through to get into the bedroom (where you use your room key again to get through that door). It means people arent coming and going at all hours, rustling through their bags, opening and closing zips & disturbing those who are sleeping - because you can sort your bag in the locker room. The lockers are huge which is great because unlike a lot places you can actually fit your whole bag in there. I had a massive backpack & still had heaps of room left over inside my locker. & the locker corresponds to your bed number, just make sure you have your own padlock.

One issue we did have with the room was the lightswitches and the positioning of them. First of all the one right by the door didnt work, but we could see there were a few lights in the roof so went looking for more switches - the other two switches were at the complete other end of the room, one was between two sets of bunks, and the other was in our little corner. It was a very wierd layout & if it was dark then you would have a great deal of trouble trying to find your way to the switch. I think the beds should've had their own personal bedlights like most hostels - this just seems courteous to everyone.

The bathroom is also unisex and seemed to be a decent size, however some of the toilet cubicles were very dark and needed more light in them. & I think some air freshners in there would be a great idea because with that many people using them, it did get a little smelly... Showers were pretty good, both had hooks and a shelf to hang/put your towel & clothes. However the bathroom floor appeared to be constantly wet which was very frustrating.

The included breakfast was good, had a nice variety, although was a bit of pain when clearing your plates and having to take them downstairs and down the hall to the kitchen for washing. I think they could have bins in the breakfast room where you separate your dishes there instead (same as what you do in the kitchen, just without having to take them anywhere).

Location was great, seemed to be pretty close to everything - I say it 'seemed to be' because for the whole 4 days I was there I never managed to get my bearings (Lucky I was travelling with guys who could read a map lol)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yecart_01
Maryland
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped for lunch and each enjoyed a sandwich. My husband enjoyed his vegetarian panini and I enjoyed a carpaccio sandwich. My hazelnut latte was lackluster though- most likely made from a quick brew machine (think Wawa or 7-11).

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoBruiserGo
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I really liked this hostel and it was a good price. The staff were friendly, breakfast was good and the rooms and bathrooms were clean - not a lot more you could ask for! The lockers were a decent size - you can take a padlock or buy one for not a lot of money. It was in an excellent location within the city, next to the red light district, but out of the main area so it was quiet enough to sleep with windows open.
Would definitely recommend this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lizzie075
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 10, 2012

It is really close to Rembrandtplein Square.15 minutes by walking from.the Dam Square.
A good place to meet new people.
Perhaps too many people in a room.I was with 9 other girls.Rooms are clean and bathrooms too during the day but not in night.
The price is almost the same in every B&B in Amsterdam.
You can eat whatever you want in breakfast:-) it is really good.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank lisbeth7219
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Amsterdam is not Berlin, so don't expect hostels to be like Circus or Wombats hostels. By Amsterdams standards Stayok is the best option, even better than famous Flying pig in my opinion.
The rooms are spacious, there are no tricky stairs like in Amigo hostel ( which is so tiny and steep that looks more like an aticus than a hostel) . The crew is great specially a blond girl whose name I ca not remember.
Breakfast is terrible though, really lame! Location is ok! By far the best option in Amsterdam, we been arround and visited many of the well known hostels to find a room (Bobs not nice atmosphere, Flying pig eigther)

• Stayed June 2012