“A*+ / Best Hostel in Amsterdam!”

St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
Ranked #15 of 249 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This Hostel is a A*+ Rating. I'm not an easily pleased customer, however at the Winston the service is efficient and friendly and the decor and atmosphere in the Hostel is fab! I travelled with a friend for her 21st Birthday on the Fri 24th Jan - Mon 27th Jan, of where we stayed at the Winston in a 6 bed mixed dorm. Both female and I would say we both didn't find the Hostel area 'Seedy' like it says in some reviews I came across. The location of the Hostel is excellent! 2 mins from Dam square and 5 Mins to the Central station (Do not get confused between the two when looking for transportation once you arrive in Amsterdam to the Hostel.) However you do have some of the Redlight district to the back of you, parallel with the Hostel, we did not find this a problem at all but I know some might. The street of where the Hostel is located is packed with Cafe's, Bar's, Food outlets, the Winston's own nightclub; 1/2 price entry to guests! and also the Infamous 'Condom Shop'. The Food at the Hostel is like decent pub grub in the UK, The bed's are incredibly comfortable (esp. for bunk beds.), the cleanliness of the Hostel is to a 4* Hotel standard, fresh bed linen and towels per day, indoor and outdoor smoking area, electronic lockers for baggage - 4 euro for the whole day (If you have a late flight). The only reservation I would say would be that once on one night I heard the nightclub's music and I was on the 5th floor, however it wasn't unbearable and rolled over and went back to sleep - as I guess most of the guests there are intoxicated (as was I), so it doesn't matter too much. It also looked so much better than any other Hostel we passed on that street. Would certainly Recommend this Hostel 100% if you are visiting Amsterdam and are on the search for Hostels I'd say you would get no better than here. Can not sing it's praises more. BOOK UP! In addition I am glad that I have booked my Paris stay with this chain, I look forward to see what is on offer there!

Room Tip: They offer a variety of rooms, so choose whats best for you!
1  Thank Georgia G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The staff were pretty unhelpful, if not downright rude. When the wifi was playing up the lady at the desk said that it was my phone even though I said that I was coming on behalf of others who also couldn't connect, and she made no effort to rectify the situation. They don't have a luggage storage room, they only have lockers which you have to pay for which I found quite annoying. The hostel has a great vide downstairs in terms of its nightlife, but if you want to sleep at 11 (like we did the night we first arrived) you don't have a chance. Even on the 3rd floor you could hear the music loudly and clearly. All that being said the beds were great. Super clean and a great ensuite in the dorm. Also the location was just great. Right in the centre of town.

Room Tip: As high up as you can to avoid extra noise!
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Being in the RLD, the is noise all night. Furthermore, the bar downstairs is loud and people smoke indoors. That said, each room is modern and decorated in a kinky/suggestive style. Staying here is a cultural experience, like visiting the city itself.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time in St Christopher. Great breakfast. Pretty clean and confortable. Also we had a locker so safety is ok and they ask for your entrance key any time you want to go in. From my experiency I deeply recomend this place. Includes towels that they change it every day, confortables beds... Also we meet many other travellers. Best suggestion

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2014

In general a good place to stay however our 2nd night when at the hotel bar the bar staff were extremely rude. When wanting to complain and ask for a manager, as the barman was sneakily trying to serve water when asking for alcoholic beverages, the staff elsewhere were not interested and advised it was nothing to do with them. The barman then proceeded to get security and kick a lot of people out of the bar. We weren't asked to leave however, we felt extremely uncomfortable in our own accommodation and left to go elsewhere. Really disappointing.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I have just comeback from this hotel and wouldn't put it high on my list of good hotels.

The layout of the hotel is good in the bar/restaurant area with enough tables and chairs to accommodate a large number of people, and the staff are friendly.

It was the rooms I had varied issues with.

The bathroom was as big as a pantry/larder, I quite literally had my knees touching against the shower screen door during defecation!

The shower door leaked to the extent that a minor flood was started every morning, this may be the reason for all the canals in Amsterdam!!

The sink was too small to handle the water pressure coming from the tap, so it looked like I had urinated myself when I brushed my teeth on the first morning.

The towels provided were too small to fit around a child's doll (I'm assuming this, as I didn't take a doll with me)

My bed had two rather distinctive brown stains on it, which was only noticed on the second day!

If you want a hotel purely to dump your bags in, go out and get obliterated and then comeback and pass out - come here. However, if you want any home comforts at all - Don't

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Very centrally located near the shopping area and red light district. Simple breakfast but enough to get you on your way. Fun, knowledgable, multi-national staff. Bed was comfy with a super cozy down comforter (an upgrade to most hostels which offer just a blanket). Belushi's is a great spot to meet people, with deals on food and drinks.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo